Mizzou's Michael Sam comes out

McCall

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Comments on internet news stories are one of my guilty pleasures... these are particularly juicy:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/05/12/former-giant-derrick-ward-rips-michael-sam-espn-for-televised-kiss/

About the actual story itself.... I hadn't watched the footage of Sam getting drafted yet, but was aware of the controversy about the kiss. I watched it when I saw that article... holy moly are people really getting worked up over two seconds of kissing? Was there really tongue like Derrick Ward says? I watched twice and didn't see. This is about as noticeable and important as the "gay family" in Frozen.

Comments on internet news stories are one of my guilty pleasures... these are particularly juicy:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/05/12/former-giant-derrick-ward-rips-michael-sam-espn-for-televised-kiss/

About the actual story itself.... I hadn't watched the footage of Sam getting drafted yet, but was aware of the controversy about the kiss. I watched it when I saw that article... holy moly are people really getting worked up over two seconds of kissing? Was there really tongue like Derrick Ward says? I watched twice and didn't see. This is about as noticeable and important as the "gay family" in Frozen.

Well that was enough faith lost in humanity for me today (looking through the comment section).

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

This is probably going to get me thrown under the bus, but I don't really see anything wrong with this. He has certain convictions that he believes, and he's not forcing them on anyone. He's allowed to believe what he wants to, and he made it clear that he is in no way trying to be hateful towards Michael Sam or any other gays. We live in a free speech, freedom of religion society, and he made sure to state that he's just saying what he believes, and is in no way targeting gays.

Consider this scenario:

Michael Sam is gay, he believes/practices a certain lifestyle that is deemed unpopular by some, he manifests that belief by kissing his boyfriend on national TV and is applauded.

Maurice Price is a Christian, he believes/practices a certain lifestyle that is deemed unpopular by some, he manifests that belief by tweeting his religious beliefs about homosexuality, and is ripped to shreds by the media and fined.

Who is being intolerant here?

Just remember that true tolerance is a two-way street. Though you may not agree with what someone believes or practices, it's not an excuse to target them with hate, like Maurice Price was.

“I wish Michael Sam nothing but the best and I hope he goes and has a fantastic career,”

“I’m not a homophobe,” Price said. “A homophobe is someone who can’t associate or be around gays."
“What kind of person would I be to say I don’t think the NFL, or the CFL for that matter, should allow gay players? That doesn’t make any sense.”
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

This is probably going to get me thrown under the bus, but I don't really see anything wrong with this. He has certain convictions that he believes, and he's not forcing them on anyone. He's allowed to believe what he wants to, and he made it clear that he is in no way trying to be hateful towards Michael Sam or any other gays. We live in a free speech, freedom of religion society, and he made sure to state that he's just saying what he believes, and is in no way targeting gays.

Consider this scenario:

Michael Sam is gay, he believes/practices a certain lifestyle that is deemed unpopular by some, he manifests that belief by kissing his boyfriend on national TV and is applauded.

Maurice Price is a Christian, he believes/practices a certain lifestyle that is deemed unpopular by some, he manifests that belief by tweeting his religious beliefs about homosexuality, and is ripped to shreds by the media and fined.

Just remember that true tolerance is a two-way street. Though you may not agree with what someone believes or practices, it's not an excuse to target them with hate, like Maurice Price was.

“I wish Michael Sam nothing but the best and I hope he goes and has a fantastic career,”

“I’m not a homophobe,” Price said. “A homophobe is someone who can’t associate or be around gays."
“What kind of person would I be to say I don’t think the NFL, or the CFL for that matter, should allow gay players? That doesn’t make any sense.”

No better words were said about tolerance! Thanks for posting on this subject.

spacer.png

Consider this scenario:

We do this dance every time this thread comes along.

first of all, here's the tweet: "My faith won't allow me to ACCEPT what took place over the weekend! Sorry, NOT sorry! #AdamAndEve #NotAdamAndAdam"

This guy can NOT ACCEPT it all he wants, but it's happening and it's happening everywhere. Intolerance is not a two way street and here's the difference: religion is a choice. Sexual orientation is not. This CFL player chose to hide behind his religion to say some hateful things and I'm pretty sure that's not what Christianity is about. Acting like this guy's tweet is just as valid an opinion is ridiculous. This isn't a 50-50 issue.

He's not forcing his beliefs on anyone? He TWEETED it. Not forcing his beliefs on anyone would be to keep his outdated thoughts to himself.

"BUT HIS BELIEFS". His beliefs are DUMB. There are people who BELIEVE that a secret society of lizard people control the human race. Doesn't mean those beliefs aren't stupid. I was raised in a christian household and I have no problem with gay people. Choosing to use your religion to be hateful is bull$hit and cowardly.

What are Maurice Price's feelings on divorce, sex out of wedlock, children out of wedlock, etc. Why is homosexuality so vilified by you people while other sinners are allowed to walk around without being persecuted? Your cherry picking of this one thing is beyond strange.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Why is religion a choice? If it's part of who they are, how is that any different than sexuality? I'm not defending his beliefs. As a Christian myself, I think it's incorrect. But he still has the right to believe what he believes. He's not calling for violence or harm against gays, he's not calling for the league to disallow gay players or to boycott if they do. He's simply saying what his personal belief is. Hell he even wished him well in the league. That's the opposite of hate. He may be incorrect, but he's not being hateful. No different than Phil Robertson. He was asked a question on his beliefs, he stated his personal belief but also said that shouldn't matter and everyone, of any sexuality, should be treated with respect.

Everyone is so hell bent in eradicating prejudice, which is good, but keep going after instances that really carry no weight in that regard. And constantly doing so risks losing any credibility when an actual instance occurs.

Consider this scenario:

first of all, here's the tweet: "My faith won't allow me to ACCEPT what took place over the weekend! Sorry, NOT sorry! #AdamAndEve #NotAdamAndAdam"

This guy can NOT ACCEPT it all he wants, but it's happening and it's happening everywhere. Intolerance is not a two way street and here's the difference: religion is a choice. Sexual orientation is not. This CFL player chose to hide behind his religion to say some hateful things and I'm pretty sure that's not what Christianity is about. Acting like this guy's tweet is just as valid an opinion is ridiculous. This isn't a 50-50 issue.

He's not forcing his beliefs on anyone? He TWEETED it. Not forcing his beliefs on anyone would be to keep his outdated thoughts to himself.

"BUT HIS BELIEFS". His beliefs are DUMB. There are people who BELIEVE that a secret society of lizard people control the human race. Doesn't mean those beliefs aren't stupid. I was raised in a christian household and I have no problem with gay people. Choosing to use your religion to be hateful is bull$hit and cowardly.

What are Maurice Price's feelings on divorce, sex out of wedlock, children out of wedlock, etc. Why is homosexuality so vilified by you people while other sinners are allowed to walk around without being persecuted? Your cherry picking of this one thing is beyond strange.

It's not worth it!

spacer.png

IBTL.

This argument will ultimately go nowhere.

What does IBTL stand for? I don't do abbreviation on my phone or in life, so I have no clue. I would Google it, but I don't have time.

spacer.png

Why is religion a choice? If it's part of who they are, how is that any different than sexuality?

Because if I want to be Jewish I can go be Jewish. If I want to convert to Islam I can convert to Islam. If I wish to stop practicing Christianity I can do that too.

I never chose to be a straight guy and my gay friends didn't choose to be gay. My one gay friend says all the time that he hates being gay because of all the extra bull$hit (like this) that he has to put up with and if he could choose he wouldn't be gay, but that hard as he tried he'll never not be gay. He's also an officer of the law so it's not exactly an ideal work environment for someone to "choose" to be gay. Even through all of that though, he still lives his life as himself because that's better than hiding who he really is.

I'm not defending his beliefs. As a Christian myself, I think it's incorrect. But he still has the right to believe what he believes. He's not calling for violence or harm against gays, he's not calling for the league to disallow gay players or to boycott if they do. He's simply saying what his personal belief is. Hell he even wished him well in the league. That's the opposite of hate. He may be incorrect, but he's not being hateful. No different than Phil Robertson. He was asked a question on his beliefs, he stated his personal belief but also said that shouldn't matter and everyone, of any sexuality, should be treated with respect.

I think he did some world class backpedaling when asked about it (is he a defensive back?). People can state their beliefs all they want and if they put it in a public forum then others have the right to discuss it. Okay, maybe he wasn't being "hateful", but he was being out of touch with what is acceptable in 2014.

PvO6ZWJ.png

You know an argument can be made that Jerry Smith a TE for the Redskins who was gay should be the NFL Hall of Fame, when he retired he had the record for Touchdowns among NFL Tight Ends with 60.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

IBTL.

This argument will ultimately go nowhere.

What does IBTL stand for? I don't do abbreviation on my phone or in life, so I have no clue. I would Google it, but I don't have time.

Yet you had time to respond?

In Before The Lock.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Consider this scenario:

I agree that anyone can choose to be religious and I also believe that anyone can choose to live the type of lifestyle that they want to live. I believe that people are born with a lot of traits. Babies can be born as alcoholics, druggies, extra genes (Klinefleter & Down Syndrome) and they can be born gay. But that does not mean they have to live that lifestyle. As a Christian, I believe the all people are born into sin and that people can be born with different afflictions and abnormalities.

I was born with Klinefelter Syndrome (KS) and when I found out about this I was 39 years old and the first words out of my doctor's mouth was if I was "gay." I told him no and asked why he questioned that. His response, "generally patients who are born with KS are 90% more likely to be "gay." He asked if I ever had feelings for the same sex and I told him yes, but I do not believe in that type of relationship. It was my choice to be a Christian and not be "gay." I am not saying that everyone is like me, nor am I saying I wish everyone is like me. I am just trying to prove that all decisions in our lives are choices and to each their own.

It kinda does. They have to make themselves happy. What they don't have to do is choose to be straight against their nature just to make people of a certain religion(s) comfortable.

I don't want to get into your specific situation; if that makes you happy, so be it, but you cannot expect everyone to react like you do (and maybe you have feelings towards men and women; I do believe there is a continuum). I am not religious and am often accused of not having "faith". But I do. I have faith that those people who do not go to great lengths to "be straight" despite their feelings are going to spend eternity burning.

But as McCarthy points out, there are a lot of sins and one in particular is being cherry-picked. Selective outrage, eh,? People in Arizona are not fighting to have the "religious freedom" to not serve divorced people. But that's interesting. A battered woman can make the "lifestyle choice" to stay with an abusive husband so as not to "sin." It's probably not a healthy choice but it's pretty analogous to "choosing" to be straight despite what one's body is telling them.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Why is religion a choice? If it's part of who they are, how is that any different than sexuality?

Because if I want to be Jewish I can go be Jewish. If I want to convert to Islam I can convert to Islam. If I wish to stop practicing Christianity I can do that too.

I never chose to be a straight guy and my gay friends didn't choose to be gay. My one gay friend says all the time that he hates being gay because of all the extra bull$hit (like this) that he has to put up with and if he could choose he wouldn't be gay, but that hard as he tried he'll never not be gay. He's also an officer of the law so it's not exactly an ideal work environment for someone to "choose" to be gay. Even through all of that though, he still lives his life as himself because that's better than hiding who he really is.

I'm not defending his beliefs. As a Christian myself, I think it's incorrect. But he still has the right to believe what he believes. He's not calling for violence or harm against gays, he's not calling for the league to disallow gay players or to boycott if they do. He's simply saying what his personal belief is. Hell he even wished him well in the league. That's the opposite of hate. He may be incorrect, but he's not being hateful. No different than Phil Robertson. He was asked a question on his beliefs, he stated his personal belief but also said that shouldn't matter and everyone, of any sexuality, should be treated with respect.

I think he did some world class backpedaling when asked about it (is he a defensive back?). People can state their beliefs all they want and if they put it in a public forum then others have the right to discuss it. Okay, maybe he wasn't being "hateful", but he was being out of touch with what is acceptable in 2014.

But should that earn him a fine?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Tolerance should not extend to the intolerant.

The philosopher Karl Popper on the paradox of tolerance:

The so-called paradox of freedom is the argument that freedom in the sense of absence of any constraining control must lead to very great restraint, since it makes the bully free to enslave the meek. The idea is, in a slightly different form, and with very different tendency, clearly expressed in Plato.

Less well known is the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. — In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant. We should claim that any movement preaching intolerance places itself outside the law, and we should consider incitement to intolerance and persecution as criminal, in the same way as we should consider incitement to murder, or to kidnapping, or to the revival of the slave trade, as criminal.

Freedom of speech is important from a government stance, and I don't endorse his final statements about putting viewpoints of intolerance outside the law. Everyone should have the right to speak their beliefs.

But as private entities we should absolutely make clear that speech and viewpoints of intolerance will not be accepted (or tolerated, if you will).

Why is religion a choice? If it's part of who they are, how is that any different than sexuality? I'm not defending his beliefs. As a Christian myself, I think it's incorrect. But he still has the right to believe what he believes. He's not calling for violence or harm against gays, he's not calling for the league to disallow gay players or to boycott if they do. He's simply saying what his personal belief is. Hell he even wished him well in the league. That's the opposite of hate. He may be incorrect, but he's not being hateful. No different than Phil Robertson. He was asked a question on his beliefs, he stated his personal belief but also said that shouldn't matter and everyone, of any sexuality, should be treated with respect.

Everyone is so hell bent in eradicating prejudice, which is good, but keep going after instances that really carry no weight in that regard. And constantly doing so risks losing any credibility when an actual instance occurs.

You can leave your faith at any point. It's not genetic, it's not biological. It is only social forces keeping you in the place. You can't stop being gay.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You can leave your faith at any point. It's not genetic, it's not biological. It is only social forces keeping you in the place. You can't stop being gay.
For once, we agree on something.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Archived