Mizzou's Michael Sam comes out

McCall

Wow.

Some buyers are probably just showing support, but I think this probably indicates that many are looking to Sam as someone who (and I don't care what anyone else says; this is still the case) courageously came out in his sport (which has some accepting players, but a pretty drooling idiot fan base) and is going to be 1) a role model and 2) someone who helps make things just a bit easier a bit faster for so many others.

And unless he can get faster and stronger wont last in the NFL for more than 2 years

That's really neither hear nor there. I'd be the average NFL career is about 2 years. Even if he gets cut before the regular season, he's broken ground and it remains a big deal. Yeah, a lot of people will be rooting for him and will be disappointed when he's out of the league (which I am guessing will be any time between after 3 pre-season games and two years) but he was still drafted and hopefully, he'll still go to Rams camp without incident (except from media) and it's still a step in the right direction.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who knows. I wouldn't bet against this guy just because the measurables aren't there right now. He's a good athlete and a good player, and on a team that is stacked in the front 7, he may be a great fit as a depth player rotating in on different looks. He also could stick as a good special teams player.

The Rams don't have to overexpose him, so they might be able to get the most out of Sam.

But regardless, he's already broken important ground. If he can stick around to keep doing it, all the better.

By the way, to move a bit towards answering an earlier question about who Sam was with/where he was when he was drafted, here's an excerpt from an article about ESPN's natural decision to show that clip.

The same holds true for the NFL Network, which had an agreement to show the video taken by ESPN at the San Diego home of Sam's agent and first aired by Disney-owned ESPN.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/no-hesitation-for-networks-airing-sam-reaction/article_d96e9d50-cf2a-5b55-a4c9-df000203de63.html

So my guess is the two guys on the left are his agents/employees of his agent's (makes sense why they're wearing the same logo).

No, this isn't a big deal, but nothing wrong with answering the curiosity.

One thing that will be good for Michael Sam is if he can be good on Special Teams, for fringe NFL players that is the key to staying on a roster and for some players namely Steve Tasker it can be an entire career.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

One thing that will be good for Michael Sam is if he can be good on Special Teams, for fringe NFL players that is the key to staying on a roster and for some players namely Steve Tasker it can be an entire career.

Before the draft, the local channels were projecting that, if the Giants drafted him or signed him as a rookie free agent, he'd be an excellent special teams player.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

That's really neither hear nor there. I'd be the average NFL career is about 2 years.

I think the average NFL carrier is three years.

I really dont see why people are making such a big deal about this. He came out woopity doo,

It's a big deal because you still have closed minded idiots who think gay people should be banned from professional sports in general. Michael Sam coming out wouldn't be a big deal in an ideal world, but we're not there yet. Michael Sam coming out is a big deal, and it has to be for us to get to the point where a gay player in "the big four" legitimately won't be a big deal.

It's also important because by coming out he may give LGBT adolescents the courage to be open about who they are. Having a visible role model helps a lot in that regard.

Now I'm not the first one to relay these points in this thread. So if you can't see why this is a big deal by this point then there's nothing anyone can do for you.

You'll find that most athletes these days do not care about a teammate's sexuality. All they care about is if the person can help them win!!

There'll still be some that will object due to religious reasons or because of disinformation they've received about homosexuality.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

BTW I loved that the bigots in the sports world were left squirming after ESPN aired Michael kissing his boyfriend after getting the call. Who the hell watches live coverage of the NFL 7th round anyways?

I had not watched since the 24th pick of the first round. Came home from a few hours in the office turned on the TV and just happened to catch the Michael Sam pick. I'm glad I got to see it live.

Maybe I'm projecting here, maybe Mel Kiper is actually with the times, but he didn't look comfortable with the man on man public displays of affection.

It's not that, it's just an awkward situation to watch, I feel the same way when I'm around 2 straight people making out. I really dont see why people are making such a big deal about this. He came out woopity doo, he got drafted in the 7th round, there are probably reasons behind that that only the GMs and coaches know. It's really not that big of a deal

Woopity do?

Sorry dude, this is a big deal. That kiss airing on ESPN was a big deal. And your complaint on why this is important is a big deal.

I'd understand being uncomfortable seeing any couple make out, but this was just a kiss. The same kiss you see QBs make to their wives after they win the Superbowl. Did you squirm then? Did you? No you didn't.

Those who are complaining about the kiss claiming they'd feel the same way over a young heterosexual or lesbian couple kissing are LIARS.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

You'll find that most athletes these days do not care about a teammate's sexuality. All they care about is if the person can help them win!!

There'll still be some that will object due to religious reasons or because of disinformation they've received about homosexuality.

Certainly, the trend is going in the right direction vs., say, 10, 20, 30 years ago. But I am sure there are still plenty of people who are uncomfortable due to good old fashioned insecurity (some then bring up the religious thing to look like they have a better reason).

Certainly, players want to win and for many that will be the bottom line. But that probably goes further with a less-replaceable superstar than someone like Michael Sam who it looks like will, at best, be a special teams and situational/depth player. But so far the only people handling this badly seem to be basement-dwelling jackasses; so far so good.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Special teams ace-in-the-hole is probably about right for a guy whose hustle is undeniable but would seem to be undersized/underqualified for his position at the NFL level. Wish him the best.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but he does not deserve all the attention he is getting. He's a 7th round draft pick, hasn't played a game yet. It's great for him that he came out of the closet, and if other people come out as well because of it good for them. But is it really necessary to make every other story be about him? I can get Lebron, or Manziel getting treated like this, but this guy was virtually unknown before he came out and the only thing he has done is win an SEC defensive player of the year, he hasn't performed outside of that. I just feel the Clowney's and the Bortles and all of the guys who had the talent and physical traits to be top draft picks. I just feel this story is really taking away from them. I was Michael Sam supporter until this media explosion occurred.

I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but he does not deserve all the attention he is getting. He's a 7th round draft pick, hasn't played a game yet. It's great for him that he came out of the closet, and if other people come out as well because of it good for them. But is it really necessary to make every other story be about him? I can get Lebron, or Manziel getting treated like this, but this guy was virtually unknown before he came out and the only thing he has done is win an SEC defensive player of the year, he hasn't performed outside of that. I just feel the Clowney's and the Bortles and all of the guys who had the talent and physical traits to be top draft picks. I just feel this story is really taking away from them. I was Michael Sam supporter until this media explosion occurred.

Yeah, you're right. He's just the defensive player of the year in the toughest conference of college football. No big deal. Maybe he'll crack the practice squad.

I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but he does not deserve all the attention he is getting.

Breaking barriers is always important. Whether you like it or not.

not when there are dozens of gay men already playing or have played, and I'm sure their team mates knew and didn't care.

Wow.

Some buyers are probably just showing support, but I think this probably indicates that many are looking to Sam as someone who (and I don't care what anyone else says; this is still the case) courageously came out in his sport (which has some accepting players, but a pretty drooling idiot fan base) and is going to be 1) a role model and 2) someone who helps make things just a bit easier a bit faster for so many others.

And unless he can get faster and stronger wont last in the NFL for more than 2 years

That's really neither hear nor there. I'd be the average NFL career is about 2 years. Even if he gets cut before the regular season, he's broken ground and it remains a big deal. Yeah, a lot of people will be rooting for him and will be disappointed when he's out of the league (which I am guessing will be any time between after 3 pre-season games and two years) but he was still drafted and hopefully, he'll still go to Rams camp without incident (except from media) and it's still a step in the right direction.

I'll add that this is an organization that kept Denzel Washington's spawn on the practice squad for two years primarily because he was Denzel Washington's spawn and got Denzel (and his fans) to come to training camp. The Rams are getting a ton of media attention out of this. It's worth it from that perspective alone.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived