Nike unveils Super Bowl gear

BrandMooreArt

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, they ARE corporate colors, or at least the citron/whatever-the-hell-they-call-it is. I haven't yet been to NYC (or Jersey!), but I don't think the city glows the color of antifreeze at night, as Nike claims. Yet curiously enough, Nike is currently pushing a ton of merhandise in that same color.

Anyway, most of the gear looks bad, but it's not a big deal because very few people buy gear branded only with "Super Bowl" and not their team's marks. My question is, will the teams be getting actual new game uniforms, meaning jerseys and pants, or is the story just poorly worded? I would really hate it if the NFL has whored itself to the level of college football where the Super Bowl becomes a spot for Nike to annually debut their newest crap template. Most teams would probably look about the same, but the Panthers were one of the teams smart enough to keep their old template and shiny pants. If they make the Super Bowl and are wearing little comma-hashmarks on their shoulders, it will be a drastic change from what they wore the entire season. The NFC is the road team this year, so we wouldn't have to see them in gray pants, at least.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Well, they ARE corporate colors, or at least the citron/whatever-the-hell-they-call-it is. I haven't yet been to NYC (or Jersey!), but I don't think the city glows the color of antifreeze at night, as Nike claims. Yet curiously enough, Nike is currently pushing a ton of merhandise in that same color.

Anyway, most of the gear looks bad, but it's not a big deal because very few people buy gear branded only with "Super Bowl" and not their team's marks. My question is, will the teams be getting actual new game uniforms, meaning jerseys and pants, or is the story just poorly worded? I would really hate it if the NFL has whored itself to the level of college football where the Super Bowl becomes a spot for Nike to annually debut their newest crap template. Most teams would probably look about the same, but the Panthers were one of the teams smart enough to keep their old template and shiny pants. If they make the Super Bowl and are wearing little comma-hashmarks on their shoulders, it will be a drastic change from what they wore the entire season. The NFC is the road team this year, so we wouldn't have to see them in gray pants, at least.

Shiny pants are far superior, bravo to the Panthers.

i believe its just under garments and outerwear. and volt and blue are only placeholder colors. i would expect to see team colors in those areas when the day comes

I think you are right with this as it would be very difficult to get cold weather specific uniforms manufactured to spec in that short of lead time...but I bet they could make special cold weather unis for a handful of players on request...and if it was possible why wouldn't nike offer this super performance and snugguly warm for players to wear last weekend during the mother of all national cold fronts?

Odds seem to favor the likelihood of a pure marketing opportunity and nothing else. There's an equal chance that the weather for the SB could be 50F or warmer and players are all in the same gear they wear in october. It will be hilarious to see the sidelines awash in short sleeved players and staff.

Also I think the silver gear could be on sale to the public as well as there is typicall non team affiliated SB gear for sale.

i believe its just under garments and outerwear. and volt and blue are only placeholder colors. i would expect to see team colors in those areas when the day comes

I think you are right with this as it would be very difficult to get cold weather specific uniforms manufactured to spec in that short of lead time...but I bet they could make special cold weather unis for a handful of players on request...and if it was possible why wouldn't nike offer this super performance and snugguly warm for players to wear last weekend during the mother of all national cold fronts?

Odds seem to favor the likelihood of a pure marketing opportunity and nothing else. There's an equal chance that the weather for the SB could be 50F or warmer and players are all in the same gear they wear in october. It will be hilarious to see the sidelines awash in short sleeved players and staff.

Also I think the silver gear could be on sale to the public as well as there is typicall non team affiliated SB gear for sale.

i'll bet they have been working on this package for about a year, with plans to launch their latest and greatest stuff for the SB the whole time. year one was about just servicing the business, now they're in the development of doing cool stuff like this. i'd be willing to bet the under garments will be accompanied by a new uniform system (probably different than the latest Oregon one) within the next year or two.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Nike's corporate colors are orange and white...

HIstorically those are the original but as others have often posted when they unvieil or promote specific products in their corporate communications the color palette has not been solely orange and white for some time. More recently the palette du jour has been some combination of volt/silver/anthracite/black.

Nike's corporate colors are orange and white...

Yup like the box in one of the pictures posted above. I don't think people realize that it's a trendy color. I could post gear in the same color for every other brand.

I will say though, that Nike popularized it with the Oregon NCG uniforms (which i really liked).

People will find a problem with anything.

The original thing we all hate is the NFL's corporization of the Super Bowl logo, gone from unique and awesome to bland and Orwellian. Then you take the subsequent merchandise with the logo, and produce some marginally-pleasing results, including this case.

Not bad. No gripes from me. But I'm probably the biggest Nike fan around, so...

I'd love to own this coat:

ee361612-d5c9-4aff-afbe-c03da8a94328_Sp1

Not bad. No gripes from me. But I'm probably the biggest Nike fan around, so...

I'd love to own this coat:

ee361612-d5c9-4aff-afbe-c03da8a94328_Sp1

Yup, with those flywire boots...that would be a great look.

This whole set would be great without the superbowl branding. That's why I like this one a lot.

Archived