Mizzou's Michael Sam comes out

McCall

After being drafted by the St. Louis Rams, Michael Sam celebrated by kissing his boyfriend. This is historic because it’s the first time anyone has celebrated being drafted by the St. Louis Rams. - Conan O'Brien

Just easin' the tension baby, just easin' the tension

What you didn't know is that this would set me into a spree of defending my Rams. You probably should have known this, but I suppose you'll learn.

Ok, just kidding. I won't do that. This time. ;)

The best humor does have a grain of truth to it. :(

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I am who I always wanted to be. I am a straight man that had a slip up in my early days. I have repented and never once have I had a second thought on whether I am gay or not. It is not due to my religion, but more due to the fact that I believe it is disgusting.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You are absolutely correct. His self-identification is none of our business.

His ludicrous assertion on this thread that gay people can just quit being gay like "an alcoholic can stop drinking or a meth addict can quit smoking the pipe", however, is very much our business. And deserves every last ounce of derision we can muster.

Fellow board members,

I want to clear up some facts if I may. First off I do not have a hateful bone in my body and people just ASSume that since I find two men kissing to be disgusting does not mean I hate them. I love all people and even though I don't agree with them, I do not hate them. I do not agree with the rapists, murderers and thieves of this world, but I do not hate them.

If I met any of you face-to-face, you would know that I am about treating others fairly as long as it does not affect me or my family's life then I am fine. I am not perfect, I make mistakes ever single day and I repent every single night. I tried to be honest about my personal life on here to show that not all people have to live a certain way and it back-fired in my face. I thought if I proved medical points that I could prove my point, but like me, a lot of people do not want to change what they believe.

This will be my last post on this topic, as I have went through and edited most of my previous posts, but I wanted to say that if I offended anyone with my posts, I sincerely apologize as that was not my intent and I must ask for your forgiveness. I like to debate and sometimes I go overboard.

Thank You

Nuordr

spacer.png

You guys have no idea how y'all have changed my views on gay people. I remember that I had said something hateful about gay people about two years ago on this forum, and got blasted for it, but I have since changed, and think that these people deserve what they want. I am a Christian. I love going to church, and I must say that I love gay people too. My chorus teacher is gay, and I think he is the coolest person ever. I have come to accept these people into my heart, and I would not show any hate towards them. Now do I agree with their sexual orientation? No, because I love women, what can I say? I am who I am, and I love girls. :)

I think nuordr is a good guy, and probably just said the wrong things. Though I may have missed quite bit of his other posts, I believe he can make up for whatever it is he said. Sure his views may or may not change, but I believe maybe his eyes will be open up through his mistakes in this thread the same way mine were two years ago.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Not an insult at all, as a KS patient, we are born with that extra gene that has us have feelings of both a man and a woman because our bodies are unable to produce Testosterone. Thus, it is natural for us to be feminine, which I was for the biggest part of my life. But once I was diagnosed and I started taking Testosterone Cynapide medicine I know I am who I always wanted to be. I am a straight man that had a slip up in my early days. I have repented and never once have I had a second thought on whether I am gay or not. It is not due to my religion, but more due to the fact that I believe it is disgusting.

This explains so much.

I want to clear up some facts if I may. First off I do not have a hateful bone in my body and people just ASSume that since I find two men kissing to be disgusting does not mean I hate them. I love all people and even though I don't agree with them, I do not hate them. I do not agree with the rapists, murderers and thieves of this world, but I do not hate them

Two things. If you find something disgusting, and admit that you find it disgusting, it's hard to believe you don't dislike or hate it.

Secondly, this is the bigger problem. You keep equating being gay to being a drug addict, and alcoholic, or a murderer. That is, in and of itself, insulting. Your inability to grasp that is the source of the tension here. You mention meeting face to face. Well if you met me face to face and told me you think who I love puts me on par with a drug addict then I'm going to think you're an :censored: hole regardless of how much you insist you don't hate me.

Now you said you're done posting in this topic so I don't expect a response. Just letting you know where the problem lies.

Because the Almighty Gothamite said so!

But he's right. Like it or not nuordr equating homosexuality with murder is a problem.

And let's not ignore that the same guy calling out people having thin skins regarding the hypothetical of screening out gay fetuses in fact has a pretty thin skin on homosexuality in and of itself.

VmWIn6B.png

Yeah. Whether the wording was perfect or not, I don't think Tank's post was offensive.

I also don't know if it's accurate, but it may be. Is there actually specific evidence that it's a gene at this point, or is that just a theory?

I'm also no biologist. Are all of our predisposition's theorized to be caused by specific genes, or in some cases wouldn't it be other chemical balances a few steps down from genes.

And now my head hurts. This is why I went to art school.

... and this is where science, politics and religion intersect. People who are anti-gay for religious reasons don't want a "gay gene", because that lends more credibility to the idea that you are born gay. If there's no genetic basis for sexual orientation, that makes it seem more like a simple choice you make. Of course, those kinds of people are good at ignoring science that they don't like, so it might not matter much. I really don't know which way the science is leaning at this point.

No offense to the other posters, as I have agreed with them up until this post, but we have no right to declare that this man is a "hidden homosexual" from a couple posts he's made on a sports forum. Nor is it any of our business.

First off, no one "declared" anything. Second, don't lump everyone else, including yourself, (and when it involves something I said, especially yourself) into something that I said. I was the one who said it. It was me and me alone. It wasn't a declaration, it was simply my theory based on his statements. It wasn't meant as an attack, insult, etc. And lastly, whatever.

BB52Big.jpg

Michael Sam's journey towards and NFL roster (and beyond?) will be captured in a multi-part documentary series produced and aired on OWN (Oprah's network).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24562733/oprah-winfrey-network-to-produce-michael-sam-documentary

Sam is going to get some grief as he goes through this. It will probably be spurred by people who dislike him for being openly homosexual in general, but they'll have give other reasons (that are not necessarily invalid).

Sam is very comfortable talking publicly, but he's not polished. He's brash and confident. He comes off arrogant in some ways. I think he might HAVE to have this sort of personality in order to do what he is, but it is, nonetheless, a bit uncomfortable to watch at times.

And now, a day after making clear that he was focused on football from here on out (which was obviously never going to be entirely possible), the news comes out that he's agreed to have his life publicly documented, presumably for some payment.

He's opening himself up for some extra criticism. I don't have an issue with what he's doing. I hope it won't actually be a distraction to his efforts to make the football team, but I think it's great that his story will be told in such depth. I hope it inspires many.

But to many already predisposed to disliking him, he's given ammo. I think there's more ugliness to come. I hope it continues to be drowned out by acceptance and support.

Fellow board members,

I want to clear up some facts if I may. First off I do not have a hateful bone in my body and people just ASSume that since I find two men kissing to be disgusting does not mean I hate them. I love all people and even though I don't agree with them, I do not hate them. I do not agree with the rapists, murderers and thieves of this world, but I do not hate them.

If I met any of you face-to-face, you would know that I am about treating others fairly as long as it does not affect me or my family's life then I am fine. I am not perfect, I make mistakes ever single day and I repent every single night. I tried to be honest about my personal life on here to show that not all people have to live a certain way and it back-fired in my face. I thought if I proved medical points that I could prove my point, but like me, a lot of people do not want to change what they believe.

This will be my last post on this topic, as I have went through and edited most of my previous posts, but I wanted to say that if I offended anyone with my posts, I sincerely apologize as that was not my intent and I must ask for your forgiveness. I like to debate and sometimes I go overboard.

Thank You

Nuordr

You don't seem to understand the definition of "agree".

You don't "agree" with rapists, murderers, and thieves? Since when are rape murder and theft opinions?

And to equate homosexuality with crimes is beyond reproach.

You have an incredibly misguided opinion of things. To think that through sheer willpower one can permanently change innate biological traits is ignorant and dangerous. Or, you're some magical being that can change skin color or regenerate missing limbs.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Michael Sam's journey towards and NFL roster (and beyond?) will be captured in a multi-part documentary series produced and aired on OWN (Oprah's network).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24562733/oprah-winfrey-network-to-produce-michael-sam-documentary

Sam is going to get some grief as he goes through this. It will probably be spurred by people who dislike him for being openly homosexual in general, but they'll have give other reasons (that are not necessarily invalid).

Sam is very comfortable talking publicly, but he's not polished. He's brash and confident. He comes off arrogant in some ways. I think he might HAVE to have this sort of personality in order to do what he is, but it is, nonetheless, a bit uncomfortable to watch at times.

And now, a day after making clear that he was focused on football from here on out (which was obviously never going to be entirely possible), the news comes out that he's agreed to have his life publicly documented, presumably for some payment.

He's opening himself up for some extra criticism. I don't have an issue with what he's doing. I hope it won't actually be a distraction to his efforts to make the football team, but I think it's great that his story will be told in such depth. I hope it inspires many.

But to many already predisposed to disliking him, he's given ammo. I think there's more ugliness to come. I hope it continues to be drowned out by acceptance and support.

I'm sorry but it just seems he wants attention now. Why would he want his life documented if it was his "own personal business." None of this is adding up. You dont go to the New York Times to announce you are gay, and then have what sounds like a reality TV show if you dont just want attention. This sounds like something TO or chad Ocho-cinco would do not someone who just wants to be accepted.

You are absolutely correct. His self-identification is none of our business.

Wait, what? That's what this whole thread is about.

I was talking about our fellow poster. He's not a public figure.

Michael Sam is, and therefore his coming out is important, for all the reasons discussed.

No offense to the other posters, as I have agreed with them up until this post, but we have no right to declare that this man is a "hidden homosexual" from a couple posts he's made on a sports forum. Nor is it any of our business.

First off, no one "declared" anything. Second, don't lump everyone else, including yourself, (and when it involves something I said, especially yourself) into something that I said. I was the one said it. It was me and me alone. It wasn't a declaration, it was simply my theory based on his statements. It wasn't meant as an attack, insult, etc. And lastly, whatever.

Well, excuse me, didn't mean to make you upset buddy. Calm your horses. You really took my post really personal, huh bro?

I'm sorry but it just seems he wants attention now. Why would he want his life documented if it was his "own personal business." None of this is adding up. You dont go to the New York Times to announce you are gay, and then have what sounds like a reality TV show if you dont just want attention. This sounds like something TO or chad Ocho-cinco would do not someone who just wants to be accepted.

Maybe he's willing to take the cries of "attention whore" (and surely) worse if it means showing others it's okay to be who they are.

First off, no one "declared" anything. Second, don't lump everyone else, including yourself, (and when it involves something I said, especially yourself) into something that I said. I was the one said it. It was me and me alone. It wasn't a declaration, it was simply my theory based on his statements. It wasn't meant as an attack, insult, etc. And lastly, whatever.

Well, excuse me, didn't mean to make you upset buddy. Calm your horses. You really took my post really personal, huh bro?

As much as you'd like me to be, I'm not upset at all. Sorry to disappoint you again, but I didn't take it personally either. You tagged everyone with something that I said. I didn't think it was fair to do that. Just wanted to make it clear that I was the only one who said it. Nice try though.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived