NFL Uniform Codes and Violations poster

I thought this might be of some interest to the community here. These are pictures of two posters that get hung on gameday in every NFL locker room. Spelling out, in amazingly minute detail, every rule and violation involved in the wearing of a profession football uniform. I guess this is what the players are supposed to be looking at when getting dressed.

IMG_1827_zps9fcf77ef.jpg

IMG_1828_zpse37f26b0.jpg

IMG_1829_zps6d649db1.jpg

IMG_1830_zps8a84386b.jpg

IMG_1831_zps471854a8.jpg

IMG_1832_zps83cdc784.jpg

IMG_1834_zps5775fb0a.jpg

IMG_1833_zps15c6d4fa.jpg

IMG_1835_zpsc9a57a03.jpg

I'm sure to a lot of people these are a pretty damning example of the "No Fun League" in action, but I disagree. I wish baseball and college football (for instance) were equally exacting, personally. In fact, my only wish would be that the NFL were a little more hardcore in enforcing these rules. I see the sock rules, especially, get broken constantly.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I don't agree with is the bandannas, doorags, and such. Cam Newton wears that headband and I haven't ever heard of the NFL fining him. The fact that guys aren't allowed to wear those kind of things is incredibly stupid. I have no problem with a guy wearing head wear like that.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

90% of these rules are BS. The NFL is going downhill. Rules like this are going to eventually add up and start costing the NFL. Nobody likes to see uniformness to that extent. Individuality will be lost, a key component in why american football is so succesful here.

90% of these rules are BS. The NFL is going downhill. Rules like this are going to eventually add up and start costing the NFL. Nobody likes to see uniformness to that extent. Individuality will be lost, a key component in why american football is so succesful here.

They've had posters like this in NFL lockerrooms for DECADES.

PvO6ZWJ.png

IMG_1828_zpse37f26b0.jpg

I recently went on a tour of Paul Brown Stadium and they took us through the Bengals locker room. On this poster in the Bengals locker room someone had taken a sharpie to the bandana player and wrote #58 on the bandana. I thought it was funny because it is so clearly using the Bengals' Rey Maualuga as the example.

PvO6ZWJ.png

While these rules do seem a little silly, you think the lack of variety is sock wear will be the downfall of the NFL?

I have to think that maintaining a consistent and professional (for the most part) image on the field has only helped with the perception of the league and merchandising. I think it would be viewed differently if you had slobs with their jerseys cut off and their bellies showing, or all wearing different socks, or other things that make it look like a group of individuals on a playground as opposed to a cohesive unit. They're called "uni forms" for a reason. I firmly believe that the on-field look has contributed a great deal to the NFL's success in the past 20 years or so (whenever they started the whole proline department and decided to focus more on merchandising and selling jerseys.

That being said, these are all broken all the time and I have to imagine that some rules just aren't enforced because nearly everyone is breaking several of these all the time.

For example - many players have their jerseys tailored in a way that they end at the top of the pants and have elastic there so that they look tucked but aren't. Heck - some of the Eagles actually had the jock tags (or whatever they're called) moved up so they'd be exposed (not sure the point of that.)

Also the socks rule - There are plenty of players who wear tights with white socks pulled up half way. Enough players do it so I have to think it's one of those things that gets let go.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

chris-hovan-armpits-00.jpg

chris-hovan-armpits-01.jpg

That was allowed to happen. Repeatedly. For years. How the league never cracked down on Chris Hovan for that mess will forever befuddle my comprehension.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

One thing I don't agree with is the bandannas, doorags, and such. Cam Newton wears that headband and I haven't ever heard of the NFL fining him. The fact that guys aren't allowed to wear those kind of things is incredibly stupid. I have no problem with a guy wearing head wear like that.

Buried in the wording is that little "unapproved" word. Most of the time Cam wears a headband that has the NFL equipment logo on it.

That was allowed to happen. Repeatedly. For years. How the league never cracked down on Chris Hovan for that mess will forever befuddle my comprehension.

Follows letter of the law if not the spirit. All his pads and protective equipment are covered

Personally, the headband/cap one is a bit silly. Some players who tend to have hair need it, others like a Cam Newton just wear it for personal preference, either way, it's not a big deal. I can agree with the socks, as you would want that type of stuff to match. But the knee area one, I disagree with, some players may need that for a certain comfort. (I do realize it's a rule for safety)

All I'm saying is take pride in uniformity, but ease up just for the sake of players' comfort and preference.

Speaking of Ray Lewis, remember that facemask he wore in the last season of his career?

It's now banned http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000362461/article/nfl-prohibiting-nonstandard-facemasks

I think that's a good move for the league.

Are you f-ing kidding me? This is an idiotic move, "the added weight of the masks negatively affects the structure of the helmet, can cause neck fatigue" - really? Its a matter of ounces here. Simply over protection for the NFL, who is now absolutely terrified of head injuries. As stupid as the "same helmet all season rule".

Speaking of Ray Lewis, remember that facemask he wore in the last season of his career?

It's now banned http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000362461/article/nfl-prohibiting-nonstandard-facemasks

Are you f-ing kidding me? This is an idiotic move, "the added weight of the masks negatively affects the structure of the helmet, can cause neck fatigue" - really? Its a matter of ounces here. Simply over protection for the NFL, who is now absolutely terrified of head injuries. As stupid as the "same helmet all season rule".

Still, those facemasks look stupid. The only reason people get them, other than stupid injury reasons, is to look more badass. Which they do not.

Over-protection? From an organization that just doled out $765 million in payments to ex-players last year due to concussions?

What exactly did you expect? Did you really...seriously...think that the NFL was going to keep coming out behind in all these lawsuits? Where is your bridge? How much can I give you for it?

Archived