2014 FIFA World Cup

UnclearInitial

Completely underwhelming kits for USMNT...I'm all for simplicity but Nike really phoned this one in. It's as if the person in charge forgot they were "due" 15 minutes before a meeting (class) and threw this together.

Bring back the hoops!

Honestly I think these are the worst US WC kits in nike's history. The whites look like they belong to England or France and the change looks like it belongs to a Central American or Balkan state. There is nothing that connects these kits to anything that resembles the history of the national team.

100% fail.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay so my initial reaction to the US away kit was to say I just didn't really like it that much. After talking to one of my buddies he said "I like it, it's kind of in your face red, white and blue." Now that I have looked at it from that sort of 'Merica standpoint I can honestly say it is growing on me a little. I mean I would have much preferred we do a red and white hoops kit with navy shorts and white socks for our homes and a navy shirt with a white sash and white shorts and navy socks as our away set but it could be worse. We could be any Adidas team other than Russia and Argentina. Spain, Nigeria and Mexico all look awful. Germany while not looking bad has completely thrown tradition out the window. Columbia just looks ho hum and they also threw tradition out the window on those kits. I would much rather have our just ok Nike kits than any of the crap Adidas has put out this year.

Upon a day of reflection I still don't care for it. I don't like monochrome crests, but they really don't make sense to me on a shirt that uses one the team/club's colors.

I think the USA away shirt is the worst of the bunch for Nike so far this WC cycle.

Footy Headlines realized the crest color was off and they corrected it. USA+2014+World+Cup+Away+Kit.jpg

Screams Eastern Europe....ugh. Such a good run for US National team jerseys, too bad it's gone.

Canada seems to just grab a template kit and slap their logo on it. Even when they were with adidas they had generic uniforms. I was happy with the USA home but these away kits need to never be worn. I'd keep the current navy over these. And I'm not a fan of those.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Upon a day of reflection I still don't care for it. I don't like monochrome crests, but they really don't make sense to me on a shirt that uses one the team/club's colors.

I think the USA away shirt is the worst of the bunch for Nike so far this WC cycle.

Exactly. I get it on shirts like Mexico's that was black with gold accents. It doesn't make sense to just take red out of the crest when the kit is primarily red.

As for the rest of the kit, I'm not a big fan. It's kind of a generic looking red/white/blue, which might be a little strange since I really like the home shirt.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Someone on the Big Soccer forums modified the shirt into this variation. Wouldn't really work as a clash with all the white but as a stand alone concept, I think this version works well.

qpl36p.jpg

Put some stars on the shoulders and it would probably make it look even better

Someone on the Big Soccer forums modified the shirt into this variation. Wouldn't really work as a clash with all the white but as a stand alone concept, I think this version works well.

qpl36p.jpg

This would've worked for USA Hockey's Olympic jerseys too IMO.

This looks brilliant:

2293266_XLARGE-LND.jpg

Does it ever, my goodness. France looks incredible; thank "the whatever high atop the thing" for the white shorts and red socks. Holland looks damn fine too even with the Oranje head to toe. They'll look even better when they pair with the white shorts. And that number font? ....hot damn Nike.

How can they crush these and leave the US kits with so much to be desired? Granted, I don't loathe the home kits like most people here seem to but still. Get it together.

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

This looks brilliant:

2293266_XLARGE-LND.jpg

Does it ever, my goodness. France looks incredible; thank "the whatever high atop the thing" for the white shorts and red socks. Holland looks damn fine too even with the Oranje head to toe. They'll look even better when they pair with the white shorts. And that number font? ....hot damn Nike.

How can they crush these and leave the US kits with so much to be desired? Granted, I don't loathe the home kits like most people here seem to but still. Get it together.

Well, Holland is just something Nike did for almost everyone, going for class and uncluttered kits. Same with France. On both of these, it turned out better than what we could have expected. However, they just didn't try to do the same for the US. They went with pin-hoops and a change that was split in half, still simple and uncluttered, but to busy to compare to those two kits up there, who already have great colours to work with, while royal blue and bright red doesn't always produce the best results by just slapping it onto a template like most of Nike's kits do.

So I get what Nike was trying to do with the US kits, but they just didn't deliver.

I think the biggest problem with the USA kit is the lack of American in the actual kit iself. Looking at the France and Netherlands kit makes it very easy for pretty much anyone to identify them. Those kits truly reflect the nations as a whole. The United States doesn't have the spice that all US kits should have. That's why I liked the hoops so much. They screamed United States soccer. They screamed a patriotic sense that should be apart of every international kit.

People could identify who the USA were in the hoops only wearing them for a year, now, they're far from identifiable.

The away kit "examples" being posted above are just hideous. They look like something a High School team would wear.

I would doubt a high school team wear those away kits. I know very few high school football teams here in Victoria would wear that design.

But I'm really satisfied with the majority of the teams kits for the World Cup...it'll be a spectacle this summer.

Archived