Teams that have looked terrible for their entire history

damnyoutuesday

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My pick would be the Buccaneers. As I mentioned in my NFL redesign, they've never had a good uniform.

As a fan of bright colors in sports, I want to like the Creamsicles, but I really don't like them that much. When they switched from orange numbers to red numbers on the road, they looked almost exactly like the Chiefs from the neck down. Bucco Bruce is the type of logo you'd expect a chintzy dive bar to use, not a professional sports franchise.

The 1997 uniforms are extremely overrated. Despite using both a bright shade of orange and one of the most unique colors in sports (metallic pewter), they still completely failed to design a uniform that stood out in any meaningful way. Just like how the Eagles watered down their unique midnight green color with redundant black and charcoal trim, the Bucs did the same by using pewter AND black. If that wasn't bad enough, they left pewter off the jerseys entirely.

While I like the updated logos and increased use of pewter from the current uniforms, the number font is a disaster, I don't like the jersey design anymore, and they actually made the color distribution problems WORSE by pointlessly adding a fifth color (silver).

The Bucs should have a badass identity, but they've managed to screw it up every single time. They need to pare down their color scheme to just pewter, orange and red, and only use red extremely sparingly as a trim color - then go from there.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Sharks, Senators, Blue Jackets

Sharks?

What's bad about the Sharks look?

It was fine until 2007. Then they added front numbers and had a sleeve stripe/hem stripe fiasco, not to mention the dumb full-body shark shoulder patch.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Rockies: They've stuck to one general look, but black and purple is hard to pull off. (and the "CR" hat logo is awful)

And since the Diamondbacks switched, they could own purple in baseball, which doesn't even have so much as a purple and white team.

My pick would be the Buccaneers. As I mentioned in my NFL redesign, they've never had a good uniform.

As a fan of bright colors in sports, I want to like the Creamsicles, but I really don't like them that much. When they switched from orange numbers to red numbers on the road, they looked almost exactly like the Chiefs from the neck down. Bucco Bruce is the type of logo you'd expect a chintzy dive bar to use, not a professional sports franchise.

Interesting... your descriptions actually make me like the creamsicles more. Chintzy 70s dive bar works for central/western Florida.

It's hard to come up with teams that have always looked terrible. It's hard to manage both: so hard that most of the people in the thread have failed to do so, saying "well, they've never looked that great" or "they were fine until ____," which fails the premise of the thread.

So with that in mind, Rockies, Ducks, Ravens, Diamondbacks. Always bad to me. Also not coincidental that all four teams are '90s expansions; franchises that have been around for a long time have always had the chance to at least look adequate.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Bobcats.

What, you don't like pinstripes with a checkered flag pattern?

14-bobcats-racer.jpg

Kidding, to me this is one of the most obvious picks for this thread.

The Bills

I realize this is your first ever post, but you're gonna tell me these look terrible?

leodis-mcKelvin.opnh-4580-mid.jpgera

Match the helmet and pants stripes and you've got what the Bills should always wear for me.

Now, I'll give you that the J.P. Losman/Willis McGahee-era Bills was one of the most terrible-looking eras in U.S. pro sports history:

11.jpg

Speaking of those two looks, what a shame that this matchup (from the 2010 AFL series Bills-Patriots game):

ba644be7d31f1a778dee11d221fe2798-getty-8

eventually morphed into this start of the 21st century monstrosity:

J.P._Losman_tackled_in_the_end_zone_by_T

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Sharks, Senators, Blue Jackets

Sharks?

What's bad about the Sharks look?

It was fine until 2007. Then they added front numbers and had a sleeve stripe/hem stripe fiasco, not to mention the dumb full-body shark shoulder patch.

Well then they haven't always looked terrible as the thread suggests.

I'll be that guy: the San Diego Padres.

While I do personally wish to see them back in brown someday, not one of their myriad of looks over their existence has ever looked particularly remarkable to me.

I agree on their brown looks. I'm a Pads fan but none of them strike me as particularly great. That changed when they went to blue in '91. At the time the blue and orange was fairly unique and the particular look they went with was solid.

Someone said Phoenix Suns ? I would say Barkley era uniforms (all 3 versions: white, purple, black) are top 5 NBA unis all-time !

To each their own, but those always looked terrible to me. I especially hated the shorts and that part of the number was often obscured when tucked in.

0faea488a1de720edf40d3ea4e70f160.jpg

dan%20majerle%209%20sun%20jersey.jpg

Why am I the only out there that really likes the Ravens look, especially the purple jerseys with the cool looking numerical font?.

You're not the only one! I've always really liked the Ravens identity. When they stay away from the black pants, I feel like they're one of the better looking teams in football.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Tampa Bay Lightning, Minnesota Wild and the Anaheim Ducks/Mighty Ducks. Since coming into the league neither one has had a good looking uniform/logo package.

I think the pre-black and orange primaries were the one of the best looks in the league. It was different (at the time) without being too gaudy.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Why am I the only out there that really likes the Ravens look, especially the purple jerseys with the cool looking numerical font?.

You're not the only one! I've always really liked the Ravens identity. When they stay away from the black pants, I feel like they're one of the better looking teams in football.

Count me in too--sort of. Granted, purple and black ain't the easiest ccolorway to work with, but the problem with the Ravens' set isn't the homes...it's the roads, chiefly because of that ginormous black dropshadow. If they eliminated that and just kept it to a black outline--and possibly swapped the black and gold around to where the gold is the outermost trim--it'd probably help things. It'd also help if they replicated the helmet stripes on the black pants--or even tried a white/purple/white braisher on the pants. Or just kept it to white over white on the road.

Nashville. Sorry preds. Your current apron jerseys are an improvement, but still far from good.

Yeah that's about where I'm at. I'm cool with them "owning" the yellow-at-home thing (which is opening the door for some serious merchandising $$$ the minute they release a navy alt--and I have no reason to think one isn't in the works), and I also like that they streamlined their colorway. But certain little details such as the "NASHVILLE" across the back of the collar, and the thinness of the numbers--and even the form of those numbers bug me a bit but I can see where they come from--get to me. The "fang-stripe" thing doesn't bug me too much, but it probably also isn't necessary.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived