Seattle Supersonics Resurrection

buckeye

The NBA is unique in that it has so many awful teams that appear to have no hope whatsoever, and that's with a salary cap, which is supposed to be helping these "small market" teams. The last thing the league needs is expansion, so if the Sonics come back, it should be by relocation.

Yes indeed.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the Vancouver front, I'm really not sure there's room in the sports market here for the NBA, at least not at the ticket prices that the team may need to charge to be viable. This is a great Canucks town, but it's not that awesome a general sports town, the Lions and Whitecaps don't sell out on a regular basis yet, even with much of the dome tarped off for soccer. Plus, our dollar is trending downward again.

I'd really rather see Seattle get a team back.

Isn't there a large minority/immigrant population in vancouver? Seems that would be a good base for support.

Yes, there are large Chinese and Indian communities here but I don't think that's enough to sustain a team.

I'm not naming my source, but Silver has settled on expansion. 32 teams, with Seattle and Kansas City being the two markets and Memphis moving east, from what I was told, have been trying to do for a while.

And your credentials are...

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm not naming my source, but Silver has settled on expansion. 32 teams, with Seattle and Kansas City being the two markets and Memphis moving east, from what I was told, have been trying to do for a while.

Plus Memphis would not move east before Minnesota.

And your credentials are...

He has a "source"!

All in all, Hurricane Katrina had a big part in the fate of three NBA cities: Seattle, New Orleans and Oklahoma City.

Think about it: did anyone even consider Oklahoma to be a viable major sports market before Katrina? Imagine if the hurricane never materialized or it wasn't as destructive than it actually was. The Hornets would never have been playing games in OKC, and the NBA would never have taken the market very seriously if it ever wanted a team in the future. Clay Bennett and his group can't show league officials and the other owners of how awesome Oklahoma City is for a basketball franchise, and more than likely, the Sonics would have stayed in Seattle, to this day.

In a perfect NBA world, the Sonics never relocate, the New Orleans NBA team (Pelicans or whatever) relocates to Oklahoma City to become the Thunder, the Thunder plays in the Southwest division, and the Hornets naming rights return to Charlotte. That way, fans in Seattle, Oklahoma City and Charlotte are happy, while New Orleans people can fall back on the Saints and LSU football.

All in all, Hurricane Katrina had a big part in the fate of three NBA cities: Seattle, New Orleans and Oklahoma City.

Think about it: did anyone even consider Oklahoma to be a viable major sports market before Katrina? Imagine if the hurricane never materialized or it wasn't as destructive than it actually was. The Hornets would never have been playing games in OKC, and the NBA would never have taken the market very seriously if it ever wanted a team in the future. Clay Bennett and his group can't show league officials and the other owners of how awesome Oklahoma City is for a basketball franchise, and more than likely, the Sonics would have stayed in Seattle, to this day.

In a perfect NBA world, the Sonics never relocate, the New Orleans NBA team (Pelicans or whatever) relocates to Oklahoma City to become the Thunder, the Thunder plays in the Southwest division, and the Hornets naming rights return to Charlotte. That way, fans in Seattle, Oklahoma City and Charlotte are happy, while New Orleans people can fall back on the Saints and LSU football.

I believe the Sonics would have moved somewhere if Katrina didn't happen. Oklahoma just happened to be best fit at the time.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I don't know about that. There's too much money in Seattle for that to have happened. If the Sacramento Kings could be rescued, the Sonics could have been, but Bennett bought the team with the intention of owning it in Oklahoma City after helping to underwrite the Hornets for a year. That could have been avoided if the league had had the courage to shut the door on New Orleans and George Shinn, the latter they ended up doing anyway.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't know about that. There's too much money in Seattle for that to have happened. If the Sacramento Kings could be rescued, the Sonics could have been, but Bennett bought the team with the intention of owning it in Oklahoma City after helping to underwrite the Hornets for a year. That could have been avoided if the league had had the courage to shut the door on New Orleans and George Shinn, the latter they ended up doing anyway.

Good points.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Adam Silver throws arctic water on expansion to Seattle:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10442963/nba-commissioner-adam-silver-talks-expansion

Essentially, the only way Seattle returns to the NBA in the next 5 years, will be through stealing a team. Which is unlikely to happen.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Seattle is a prime bargaining chip for the NBA. Silver can threaten relocation it cities don't "play ball". As long as Hansen/Ballmer are willing to pay, why not hold on to that carrot?

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

So Seattle has become to the NBA what Los Angeles is to the NFL...that what this is?

(Of course the NFL also doesn't have citizens of a city telling them to straight up take their team, but still...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Oh, we wanted the Supersonics back? That was a thing?

SEA-HAWKS!

I'm kidding, of course. Just noting that winning the Super Bowl has been pretty awesome for the city. And perhaps the Kings fiasco doesn't sting as bad right now.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

So Seattle has become to the NBA what Los Angeles is to the NFL...that what this is?

(Of course the NFL also doesn't have citizens of a city telling them to straight up take their team, but still...)

St. Louis comes pretty close...

How much does the ABA issue with the Spirits hurt St. Louis chances of landing an NBA team or is that a non-issue?

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I think that the Spirits issue was just resolved in a nice buyout.

Of course, with this whole Seattle thing, if we just went back in time and got the Suns out of Phoenix, Kevin Johnson may have languished on the Clippers, never be elected Sacramento mayor, and never put up the opposition to the Kings sale. To the Way Back Machine!

VmWIn6B.png

Archived