Blue Jays vs. Mets in Olympic Stadium

Ark

I like it to. A message to the Blue Jays: Can you guys make one or two series @ the Big O in the regular season happen? :)

Given that the scourge of interleague play continues to exist, then then a Toronto-Washington series should be played in Montreal. It would be ideal if they were Washington home games, and if the Nationals took the occasion to wear Expos throwbacks. That would be the coolest thing since the Orioles wore St. Louis Browns throwbacks when they visited St. Louis.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I like it to. A message to the Blue Jays: Can you guys make one or two series @ the Big O in the regular season happen? :)

Given that the scourge of interleague play continues to exist, then then a Toronto-Washington series should be played in Montreal. It would be ideal if they were Washington home games, and if the Nationals took the occasion to wear Expos throwbacks. That would be the coolest thing since the Orioles wore St. Louis Browns throwbacks when they visited St. Louis.

Personally, I think it would be cool too, but people have also pointed out that it's like salt in the wound, which I can also somewhat agree with.

sig.png

Personally, I think it would be cool too, but people have also pointed out that it's like salt in the wound, which I can also somewhat agree with.

It could be presented as a kind of peace offerring. Imagine if, in conjunction with that series, the Nationals formally recognised the Expos' retired numbers and franchise records. They'd get lots of good press. (Which, I suppose, would not be worth much to them in the end. I suppose that I am just fantasising.)

I already think that's done. At least records and things like that. However, I'm not 100% sure if the numbers are still retired or not.

I could be all wrong on this but I think that's what's going on now with the Expos/Nats franchise.

It could be presented as a kind of peace offerring. Imagine if, in conjunction with that series, the Nationals formally recognised the Expos' retired numbers and franchise records. They'd get lots of good press. (Which, I suppose, would not be worth much to them in the end. I suppose that I am just fantasising.)

I agree with this. Someday, however, baseball will return to Montreal; it's just that a few things need to fall in place, is all.

UBwef0L.png

Yeah... just a few.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Or just have a team play all of their home games there in the near future......
It wont happen for another ten years, the environment there is toxic for an mlb team right now

While listening to the radio broadcast, the announcer said a total of 95,000 fans showed up for both games. I have to ask what was the reason of the demise of the Expos, the lack of fans at the games or because the Expos didn't get a new stadium? Or something else? And when you hear 95K show up... it's like you have to ask, what's with the strong showing of fans now?

While listening to the radio broadcast, the announcer said a total of 95,000 fans showed up for both games. I have to ask what was the reason of the demise of the Expos, the lack of fans at the games or because the Expos didn't get a new stadium? Or something else? And when you hear 95K show up... it's like you have to ask, what's with the strong showing of fans now?

the only Canadian team left played, and a team from New York played there, which is close enough to make a trip along with some Montreal fans that are left you are going to get a result like that for ONE game, there is no way that would be the case for an entire season.

Why is interleague play frowned upon?

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Why is interleague play frowned upon?

I can tell you why I don't like it.

The biggest problem with interleague play is that it messes with the integrity of the schedule, as all teams in one league do not play the same opponents. This compromises the ranking for the wildcard spots and also the post-season seedings. Indeed, all teams in one division do not always play the same opponents, given the "natural rivals" thing (mentioned below); this compromises even the divisional standings.

(It should be noted that, even without interleague play, all the teams competing for a league's wildcard spots wouldn't play the exact same schedule; they'd play differing quantities of games against the same set of opponents. This is an argument either for the elimination of the wildcard or for the use of a balanced schedule.)

Teams rotate interleague opponents; but those teams with natural rivals keep that opponent every year. This is haphazard and inconsistent. The defenders of interleague play are fond of pointing out the Yankee-Met rivalry and the Cubs-Sox rivalry. If every team had a natural rival in the other league, then this might be a halfway-defensible argument (even though the compromised integrity of the schedule, as discussed above, would remain). But the reality is that most teams do not have such a rival; there is no natural other-league rival of the Pirates or of the Mariners or of the majority of teams. So for every Yankee-Met game that some people can pretend is so meaningful, we get many more games of Twins-Marlins variety, games which are special to no one and which are less meaningful than the games against same-league opponents which these interleague games replace.

Then there is the more subtle harm that this practice does. From the beginning of the two leagues up until 1996, there was a beauty to the distinction between the leagues. Every category had an American League record and a National League record. Joe D's all-time record hitting streak was 56 games; but the NL record was 44 games. When Pete Rose tied that league record, it was a very big deal. If interleague play had existed then, how would we have dealt with this? Is it a National League record hitting streak if some of it occurs in a American League parks and against American League teams?

Even after Rickey Henderson set the all-time single-season stolen-base record of 130, Lou Brock still held the NL record of 118. Is this even acknowledged any more? Several other records, such as the single-game strikeout record, were strongly identified with the marks held in each of the leagues. It's profoundly sad that this is no longer the case.

And there was an obvious beauty to the fact that teams from the two leagues met only in the World Series. The term "Subway Series" used to refer to a World Series; it has been devalued to mean something that happens several times during every regular season.

The separate identities of the two leagues was a thing to cherish as a baseball fan. This is why I, despite having been a fan of an American League team, never wanted to see the National League adopt the DH. It's just better to have both varieties; this creates one more distintion in the league's identities, and gives us one thing to argue about. Likewise, it's better to have separate umpiring crews; this further distniguishes the leagues. (I retired as a current baseball fan after the 1996 season; but I check the photos just to stay up on the uniforms. I gag when I see Joe West umpiring an American League game.)

It was very interesting to consider the separate identities of the leagues from a historical standpoint. The National League, having integrated faster, was by far the better league throughout the 1960s, simply because it was drawing from a larger talent pool. But, by the 1970s and 1980s, the American League had caught up in overall quality, even as the NL retained an identity as a "speed league" while the AL had the image as a "power league". Even as late as 1996, the last season before interleague play, every time a Yankee stole a base, people would say "there's Torre bringing in the National League style". (The 1995 Yankees had stolen only 50 bases total under Buck, which was less than that season's individual league leader Kenny Lofton. The 1996 team nearly doubled that total.) Even if the leagues' operations were going to be administratively combined, the on-field distinction could have (should have) been retained.

With interleague play, we have lost something wonderful and we have gained nothing of value, in the process undermining the validity of the schedule.

That is interesting that they recognize the Expos numbers as retired but have and do use them. Given that three different teams (Twins, Rangers, and Nats) have called Washington home at some point in time it does seem to cause the Nats to have a historical identity crisis.

the only Canadian team left played, and a team from New York played there, which is close enough to make a trip along with some Montreal fans that are left you are going to get a result like that for ONE game, there is no way that would be the case for an entire season.

Plus it's nostalgia.

The reason for the demise of the Expos was three things - ownership, dwindling crowds (10,000 fans was a good night), and the bad stadium. The league saw new revenues and a new stadium in DC and that was that.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived