Mizzou's Michael Sam comes out

McCall

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get the "Mr Irrelevant" thing, since there are tons of players every year who make the league without even being drafted. I don't know the stats for the last pick and how often they make the roster, but it's certainly not an "irrelevant" selection.

That's because there's only 7 rounds now. Back when Mr. Irrelevant started (in 1976) there were 17, and most of the guys drafted in those later rounds didn't even have a career after the preseason.

I feel like in the modern draft era there have been guys drafted in one of the sevens rounds that did not make the final roster.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Any chance Goodell was calling teams saying "one of you HAS to draft him, or it will look like we blackballed him since some people said he was a 3rd rounder"? could he have been forced on the Rams? Maybe the NFL brass felt that it would be easier for him to stay in-state, and flat out told the Rams to pick him in the last round if nobody else did?

No.

I would have liked him to be drafted "mr irrelevant" that would have caused a riot

I don't get the "Mr Irrelevant" thing, since there are tons of players every year who make the league without even being drafted. I don't know the stats for the last pick and how often they make the roster, but it's certainly not an "irrelevant" selection.

But yeah - that definitely would have made it look like a "mercy" or "token" selection.

Mr. Irrelevant is actually a fun thing the NFL does, it comes with a trophy and a parade with a roast as they are honored for a week in Newport Beach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Irrelevant

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

It might have been more beneficial to Michael Sam for him not to be drafted and to select the best situation to sign as an undrafted free agent. But this story had a lot more meaning, for the NFL and the LGBT community for a team to draft him.

First Robbie Rogers, then Jason Collins, now Michael Sam? Us gays are taking over!

BTW I loved that the bigots in the sports world were left squirming after ESPN aired Michael kissing his boyfriend after getting the call. Who the hell watches live coverage of the NFL 7th round anyways?

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Who the hell watches live coverage of the NFL 7th round anyways?

Careful, Braden, oddball is going to get you for that remark!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

BTW I loved that the bigots in the sports world were left squirming after ESPN aired Michael kissing his boyfriend after getting the call. Who the hell watches live coverage of the NFL 7th round anyways?

I had not watched since the 24th pick of the first round. Came home from a few hours in the office turned on the TV and just happened to catch the Michael Sam pick. I'm glad I got to see it live.

Maybe I'm projecting here, maybe Mel Kiper is actually with the times, but he didn't look comfortable with the man on man public displays of affection.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I had not watched since the 24th pick of the first round. Came home from a few hours in the office turned on the TV and just happened to catch the Michael Sam pick. I'm glad I got to see it live.

Maybe I'm projecting here, maybe Mel Kiper is actually with the times, but he didn't look comfortable with the man on man public displays of affection.

It's not that, it's just an awkward situation to watch, I feel the same way when I'm around 2 straight people making out. I really dont see why people are making such a big deal about this. He came out woopity doo, he got drafted in the 7th round, there are probably reasons behind that that only the GMs and coaches know. It's really not that big of a deal

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Michael Sam currently has the #2 selling rookie jersey. Right behind Manziel, and ahead of first overall pick Jadeveon Clowney.

http://www.outsports.com/2014/5/12/5709578/michael-sam-jerseys-selling-nfl-rookies

"This is unprecedented for a Day 3 pick, let alone a seventh round pick, to crack the top five rookies sold following Draft weekend," said NFL spokesperson Joanna Hunter.

Compounding that is the fact that Sam's jerseys were not available for sale until Saturday evening when he was picked. The jerseys of the other players on the top-five list have been available since Thursday, allowing for 48 hours more of sales.

Wow.

Some buyers are probably just showing support, but I think this probably indicates that many are looking to Sam as someone who (and I don't care what anyone else says; this is still the case) courageously came out in his sport (which has some accepting players, but a pretty drooling idiot fan base) and is going to be 1) a role model and 2) someone who helps make things just a bit easier a bit faster for so many others.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Wow.

Some buyers are probably just showing support, but I think this probably indicates that many are looking to Sam as someone who (and I don't care what anyone else says; this is still the case) courageously came out in his sport (which has some accepting players, but a pretty drooling idiot fan base) and is going to be 1) a role model and 2) someone who helps make things just a bit easier a bit faster for so many others.

And unless he can get faster and stronger wont last in the NFL for more than 2 years

Wow.

And unless he can get faster and stronger wont last in the NFL for more than 2 years

Then he can live out the dream as the first openly gay Arena Football League player.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Michael Sam currently has the #2 selling rookie jersey. Right behind Manziel, and ahead of first overall pick Jadeveon Clowney.

http://www.outsports.com/2014/5/12/5709578/michael-sam-jerseys-selling-nfl-rookies

"This is unprecedented for a Day 3 pick, let alone a seventh round pick, to crack the top five rookies sold following Draft weekend," said NFL spokesperson Joanna Hunter.

Compounding that is the fact that Sam's jerseys were not available for sale until Saturday evening when he was picked. The jerseys of the other players on the top-five list have been available since Thursday, allowing for 48 hours more of sales.

Is the jersey at the site just a place holder, or is he actually wearing number 10?

Is the jersey at the site just a place holder, or is he actually wearing number 10?

Placeholder. LBs can't have #10. Sam was the 10th player drafted by the Rams this year.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived