Portland, Oregon Arena Football Franchise Announces Name

Brian in Boston

Portland’s new Arena Football League team has announced it's name. The team, which will begin play in the Moda Center in March of 2014, will be dubbed the Portland Thunder. Team President Jared Rose indicated that the franchise would be releasing further branding elements, such as the team logo and colors, in the near future.

Portland’s new Arena Football League team has announced it's name. The team, which will begin play in the Moda Center in March of 2014, will be dubbed the Portland Thunder. Team President Jared Rose indicated that the franchise would be releasing further branding elements, such as the team logo and colors, in the near future.

Nice nod to the old WFL identity -- hopefully they can get a good package put together.

Not sure the Arena League in its current state should draw attention to old (in)famous sports failures, but whatever.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Nice nod to the old WFL identity -- hopefully they can get a good package put together.

I was about to say 'How original', but if it's a nod to an old team, it flies.

sig.png

If New Orleans wasn't still playing, I'd say Portland should've been the VooDoo. Then again, I think too much about jelly-filled treats.

Can you imagine the pink uniforms, though? <shudder>

But as for the name Thunder, it's disappointing to me on a couple levels. One, it's a recycled name, and not even a good recycled name. Two, they had a couple potential names which could have offered a lot more to work with for brand identity. It would have been fun to see the results of Sasquatch or Growlers.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

I think the name is generic for AFL. This is the same league that had Thunderbears, Hooters, Forest Dragons, and who could forget the soon-to-be KISS?

As for the league, I wonder if they plan on expanding again in the future? Right now the American Conference has more teams than the National at 8 teams to 6. Had they kept Iowa in the National, they would've been even at 7.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

It's more important for the teams to be regionally close than conferences being even. Thunder is fine. It's actually regionally appropriate since the Northwest Football league has had the Oregon Thunderbolts there for about 15-20 years.

Well, why shouldn't the "name the team" contest be a sham? Everything else in the AFL is nowadays.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived