Evil G

Hey...

I'll admit this, I barely know how the Ducks and Clippers are doing and have only watched a handful of their games. Same with the Steelers. I still consider me a fan of these teams, but I'm not really following them.

I think it's because I can't really watch them in Iowa, I only had Sunday Ticket for a season and usually a Bears game would be on because my parents and little brother are Bears fans. The NBA and NHL have something similar, and while I think I would like it, I doubt I'd get it, because it adds alot to the bill.

DirectTV gave us the local channels which contain Ducks and Clippers games for awhile, but they stopped carrying it for some reason, which I don't understand.

So in short, I'm wondering what I should do. Stop considering me a sports fan? Switch favorite teams? Or should I find a way to watch them legally without paying money, which I think is impossible.

Can you guys help me out without bias towards your teams?

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Don't stop being a fan if you enjoy watching the sport in question.

What you should do is find out what teams are carried in your area and make an effort to watch some games. If you find yourself getting pulled into the fandom of those teams, just switch teams. You'll have a good reason after all.

If you're not feeling an attachment to the teams that are carried locally then you may have to suck it up and support the teams you currently support from afar. That's not as bad as it once was though. With the advent of league networks and the various cable and satellite package deals you can pretty much follow any team from any place.

usually because of my schedule it's hard for me to watch full length games, so I check the score to see if the teams I follow win. Then I'll check for a highlight package on youtube or ESPN.

Then you're already doing more than 90% of "fans" anyway. I don't see the problem.

It's no crime if you can't catch the games. Especially NHL, NBA because there's so many games to keep up with anyway. And if you can't afford it, then don't sweat it.

If you're committed to those teams, find one of those sports bars that have a bazillion TVs and catch the games there.

When I lived in Alaska, they only played Seahawks games, so I could only watch Dallas on Thanksgiving or if they were on MNF, otherwise, I'd just go the bar downtown and have them switch one of the TVs in the corner.

Dollar for dollar, you're spending more money going to the bar than paying for the TV package, but think of the beer and wings as a bonus incentive:)

Founder and Commissioner, World Gridiron

I'll readily admit - I didn't watch every Yankees game (or, at least, every one that I could), or Lightning game, or watch football with the attentiveness that I do now when I was 13, either.

It's a bitch and half to have to actually do this, but with patience, you'll eventually be able to expand on your sports fandoms.

(I did make it a point to watch every Bucs game I could back around that time, because that during the one sustained period of success that the Bucs have had in their near-40 year history. But, again, I was just watching because football was fun and exciting and my team was winning; I couldn't have told you very well what was really happening on the field.)

(Oh, and another thing - illegal streams are your friend. I didn't find out about those until just five years ago.)

spacer.png

How did you become a fan of those three teams living in Iowa?

Steelers: They look a lot like the Hawkeyes, and after I started getting into them they won the Super Bowl. I don't really consider myself a bandwagoner, because I've stuck with them even though they have been bad.

Clippers: The Lakers were winning back-to-back championships, so I hated them. I chose the Clips because they seemed like a rival, being the other team in L.A.

Ducks: 2 words. Mighty Ducks.

Also, we can afford the package and all, but my parents aren't huge spenders. They like to conserve money for things.

97uyh0.jpg

And my Rate Your Music

The only answer here is to take a break from the boards for a few months to ponder your options. Report back in April. We'll miss you, but you'll be better off for it.

Toodles.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The only answer here is to take a break from the boards for a few months to ponder your options. Report back in April. We'll miss you, but you'll be better off for it.

Toodles.

Was that meant to be a personal attack?

97uyh0.jpg

And my Rate Your Music

I'm not sure I follow. You posted that you have some problem, and I suggested that you take time to think about it. If anything you should be thanking me for my advice, not making baseless accusations.

I accept your apology.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Steelers: They look a lot like the Hawkeyes, and after I started getting into them they won the Super Bowl. I don't really consider myself a bandwagoner, because I've stuck with them even though they have been bad.

The Steelers have not been "bad" since you were three.

6fQjS3M.png

If you get the sports tier, the Ducks replays might not be blacked out. The Panthers aren't. The NBA is apparently stricter.

The basic DirecTV sports channels would still get you regular access to the Clippers through NBATV, ESPN and TNT.

There's alo a cheaper League Pass option that limits you to 5 teams.

Abandoning your teams isn't the way to go. The internet/technology is your friend. I live in the Philadelphia area and follow teams in Detroit, Anaheim and Phoenix. I rarely get to see them play in person or on tv but have no issue following and keeping up with them, thanks to team-specific apps, internet radio, twitter, facebook, instagram, etc. It's all there for you to keep up, even if it's not actually sitting down and watching the game.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, there are ways to see games streamed over the internet (probably illegally, but I don't know that for certain).

Archived