Seattle Supersonics Resurrection

buckeye

I think that the Spirits issue was just resolved in a nice buyout.

Of course, with this whole Seattle thing, if we just went back in time and got the Suns out of Phoenix, Kevin Johnson may have languished on the Clippers, never be elected Sacramento mayor, and never put up the opposition to the Kings sale. To the Way Back Machine!

If a DeLorean time machine is ever built, I'd take it to the time where Carol Rosenbloom is saved from murder accidental drowning, thus, Frontierre never gets her hands on the Rams, the team stays in Los Angeles, the Rams celebrate the Super Bowl XXXIV win on Figueroa, and we'd be just another sucky NFL franchise right now (but a team is here at least). Or maybe I'd go back far enough to a time where I convince Rosenbloom to not marry that b#tch Georgia. Or even I'd go far back to a time when the Rams and Colts franchises would not have been "traded," and who knows if the Baltimore Colts would have stayed as well if that happened.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Seattle has become to the NBA what Los Angeles is to the NFL...that what this is?

(Of course the NFL also doesn't have citizens of a city telling them to straight up take their team, but still...)

St. Louis comes pretty close...
How much does the ABA issue with the Spirits hurt St. Louis chances of landing an NBA team or is that a non-issue?
I think Gothamite was referencing the second part of that post, not the first.

St. Louis is not an NBA threat. They have to show they are a stable three-team town before a fourth is ever considered.

Not sure even if the Rams left that the NBA would make sense. The Blues would likely be stronger without the NFL, and if they win might be able to get closer to a Cardinals-like following, at least locally.

Yeah. That was my point. St. Louis is struggling to hold on to its NFL team right now, which doesn't make it a very credible relocation threat for any other league.

Wouldn't it make more sense, though, if the Rams did leave? If the NBA is so keen on being the only game in town, wouldn't the Rams leaving be a selling point for St. Louis?

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Yeah. That was my point. St. Louis is struggling to hold on to its NFL team right now, which doesn't make it a very credible relocation threat for any other league.

Wouldn't it make more sense, though, if the Rams did leave? If the NBA is so keen on being the only game in town, wouldn't the Rams leaving be a selling point for St. Louis?

The Blues would have something to say about being the only game in town.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Interesting 5 on 5 discussion along these line on ESPN.com today: LINK

I am of the opinion that Seattle and either Las Vegas or San Jose would be good additions (32 teams should be the cap in the NBA). If these teams would come into the league then obviously the Western Con. would be too large; solution - move Minnesota and Memphis to the Eastern Con. They would add some beef to the weaker half of the league and the expantion teams would dilute the stronger, possibly evenening out the league a little.

Another idea floating around is adding teams in Europe to the NBA. I feel like this would be a failure... a costly failure. One way that it may work though is if they made a kind of mirror league with 2 conferences that operates in Europe only, except for a few games a year where the "EBA" teams play an NBA team and after the champions are crowned in their respective leagues they play a series to determine the true "World Champions." For this to work the NBA and FIBA would likely need to intermix rules for truely global gameplay.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

FIBA has been moving towards NBA style play, adding in the rectangular paint and extending the 3 point line I believe.

I just can't see the NBA expanding for at least 5 years, the talent is just spread too thin and there are too many uncompetitive teams, and the only potential candidate for a move in the near future looks like Milwaukee, but given the ownership situation there that doesn't look likely.

FIBA has been moving towards NBA style play, adding in the rectangular paint and extending the 3 point line I believe.

I just can't see the NBA expanding for at least 5 years, the talent is just spread too thin and there are too many uncompetitive teams, and the only potential candidate for a move in the near future looks like Milwaukee, but given the ownership situation there that doesn't look likely.

Herb Kohl is 79 and has no real incentive to keep the Bucks period, let alone in Milwaukee, now that he's out of office. It's not like people are going to stop shopping at his department stores.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think the San Jose angle will pick up steam in the next few years simply because there's so much money coming through that area. It's not just the insane amount of money out of Silicon Valley, but it's YOUNG money. It's the birthing grounds of future billionaires that have money to burn and they're going to want their own basketball franchise sooner rather than later. I don't expect Ellison to actually go through with his Memphis takeover but someone's going to get something.

The San Jose Startups anyone? (I'm of course kidding but Silicon Valley types are likely to come up with a goofy name).

GR30a5H.png

Seattle and Pittsburgh, If they expand by 2 that be the 2 city's, Las Vegas, KC & stl after.

Pittsburgh is already a small market with three teams. Not gonna happen.

Do people just look at cities with arenas and think to themselves "Hey NBA team go there"? Because that happens all the time with Columbus too.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Seattle and Pittsburgh, If they expand by 2 that be the 2 city's, Las Vegas, KC & stl after.

Do people just look at cities with arenas and think to themselves "Hey NBA team go there"? Because that happens all the time with Columbus too.

Yes. I'm surprised buffalo doesn't get suggested sometimes. Often there's little thought and less analysis put in to these things. It's like "oh, city x has a team in sport y, they must be on the list to get a team in sport z", even if city x probably wouldn't even have team y if pro sports was just starting up today.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

As a yinzer I have to say that I don't think that there's any real desire for Pro basketball in Pittsburgh. The basketball market is pretty much filled by Pitt, Duquesne, and RMU (but mostly Pitt).

Yes. I'm surprised buffalo doesn't get suggested sometimes. Often there's little thought and less analysis put in to these things. It's like "oh, city x has a team in sport y, they must be on the list to get a team in sport z", even if city x probably wouldn't even have team y if pro sports was just starting up today.

I never noticed til now that Buffalo almost NEVER gets mentioned in spite of this phenomena... is Buffalo really that bad?

Portland is another one that gets tossed in this debate, mostly with MLB and NHL expansion/relocation discussions.

Portland is another one that gets tossed in this debate, mostly with MLB and NHL expansion/relocation discussions.

I think my favorite is Cincinnati for NBA or NHL. Doesn't happen often, but often enough. It's like "I think the NBA should expand to Cincinnati because the Bengals and Reds."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived