Qatar 2022 World Cup Discussion

Brian in Boston

Some additional thoughts:

- Zimmerman is fine when defending, but he’s been bad to atrocious picking out passes to the midfield. He looks a little timid or even scared, at times. I thought he almost cost us again. 

- Ream has been outstanding. So glad to have him out there. It seemed like he’s provided a veteran calming presence for the team. He clearly isn’t intimidated by anyone. He and Robinson have been great on the left side. Really really strong. 

- I missed the start, but did the US come out in a 4-4-2? It looked like that at times defensively.  I thought that did wonders for our midfield. They were very strong and dominant for large stretches. Adams was sensational again, McKinnie looked way better than he did in the first game (I know he wants that chance in the box back) and Musah showed the word why the US, Valencia and England are so high on him. Only 19 years old.

- Didn’t really have a problem with the subs today just wish they came sooner, although I don’t understand the point of bringing in Joe Scally if he isn’t the first full-back off the bench. He’s clear and away the best full back on the bench. 

- Pulisic looked good again, and his set piece deliveries were really good. Far improved over the Wales match. That’s a main criticism of him, but tonight they were very very good. 

All in all, the US are quite good and you can see the clear quality they possess. Individually, they’re easily the most talented and technical team we’ve ever sent to a World Cup. I sometimes forget this is still a young team and all of these players are playing in their first World Cup. By 2026, especially with it being at home, the US could make something special happen. 

• Like 1

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

10 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

- I missed the start, but did the US come out in a 4-4-2? It looked like that at times defensively.

looked like that but a 4-3-3 when in possession. Cheeky but it worked. Greggggball’s best outcome has been an improved defensive standing and this tweak made it even better without sacrificing chance creation, really smart tweak it turned out. There’s just no solve for the finishing problem. 

also Pulisic was *not* relied upon as the playmaker so much, which I think was good for both him and the team at large.

• Like 2

On 11/25/2022 at 4:31 PM, Rockstar Matt said:

Some additional thoughts:

- Zimmerman is fine when defending, but he’s been bad to atrocious picking out passes to the midfield. He looks a little timid or even scared, at times. I thought he almost cost us again. 

- Ream has been outstanding. So glad to have him out there. It seemed like he’s provided a veteran calming presence for the team. He clearly isn’t intimidated by anyone. He and Robinson have been great on the left side. Really really strong.

I fully agree with you on these points. Zimmerman isn't making sound decisions right now. I don't watch too mich MLS but not sure how he'd won best defender in 2020 and 2021.

I was concerned he would have coughed up the ball to Kane at a critical moment during the match. Fortunately, that didn't come to fruition.

Ream and Robinson have impressed me the most so far. I'm glad they're on the squad.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BrySmalls said:

I fully agree with you on these points. Zimmerman isn't making sound decisions right now. I don't watch too mich MLS but not sure how he'd won best defender in 2020 and 2021.

I was concerned he would have coughed up the ball to Kane at a critical moment during the match. Fortunately, that didn't come to fruition.

Ream and Robinson have impressed me the most so far. I'm glad they're on the squad.

Zimmerman is really good in the MLS and lower level international competition. He’s been really good. He’s been a deserving of winner of the best defender award in MLS. The knock on him has been he’s not the best CB with the ball at his feet, struggles to pick out good passes that aren’t long balls and that gets amplified when the competition level increases. There’s a reason why he’s in his prime but still playing in the MLS.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Why is head to head results NOT a tiebreaker?

Saudi Arabia defeated Argentina, yet Argentina is ahead of Saudi Arabia because they scored one more goal then the Saudis.

Costa Rica defeated Japan, yet Japan is ahead of Costa Rica because they scored one more goal then Costa Rica.

1 hour ago, Seadragon76 said:

Why is head to head results NOT a tiebreaker?

Saudi Arabia defeated Argentina, yet Argentina is ahead of Saudi Arabia because they scored one more goal then the Saudis.

Costa Rica defeated Japan, yet Japan is ahead of Costa Rica because they scored one more goal then Costa Rica.

It's Step Two of tiebreakers. Goal difference is almost always the first tiebreaker in any soccer competition:

https://sports.yahoo.com/world-cup-format-explained-rules-215913455.html

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

It's Step Two of tiebreakers. Goal difference is almost always the first tiebreaker in any soccer competition:

https://sports.yahoo.com/world-cup-format-explained-rules-215913455.html

Step 2? No... it should be Step 1. In everything else, head-to-head is always the first tiebreaker unless the teams in question didn't play each other.

Since group play is basically round robin, head to head should be the first tiebreaker.

1 hour ago, Seadragon76 said:

Step 2? No... it should be Step 1. In everything else, head-to-head is always the first tiebreaker unless the teams in question didn't play each other.

Since group play is basically round robin, head to head should be the first tiebreaker.

I don't know anything about soccer, but if it's really "round robin", then the actual teams themself don't matter - they're all basically faceless - so "head-to-head" isn't a thing.  It would be wins, then something else.

• Huh? 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

28 minutes ago, nickp91 said:

Non regular football fans think Morocco's win is an upset

It's an upset in name only, because Belgium is not the 2nd best team in the tournament. FIFA rankings make less sense than CFP rankings from last week. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Belgium looked perfectly fine in Nations League, albeit not worldbeaters. Didn't expect the wheels fall to fall off as quickly as they have. How lucky they got in their first game to steal the win. I'd like them to stick around so we can at least see their cool away kit at some point.

Davies with the first-ever goal for Canada men at at a World Cup! What a cool guy and a cool goal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nickp91 said:

Non regular football fans think Morocco's win is an upset

Morocco was +300 going into today's game. An upset. But ya, not Douglas over Tyson.

Btw is it pronounced "Kuh-tar" or "Cutter"? I keep hearing it both ways.

6uXNWAo.png

21 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Morocco was +300 going into today's game. An upset. But ya, not Douglas over Tyson.

Btw is it pronounced "Kuh-tar" or "Cutter"? I keep hearing it both ways.

Both are correct as far as I know but I usually say Kuh-Tar

And with Canada's loss they join Qatar in being eliminated

16 minutes ago, BrySmalls said:

Who had Costa Rica in their pool as the first Concacaf nation with a win at this World Cup?

Anyone have USMNT as the loan unbeaten Concacaf team through two?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags