New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

Man, these unis are going to look crazy nice!

if by crazy nice you mean keeping one squinting eye on the past while looking at the future with a bold new look, heavy emphasis on futuristic.

So which one of you actually has the inside track?

I do. They are going to be consistent with the rich browns tradition but with a modern and cutting edge twist. Essentially recolored tosu rivalry uniforms with a brushed metal finish. The orange will be tweaked slightly to vol orange as an homage to haslam's deep ties to knoxville and not coincidentally nike's upcoming contract with the university. This will be a true example of nike leveraging it's modern design synergies while capturing the rich spirit of classic and nostalgic football.

I wouldn't hate this.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because those two went with more traditional looks doesn't mean that they couldn't have come up with a crazy uniform in a year, or that one of the crazier uniforms couldn't have gone with a traditional look in 2 years, correlation does not mean causation. It is just a coincidence, the browns would be fools to go with a crazy uniform after being the most traditional looking team in the NFL during their entire history.

And all that tradition is completely associated with failure. No one gives a :censored: what happened pre merger. I understand completely why a new owner would want to shake up the culture and tradition of losing.

The fan base cares, and that is what matters

But Haslam is a smart business man and he knows fans will buy the jerseys no matter what they look like.

Being originally from Ohio, I still know lots of hard core Browns fans, and it's absolutely true that the vast majority would hate pretty much any change, and will be up in arms over it. But that doesn't mean it still won't happen. In fact if you think about it, for certain teams, its almost a win-win situation. Debut a butt ugly uniform, get lots of press, sell a ton of jerseys to the young mouth-breather set, and then in 5 or 6 years when the bump has run its course, you can pull out a back-to-basics, return-to-tradition campaign, and the fan base will eat it up. The Detroit Pistons did it, the Buffalo Sabres did it, the San Francisco 49ers did it... you could even throw the Vikings on that list to some extent.

By the way, this whole argument that the tradition doesn't mean anything because its attached to losing is straight up stupidity. People always make that dumb argument about someone else's team. The fans of the team itself never see it that way... it's their history and it means something to them.

But Haslam is a smart business man and he knows fans will buy the jerseys no matter what they look like.

Being originally from Ohio, I still know lots of hard core Browns fans, and it's absolutely true that the vast majority would hate pretty much any change, and will be up in arms over it. But that doesn't mean it still won't happen. In fact if you think about it, for certain teams, its almost a win-win situation. Debut a butt ugly uniform, get lots of press, sell a ton of jerseys to the young mouth-breather set, and then in 5 or 6 years when the bump has run its course, you can pull out a back-to-basics, return-to-tradition campaign, and the fan base will eat it up. The Detroit Pistons did it, the Buffalo Sabres did it, the San Francisco 49ers did it... you could even throw the Vikings on that list to some extent.

By the way, this whole argument that the tradition doesn't mean anything because its attached to losing is straight up stupidity. People always make that dumb argument about someone else's team. The fans of the team itself never see it that way... it's their history and it means something to them.

I absolutely agree with everything you've said. You bring up a great point too that I think a lot of us are overlooking. Haslam grew up a Steelers fan and was a minority owner of them before buying the Browns. He probably hates the current set and wants something completely different. The tradition means nothing to him and he's even expressed publicly his desire to change everything about the losing culture of the team.

Great points OSV.

IIRC, the Bengals and Marvin Lewis cited the lost Bengals decade of the 1990s as one reason for ditching the uniforms and switching to what they wear now. It's unfortunate that the team's recent success has occurred in ugly uniforms.

I know they won't, but I'd love to see some sort of new identity for the Browns. Embrace the dog and use it. Give the team an identity instead of the orange helmet.

I think it is pretty telling that every Browns fan in here is firmly against the dawg as a primary logo and also massively supportive of Brownie.

The dawg pound is representative of one brief era and a small section of fans, not the entirety of the base. It'd be the same thing as if the Yankees decided to use some sort of Bleacher Creatures logo as their team identity.

I know they won't, but I'd love to see some sort of new identity for the Browns. Embrace the dog and use it. Give the team an identity instead of the orange helmet.

I think it is pretty telling that every Browns fan in here is firmly against the dawg as a primary logo and also massively supportive of Brownie.

The dawg pound is representative of one brief era and a small section of fans, not the entirety of the base. It'd be the same thing as if the Yankees decided to use some sort of Bleacher Creatures logo as their team identity.

Or the Boston Red Sox using some type of green monster logo

This may sound odd coming from a Steelers fan, but I hope the Browns do find a way to be competitive again, and I would hope they would keep traditional elements in the redesign. Anything more, as noted by others here, would be depressing. The Browns new ownership group has had more than its share of problems, both on and off the field.

And while the club has struggled since 1990, with only two playoff berths, it's still one of the most accomplished in pro football history. Most teams would kill for that kind of history, and the Browns were strong in the post-merger decade of the 1980s, losing two close AFC Title Games. In addition to the older fans who have passed down the memories of greats like Otto Graham and Jim Brown, you have a ton of fans with strong, personal memories of players like Ozzie Newsome and Bernie Kosar. It's that history which enabled the NFL stepping in and taking the rare step of keeping the nickname and history with the new Browns.

We'll have to wait and see what happens, it's possible this design will be rejected after one year, just like the 1984 set(which I liked). But much has changed since then, and the fanbase may find the changes acceptable which would have not been the case decades ago.

Or the Boston Red Sox using some type of green monster logo

They do have Wally the green monster

Wally the Green Monster is the team's mascot. Just like the Philly Phanatic and the Mariner Moose. Doesn't mean the team should incorporate it as part of its identity.

Having the Browns use the Dawg as part of its visual identity is the same thing as having the Redskins use the Hogettes for a logo.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Or the Rams using a Cardinal.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Brownie's a cool, inventive logo for the Browns.......but it's a horrible primary logo. If they do use it, it should be a secondary logo. But that's just my opinion.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Bears mentioning once more...

While I've always liked Harry's updated elf logo, and believe it would work great as a supporting logo...of all the Browns logo concepts I've seen over the years, this by far is still the best, most solid concept I've seen, with the most potential for longstanding recognition:Richards_Browns-Merch2.jpg

(Check rtrich's progression on that project here.)

Add Andy Harry's elf update to that as a supporting mark and...

logo.png

...There you have it--winner winner, chicken dinner.

(I'd submit my own uniform concept along with this, but that'd just be shallow on my part. B) )

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

As a Browns fan I would take the dog over elfie any day. I don't like the thought if a elf on leotards representing my team.

Fans never had a problem with it before.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived