Mizzou's Michael Sam comes out

McCall

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question. Is Sam adopted? I'm probably the only person that saw his draft phone call footage and noticed he was the only black person in that house.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Question. Is Sam adopted? I'm probably the only person that saw his draft phone call footage and noticed he was the only black person in that house.

And you're probably the only person who cares. Honestly, does it matter?

BB52Big.jpg

I didn't realize 2.5 sacks in 11 games qualifies you as a beast on the field

He had 11.5 this past year.

9 of which were in 3 games

When you start removing the best games, everyone's stats look a lot less impressive...

@infrared41: Let's not get all worked up. I saw something, and asked a question about it. Asking questions is what people do.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

That's an odd question to ask in this thread. It shouldn't have mattered that he was gay when talking about his football potential and draft position and yet there it was. So inside that story, in the house where cameras are focused on him because of that, someone else notices another possible non-football related issue and inquires about it. Why the flippant response?

FWIW, I don't believe Sam is adopted, but his family life growing up was not stable, and he did spend a significant amount of time living with the family/ies of his friends. That's what I recall from articles that came out a few months ago and a quick peak at Wikipedia.

No idea if the people he was with today were from that family. It could have been his boyfriend's family, I suppose. No clue.

Anyways, I absolutely love this pick. I'm really proud he'll be playing for the Rams, and I certainly teared up watching his reaction. It's a big moment. It really is.

Aside from that, the Rams got the co-SEC Defensive Player of the Year at #249. That's pretty great. Just more depth for an already loaded front 7.

@infrared41: Let's not get all worked up. I saw something, and asked a question about it. Asking questions is what people do.

No one is "all worked up." (as opposed to partially worked up?) I just thought it was an odd observation so I commented on it. Commenting is what people do.

That's an odd question to ask in this thread. It shouldn't have mattered that he was gay when talking about his football potential and draft position and yet there it was. So inside that story, in the house where cameras are focused on him because of that, someone else notices another possible non-football related issue and inquires about it. Why the flippant response?

Why not? B)

Look, I just thought it was an odd thing to notice so I commented on it. Sue me.

BB52Big.jpg

FWIW, I don't believe Sam is adopted, but his family life growing up was not stable, and he did spend a significant amount of time living with the family/ies of his friends. That's what I recall from articles that came out a few months ago and a quick peak at Wikipedia.

No idea if the people he was with today were from that family. It could have been his boyfriend's family, I suppose. No clue.

Anyways, I absolutely love this pick. I'm really proud he'll be playing for the Rams, and I certainly teared up watching his reaction. It's a big moment. It really is.

Aside from that, the Rams got the co-SEC Defensive Player of the Year at #249. That's pretty great. Just more depth for an already loaded front 7.

That's my guess... from what I've read, his family (or at least his father) has been backing away from him since he came out. Sad.

*Hot takes*

The pick is a minimal risk/small reward situation. People remember the Rams exist for five seconds, some Missouri fans might care a little more about the Rams, and unlike the last time the Rams drafted a "hometown hero", I'm not scared he's one bad cut on the field away from living life confined to a rascal.

Also the organization has transformed whiffing on late round picks into an art form, so no real loss regardless of what Sam does on the field..

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

They televise the seventh round of the NFL draft? and people watch it? We're a nation of idiots.

Speak for yourself. Of course, what does it say about people who go on boards and complain about people watching the seventh round of the draft?! *lol*

Any chance Goodell was calling teams saying "one of you HAS to draft him, or it will look like we blackballed him since some people said he was a 3rd rounder"? could he have been forced on the Rams? Maybe the NFL brass felt that it would be easier for him to stay in-state, and flat out told the Rams to pick him in the last round if nobody else did?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I would have liked him to be drafted "mr irrelevant" that would have caused a riot

I don't get the "Mr Irrelevant" thing, since there are tons of players every year who make the league without even being drafted. I don't know the stats for the last pick and how often they make the roster, but it's certainly not an "irrelevant" selection.

But yeah - that definitely would have made it look like a "mercy" or "token" selection.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I didn't realize 2.5 sacks in 11 games qualifies you as a beast on the field

He had 11.5 this past year.

9 of which were in 3 games
"If you don't count all the games where he was great he's actually pretty terrible!"

Archived