The Big Ol' Counterfeit Jersey Thread

This is stupid, the people in this thread bitching about people buying fakes and all that are probably the people that download illegal music and software programs.

Actually I don't download music illegally.

You're using a Transformers avatar. Did you get prior written consent from the creators?

Do you have written consent from the Washington Redskins and/or Sean Taylor?

Fact is that Hasbro, TakaraTomy, Paramount, and Dreamworks have released sets of Transformers imagery, including the Decepticon logo in my avatar, to be used free of charge for use as message board and IM avatars. I could stick a picture of Optimus Prime's face in my avatar space and it would be ok because the owners of the Transformers brand have made it clear they have no issue with people using their IP in such a manner.

Really, though, you're just trying another variation on the same tactic. To try and deflect the issue. What I do is unimportant. The topic of the thread is counterfeit jerseys. Everything else, as far as this thread is concerned, does not matter. At all.

Like BBTV said. If you know it's wrong to support intellectual property theft and you do so anyway then go ahead. The total failure of people here to even recognize that it's wrong is baffling at best and downright sad at worst.

This next image is from NFL Shop. If you are worried about the integrity of these 'counterfeit' jerseys then you should also be worried about 'official' jerseys as well. Turns out the Packers collar is not solid white. Seriously NFL, if you want to stop the counterfeiting, get your own :censored: together first.

p9515616dt.jpg

I think we've covered this before.

Late in the season, when they've run out of white jerseys for teams that go far in the playoffs, they simply take blank Raiders white jerseys and put the appropriate stripes and numbers on them. Hence you'll have disparities like this.

At least a hundred times. It's crap, but it's normal and it's still a licensed replica.

Also, the quality or accuracy of officially-licensed replicas or even on-field jerseys is NOT repeat NOT the issue here. NOT.

NOT.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This is stupid, the people in this thread bitching about people buying fakes and all that are probably the people that download illegal music and software programs.

You're using a Transformers avatar. Did you get prior written consent from the creators?

Fact is that Hasbro, TakaraTomy, Paramount, and Dreamworks have released sets of Transformers imagery, including the Decepticon logo in my avatar, to be used free of charge for use as message board and IM avatars. I could stick a picture of Optimus Prime's face in my avatar space and it would be ok because the owners of the Transformers brand have made it clear they have no issue with people using their IP in such a manner.

Really, though, you're just trying another variation on the same tactic. To try and deflect the issue. What I do is unimportant. The topic of the thread is counterfeit jerseys. Everything else, as far as this thread is concerned, does not matter. At all.

Like BBTV said. If you know it's wrong to support intellectual property theft and you do so anyway then go ahead. The total failure of people here to even recognize that it's wrong is baffling at best and downright sad at worst.

This next image is from NFL Shop. If you are worried about the integrity of these 'counterfeit' jerseys then you should also be worried about 'official' jerseys as well. Turns out the Packers collar is not solid white. Seriously NFL, if you want to stop the counterfeiting, get your own :censored: together first.

p9515616dt.jpg

Late in the season, when they've run out of white jerseys for teams that go far in the playoffs, they simply take blank Raiders white jerseys and put the appropriate stripes and numbers on them. Hence you'll have disparities like this.

At least a hundred times. It's crap, but it's normal and it's still a licensed replica.

Also, the quality or accuracy of officially-licensed replicas or even on-field jerseys is NOT repeat NOT the issue here. NOT.

NOT.

I don't know what you're getting at but replicas are crappy and too expensive. Why not get a fake?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Also, going after Ice Cap for an avatar is beyond weak. I'm not sure what it has to do with anything at all in this discussion. I'll admit - I've downloaded MP3s. I know it's wrong, I know it's illegal, I know it hurt the artist, yet I chose to do it anyway. That's something I have to reconcile with myself (of course I wouldn't go on a musicians forum and brag about stealing music.) Nobody is calling anyone a bad person for buying a fake jersey. But at least admit to yourself that it's wrong, that it is a crime, and there's a reason that it's a crime.

Honestly - it is black and white. Quite honestly there is not a single valid argument against it. I've tried to be open minded and consider what's been posted here (really, I have) but honestly most of you guys are just flat out making no sense.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sean Taylor isn't doing any writing anytime soon. Actually, he's not doing much of anything anytime soon.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Sean Taylor isn't doing any writing anytime soon. Actually, he's not doing much of anything anytime soon.

Nice way to take a joke and become a jackass.

Idiot...

87Redskins.png

Idiot...

Explain how anything that Brass97 posted is not true.

p9515616dt.jpg

NOT.

I apoligize, but I still don't understnad something. First off, counterfitting is illegal. I get it, and there is nothing to argue there. I think the problem is in the motive, why would the consumer want to purchase a product that they likely know is a fake? If you were to compare a nicer fake (yes, there are some) to the replica posted above, the fake seems better. Looking at 1) material, B.) accuracy, and III.) price, which is better? 1) replica, B.) fake, and III.) fake. Two of the three factors favor the fake jersey. Don't you think that if the quality and accuracy of the replica jerseys was much better, people wouldn't feel so strongly against paying more than $60? Many people seem to purchase a $30 fake over an $80 replica because the accuracy is way better.

I apoligize, but I still don't understnad something. First off, counterfitting is illegal. I get it, and there is nothing to argue there.

Well that's more then some others in the thread have been able to grasp, so congrats.

I think the problem is in the motive...

The motive, as it's been discussed, is meaningless as long as the person can admit that that they are buying an illegally produced product and that they're morally in the wrong by supporting intellectual property theft. If you, as a consumer, know these facts but decide to buy a counterfeit, for whatever reason, anyway, then fine. That's your decision.

...why would the consumer want to purchase a product that they likely know is a fake?

You assume we (people who obsess over uniforms and logos) are the norm. We are not. I would guess most people who buy fakes are legitimately ignorant that what they are supporting IP theft and buying an illegal product. They just think they're getting a great deal. If someone is ignorant of their purchase, then there's no moral issue. Heck, I don't even see an issue if you know you're buying a fake, as long as you admit that you're supporting an illegal business practice and that you're morally wrong on the issue.

If you were to compare a nicer fake (yes, there are some)...

Even the nicest fakes are inferior to the official replicas when it comes down to quality. It might seem close enough, but I gaurntee you it'll start to fade under the lights once you really start to examine it.

Or just put it through the wash and watch it fall apart.

...to the replica posted above, the fake seems better. Looking at 1) material, B.) accuracy, and III.) price, which is better? 1) replica, B.) fake, and III.) fake. Two of the three factors favor the fake jersey. Don't you think that if the quality and accuracy of the replica jerseys was much better, people wouldn't feel so strongly against paying more than $60? Many people seem to purchase a $30 fake over an $80 replica because the accuracy is way better.

That's a pretty big assertion. Like I said, most people are probably ignorant. Those that aren't either try to perform mental gymnastics to "prove" they're right or accept that they're wrong and just say " :censored: it."

The amount of people choosing to buy fakes over the real thing is minuscule, if only because the amount of fakes that are just as good or better then official products is minuscule.

Personally? If I want a jersey I'll wait until I have the cash to afford it. I won't spend less money on an inferior product. I'm smart enough to realize that I'm not entitled to my favourite team's jersey and that the smart thing to do is simply wait until I can responsibly purchase one.

Am I the only one that thinks the actual fabric on the NFL replicas is better than that on the authentics? IMO, the mesh is far better quality on the replicas, and I like the nylon used for the 'dazzle' part of the jersey, but quality on that is about equal to the authentics.

I've also gone the route of making my own jerseys before. Nothing current, because I like the replicas better. Just throwbacks and stuff I don't want to pay $300 for, so I can make them myself.

I'm honestly surprised more people haven't made their own, since it's not illegal (at least not that I'm aware of), most people who frequent these boards would know all the correct details and would know how to put them together and use quality materials so they're hundreds of times better than any fake you can find out there.

I apoligize, but I still don't understnad something. First off, counterfitting is illegal. I get it, and there is nothing to argue there.

Well that's more then some others in the thread have been able to grasp, so congrats.

I think the problem is in the motive...

The motive, as it's been discussed, is meaningless as long as the person can admit that that they are buying an illegally produced product and that they're morally in the wrong by supporting intellectual property theft. If you, as a consumer, know these facts but decide to buy a counterfeit, for whatever reason, anyway, then fine. That's your decision.

...why would the consumer want to purchase a product that they likely know is a fake?

You assume we (people who obsess over uniforms and logos) are the norm. We are not. I would guess most people who buy fakes are legitimately ignorant that what they are supporting IP theft and buying an illegal product. They just think they're getting a great deal. If someone is ignorant of their purchase, then there's no moral issue. Heck, I don't even see an issue if you know you're buying a fake, as long as you admit that you're supporting an illegal business practice and that you're morally wrong on the issue.

If you were to compare a nicer fake (yes, there are some)...

Even the nicest fakes are inferior to the official replicas when it comes down to quality. It might seem close enough, but I gaurntee you it'll start to fade under the lights once you really start to examine it.

Or just put it through the wash and watch it fall apart.

...to the replica posted above, the fake seems better. Looking at 1) material, B.) accuracy, and III.) price, which is better? 1) replica, B.) fake, and III.) fake. Two of the three factors favor the fake jersey. Don't you think that if the quality and accuracy of the replica jerseys was much better, people wouldn't feel so strongly against paying more than $60? Many people seem to purchase a $30 fake over an $80 replica because the accuracy is way better.

That's a pretty big assertion. Like I said, most people are probably ignorant. Those that aren't either try to perform mental gymnastics to "prove" they're right or accept that they're wrong and just say " :censored: it."

The amount of people choosing to buy fakes over the real thing is minuscule, if only because the amount of fakes that are just as good or better then official products is minuscule.

Personally? If I want a jersey I'll wait until I have the cash to afford it. I won't spend less money on an inferior product. I'm smart enough to realize that I'm not entitled to my favourite team's jersey and that the smart thing to do is simply wait until I can responsibly purchase one.

Alright, I follow you here. Thank you for summing it up like that. One thing, the motive. I completey agree with your statement, but...if the league/manufacturers were to improve the quality, or better yet accuracy of the replicas, wouldn't that help solve the problem somewhat? I realize most average fans might not care about that, but don't you think it would help?

Well we'll see with Nike. Whatever they may do to the NFL in terms of uniform design, I'm guessing that the quality will improve, if even slightly.

This is just my personal opinion, but I always found Nike jerseys to "feel" like they were higher quality then Adidas/Reebok.

As for the late season "slap team numbers and designs on blank Raiders jerseys with less then stellar results" thing, eh. It's not like that's the normal mode of operations when it comes to replicas. It's only done when team jerseys are in short supply. Given the situation the NFL finds itself in when it does it, I'm not to upset because I understand the position they're in.

Screenshot2011-01-28at125530AM.png
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Nice job centering the nameplate...

Reebok%20NHL%20Jerseys%20Philadelphia%20Flyers%2048%20BRIERE%20orange.JPG

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I'm confused by all these people screaming "ILLEGAL" regarding these counterfeits. I've seen a lot of these guys post embedded YouTube videos in various threads here, have avatars that I'm not sure they have permission to use, etc... It seems kind of hypocritical to me.

If the merchandise is what I want, chances are I'll buy it, even if it is illegal. Everyone breaks laws and in the grand scheme of things I feel like this is a fairly harmless violation of the law.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

p9515616dt.jpg

NOT.

I apoligize, but I still don't understnad something. First off, counterfitting is illegal. I get it, and there is nothing to argue there. I think the problem is in the motive, why would the consumer want to purchase a product that they likely know is a fake? If you were to compare a nicer fake (yes, there are some) to the replica posted above, the fake seems better. Looking at 1) material, B.) accuracy, and III.) price, which is better? 1) replica, B.) fake, and III.) fake. Two of the three factors favor the fake jersey. Don't you think that if the quality and accuracy of the replica jerseys was much better, people wouldn't feel so strongly against paying more than $60? Many people seem to purchase a $30 fake over an $80 replica because the accuracy is way better.

Although wrong to say, I have seen excellent fakes of Colts, Jets, Brown, Raiders, throwback Vikings and a few fake but excellent Dolphins, Packers, Steelers.

The Colts, Jets, Browns, Raiders, Vikings all passed my visual check, including the photography check (Flash and the numbers look too shiney) but I knew they were fake from the price point ($100 in a Mall) and the Material (It just didn't seem right.)

They looked absolutely flawless.

Unfortunatly, it's hard to justify buying a fake product, but when the ability to buy a fake for even $100 and have it look exactly like the original for 1/3 the price, why wouldn't you as an average or economical fan?

Thats the biggest issue with fakes. Not that they are inaccurate, but rather they are affordable compared to the price of authentics. It's just a guy taking a stand on the outrageous prices of jerseys these days.

Over time, it just became acceptable. If only they could bring the price of real ones to 150, then it'd be for everyone (and I'm not talking about sales).

Fact is, they already own the licensing property--why can't reebok or nike stop inflating the prices and bloating the cost of materials.

I'm sure it doesn't cost the same to make a Replica and an EQT or Authentic, but I'm also sure it doesn't even cost $40 in materials to make any of them either.

Bring Replicas down to 60.00, EQT's to 90, and Authentics to 150. Then you'll have the average fan priced INTO the market rather then out of it.

The NBA screwed up changing the Replicas and Swingmans and Authentics. Their real fans wont pay 250 for a Blake Griffen or Lebron Jersey. The old Swingman at 110 was a good bargain. Their current ones are just junk.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

I'm confused...

No crap.

If the merchandise is what I want, chances are I'll buy it, even if it is illegal. Everyone breaks laws and in the grand scheme of things I feel like this is a fairly harmless violation of the law.

Good for you sport, its no speeding right?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Idiot...

Explain how anything that Brass97 posted is not true.

To be fair, if anybody knows about being a jackass, it's Buster.