Phillies Uniforms?

Phils Phan

7. The road uniform looks very dated with the over use of white trim.....It would look much more "classic" with reduced, or better yet eliminated white trim.

A lot of people complain about white trim on away uniforms (mostly when it comes to the Dodgers and Yankees). I think it looks good on all of them, including the Phillies. It compliments the white logo on all their hats, so it is not so out of place.

I'm with you on that one. I like the Yankees, White Sox, and Phillies road jerseys because of that. It might look likes it's from the 70s, but I think it looks really good.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like maroon for the Phils, but not powder blue. I don't mind the modern script style, but I do mind the numbers. I wish the road uniforms said Philadelphia.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As a Phillies fan, the number one thing I always wasn't crazy about was just how bright the red is... I wouldn't want them to go back to full maroon, but more of a crimson color I think would look really great...

I also agree the blue doesn't add much so id eliminate that, and the script and hat logo is a tad too bubbly/fat for me so I wouldn't mind reverting back to something a bit closer to the 50s style... never was much of a number/name font fan either so id go for more of a block look as boring as that sounds.... that being said I would still leave the number on the sleeve and pinstripes staying would be an obvious must.

Aside from font and the more crimson shade of red id keep the aways largely the same... personally I think they look great.... adding the Philadelphia full name would be an awful idea... it needs to stay Phillies.... same deal with the alts, maybe make the blue a slightly darker shade to match the crimson better... and continue to use them sparingly.. one thing I love about the Phil is they don't overuse that alt uniform.

USMNT-1.png

3. The current script is too "perfect". It's just too round on the top and bottom of the "h", and just doesn't have the organic feel of the 40s and 50s era.

This is my biggest gripe about the Phils' uniforms. Obviously they were designed sometime in 1991, so when they were released they were very new and very 90s (Ever seen this logo?)

xkecqemi5iy689xr9zgh.gif

That brings me to the font itself. I think they can simply update both that and the entire number set by "messing it up" a little bit. The white outline around the wordmark also doesn't work anymore. It's way too bold on the road and feels almost cheap. That's about all I really dislike though.

I think they're one of the most beautiful sets in baseball other than those things. From a distance, be it in the stands or on TV, they're great to watch play. I think the red looks perfect when combined with the blue, I love the little things like the blue squatchee on the hat or the sleeve numbers. The Liberty Bell on the socks too are another great little thing about it.

My only real complaint is the alternate. Don't get me wrong, I love it, and when they announced it I was very happy it wasn't just some red shirt (Although I wouldn't be against seeing them break one out on the road every now and then) But I don't like how they wear it exclusively for day games. I miss the red pinstripes out in the sun. I saw my first Phillies game with the team in the bright sun wearing those beautiful red pinstripes, and now they're relegated to night-only, and I think that harms them. I'd prefer it if they kept the cream & blue alternates to Sundays only.

As far as red & maroon is concerned, I could go either way. I think the Phils' jerseys are due for an upgrade in a few years, they're just about getting to "Twins territory" where they're about to age heavily. It has been over 20 years. In another 5 years I would like to see the Phillies update their uniforms. Be it an upgrade of this set, a return of maroon, or something new entirely. They've had a good look since the 1940s, I just don't want them to screw anything up. One thing that they must do though - Utilize the Liberty Bell more! It's such a great logo and a great landmark for Philadelphia, wearing it on the sock doesn't do them any good.

Phillies own the red pinstripes look, it's theirs. Whether it's bright red or maroon is up to them.

I personally would like to see them go back to the maroon look. The powder blue doesnt need to come with it, but if they can do an updated look to their 1908ish uni's and get rid of the thick piping on the home uni, similar to what the Mets have done to their current pinstripes they'd really have something .

Also I didnt hate the gray road look from the later 80's either.

top+100+_78+Von+Hayes.png

again, just ease up on the thick piping.,

Yeah BBTV I get that unis don't usually factor into liking a team, I guess as a huge logo/uni fanatic I just can't imagine cheering for a team who's uniforms I thought had that many flaws. But who knows, maybe someday the Phillies (no real worries about the Bears) will switch to one, and I don't plan on leaving over it.

Truth be told maroon isn't that nice of color, I mean it's not ugly but I dunno if I'd wanna be seeing it 162 times a year. I can understand fans of other teams wishing the Phils would switch to it to make the MLB more varied colorwise, but I only really care if my team looks good, not if they stand out all that much. As long as they aren't wearing a complete rip-off of another team.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

I like maroon for the Phils, but not powder blue. I don't mind the modern script style, but I do mind the numbers. I wish the road uniforms said Philadelphia.

haha ur dumb.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Obviously they were designed sometime in 1991, so when they were released they were very new and very 90s (Ever seen this logo?)

xkecqemi5iy689xr9zgh.gif

I know your post was rhetorical, but that logo is used on Phillies media (including Phillies.com) and appears on signage outside the stadium

Another long-time Phils fan here. The maroon and swirly P are great for throwback merchandise (and a lot of it has been selling over the past 5 years), but I don't want to see a return to it full time. It was already mentioned, but I miss seeing the red pinstripes during the daytime.

A long long time ago on this forum, I suggested a new red alternate jersey with the white "P" logo on the chest, white piping and the sock Liberty Bell logo on the left sleeve.....but the Nats and Reds pretty much stole that idea since then :P

werthx-large.jpgvotto2x-inset-community.jpg

Anyone else remember these batting practice jerseys in 1992 that were used in a real game?

5809634282_de82f2eecb.jpgKruk%2BUpper%2BDeck%2BF.jpg51iP9AwDrrL._SY300_.jpg

haha ur dumb.

not as dumb as you're mom

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think it was technically their primary logo, but I don't know how often it appeared in the stadium or on merch (not that merch was a big thing). FWIW, I have the Phil and Phillys bobblehead. It may even have been considered the primary logo when they won in 1980, not sure though. I think the stand alone P or just wordmark was used more often, regardless of designation.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Phillies own the red pinstripes look, it's theirs. Whether it's bright red or maroon is up to them.

I personally would like to see them go back to the maroon look. The powder blue doesnt need to come with it, but if they can do an updated look to their 1908ish uni's and get rid of the thick piping on the home uni, similar to what the Mets have done to their current pinstripes they'd really have something .

Also I didnt hate the gray road look from the later 80's either.

top+100+_78+Von+Hayes.png

again, just ease up on the thick piping.,

Disagree, racing stripes are great.

Von Hayes and "hall of fame" should never appear in the same sentence, unless that sentence is something like "the only way Von Hayes will see the Hall of Fame is if he buys a ticket and takes a tour."

Anyone else remember these batting practice jerseys in 1992 that were used in a real game?

5809634282_de82f2eecb.jpgKruk%2BUpper%2BDeck%2BF.jpg51iP9AwDrrL._SY300_.jpg

Not saying you're wrong, but a lot of photos from that 1993 UD set were taken in 1993 spring training. Most of the Rockies and Marlins players were in ST unis.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived