the admiral

NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

45 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

I forget just which company ran these ads, but last season, there was a company that ran commercials on Sportsnet that had the slogan "the 5th season", obviously hockey being that "5th" season, and I wanted to shoot myself after hearing those ads multiple times over during games. 

Scotiabank and yes it was nauseating. Thanks for bringing me back to that dark and terrible place.

3 hours ago, FGM13 said:

I mean, looking at the guy, does it really come as a surprise?IMG_3965.JPG.ab72ed2d897fc81da017aa938d57ec0d.JPG

He's got a 70s/early 80s Billy Joel vibe to him.

7 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

I forget just which company ran these ads, but last season, there was a company that ran commercials on Sportsnet that had the slogan "the 5th season", obviously hockey being that "5th" season, and I wanted to shoot myself after hearing those ads multiple times over during games. 

It took me an embarrassingly long time to understand that it didn't mean a player's 5th season of hockey.

I am currently writing a paper about NHL participation in the Olympics. I don't really need advice or tips about how to write it, but what I really would like is just some discussion generated and to hear what other people think about long term effects (if you think they'll be any) of the NHL not going to the Olympics next year, and possibly the next Winter Olympic year.

While I disagree about the NHL players not participating, I don't think it's as bad as some people are making it out to be. I mean, the USA's greatest hockey moments have come without professionals playing. While it does affect the viewership, in that there will be no superstars (which is probably why most Americans tune in), there still might be an opportunity to "grow the game" with more exciting games. USA has been doing quite well as of late, and for a country like the US, which doesn't have a whole lot of interest in hockey, going with amatuer players and probably a better storyline, could help get more people introduced into the sport, and want to play. 

Those are just some positives... Negatively, 

People would probably stop watching, because they don't care that John Doe is leading the US in scoring and not Patrick Kane. They also probably wouldn't care how well Canada's doing, because their current points leader is Billy Bob, not Sidney Crosby, and the best goalie is Albert Francois not Carey Price... Superstars draw in crazy attendance, so other than the hockey community, not many people are going to tune in... We might miss the next Modano because his parents didn't bother to tune in to Olympic hockey with a bunch of scrubs... 

There's a lot of variables and factors that could have an affect on Hockey in the long run, because of this... What are some of your opinions on this? 

7 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

I am currently writing a paper about NHL participation in the Olympics. I don't really need advice or tips about how to write it, but what I really would like is just some discussion generated and to hear what other people think about long term effects (if you think they'll be any) of the NHL not going to the Olympics next year, and possibly the next Winter Olympic year.

While I disagree about the NHL players not participating, I don't think it's as bad as some people are making it out to be. I mean, the USA's greatest hockey moments have come without professionals playing. While it does affect the viewership, in that there will be no superstars (which is probably why most Americans tune in), there still might be an opportunity to "grow the game" with more exciting games. USA has been doing quite well as of late, and for a country like the US, which doesn't have a whole lot of interest in hockey, going with amatuer players and probably a better storyline, could help get more people introduced into the sport, and want to play. 

Those are just some positives... Negatively, 

People would probably stop watching, because they don't care that John Doe is leading the US in scoring and not Patrick Kane. They also probably wouldn't care how well Canada's doing, because their current points leader is Billy Bob, not Sidney Crosby, and the best goalie is Albert Francois not Carey Price... Superstars draw in crazy attendance, so other than the hockey community, not many people are going to tune in... We might miss the next Modano because his parents didn't bother to tune in to Olympic hockey with a bunch of scrubs... 

There's a lot of variables and factors that could have an affect on Hockey in the long run, because of this... What are some of your opinions on this? 

Moved this here. We've already had pages of discussion on that topic in this thread.

I really hope the discussion about the NHL wanting back in for 2022 in China is just speculation, and not the NHL's actual business plan.  SOUTH KOREA IS RIGHT F'ING NEXT TO CHINA.  I think some Chinese people might take an interest in the 2018 Winter Games, since 1) It's close by 2) their country gets the Winter Games next 3) the Chinese gov't is trying to get everyone interested in the winter sports ahead of 2022.

On 4/11/2017 at 11:25 PM, the admiral said:

In China, do game misconducts get you a bullet in the back of your head?

Would certainly solve the issues with some of these players in the NHL.

On 4/11/2017 at 9:36 PM, Cosmic said:

I really hope the discussion about the NHL wanting back in for 2022 in China is just speculation, and not the NHL's actual business plan.  SOUTH KOREA IS RIGHT F'ING NEXT TO CHINA.  I think some Chinese people might take an interest in the 2018 Winter Games, since 1) It's close by 2) their country gets the Winter Games next 3) the Chinese gov't is trying to get everyone interested in the winter sports ahead of 2022.

NHL tried the exact same thing with Japan and trying to expand the interest in hockey. Failed miserably. Also, IOC said they wouldn't allow NHL to go to China if they turned down South Korea. Also, you must not know much about China and South Korea or you would know they have some serious historical issues with each other. China will also never be a hockey country no matter what the NHL does, but the NHL is only interested in China because Chinese investors are paying the NHL.

This entire new obsession with China is pretty ridiculous and pointless.

I've spent a few weeks in both China and South Korea.  I absolutely do not see hockey gaining a foothold in China.  I know that there's still some russian influence there and I did see ads for hockey matches, but from talking with Chinese people and making my own observaions, even in the areas that tend to be more western, it's just never going to be a thing.  Interestingly, they seem to have a fondness for European soccer.

Korea is a different story.  At least Seoul (I never made it to Busan, which was the only other city I had planned to see) is extremely western.  Possibly due to the US military influence, or possibly just due to "it's cool" (like in parts of Japan.)  I could definitely see hockey becoming at least a niche sport there (if it's not already.)  It'll never be as big there as it is in North America, but it could become similar (yet still smaller) to soccer in the US - a relatively small but passionate fanbase, at least a portion of which follows the sport not because of the actual sport itself, but more what it represents.

21 hours ago, Solaris said:

Also, you must not know much about China and South Korea or you would know they have some serious historical issues with each other.

What does that have to do with hockey though?  Up until Beijing's KHL franchise, the highest level of hockey in China was played in Asia League Ice Hockey with South Korean and Japanese teams.

On 4/14/2017 at 8:02 PM, Solaris said:

Also, you must not know much about China and South Korea or you would know they have some serious historical issues with each other.

As someone who lived there, and speaks the language, not really. Most South Koreans are pretty ambivalent towards China. They hate Japan, collectively, way more.

Yeah, China and S. Korea have been pretty chill since the 90s, when both realised that they had a lot to gain via trade deals. 

And all in all? Chinese-Korean history isn't all that turbulent. Korea, for the longest time, considered itself an ally of Imperial China. Korean as a language evolved from Chinese, and the Korean king who introduced Korean-specific characters for the Korean language was controversial because a lot of Koreans saw it as a spit in the face of the Chinese. Who the Koreans saw as a benevolent older brother. 

There's a history of conflict, yeah, but Korean/Chinese history has, big picture-wise, been mostly ambivalent/friendly. 

It's the Japanese they both have a grudge with, what with the whole "enslave the rest of East Asia" thing Japan had going for forty or so years.

12 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I've spent a few weeks in both China and South Korea.  I absolutely do not see hockey gaining a foothold in China.  I know that there's still some russian influence there and I did see ads for hockey matches, but from talking with Chinese people and making my own observaions, even in the areas that tend to be more western, it's just never going to be a thing.  Interestingly, they seem to have a fondness for European soccer.

Korea is a different story.  At least Seoul (I never made it to Busan, which was the only other city I had planned to see) is extremely western.  Possibly due to the US military influence, or possibly just due to "it's cool" (like in parts of Japan.)  I could definitely see hockey becoming at least a niche sport there (if it's not already.)  It'll never be as big there as it is in North America, but it could become similar (yet still smaller) to soccer in the US - a relatively small but passionate fanbase, at least a portion of which follows the sport not because of the actual sport itself, but more what it represents.

Yes, yes, but never underestimate the NHL's willingness to overlook a small but profitable market to chase a large, uninterested market. 

This league is dumb.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Yes, yes, but never underestimate the NHL's willingness to overlook a small but profitable market to chase a large, uninterested market. 

This league is dumb.

It all makes perfect sense now.

The NHL skipping the Olympics doesn't matter in the slightest. Going to the Olympics has produced zero tangible growth in the NHL, and if it was so important to the players that they get to go, they would have negotiated for it. In the end, even the Russian guys talking tough are not going to go and life will go on and no one will care and the game between under 20s at 7 am ET are going to be watched by no one in 2018.

3 hours ago, ElwoodCuse said:

The NHL skipping the Olympics doesn't matter in the slightest. Going to the Olympics has produced zero tangible growth in the NHL, and if it was so important to the players that they get to go, they would have negotiated for it. In the end, even the Russian guys talking tough are not going to go and life will go on and no one will care and the game between under 20s at 7 am ET are going to be watched by no one in 2018.

I think Alex Ovechkin will go.  He already has a ton of money.  If the Capitals cancel his contract (unlikely), he'll play in the KHL and probably make even more.

6 hours ago, ElwoodCuse said:

Going to the Olympics has produced zero tangible growth in the NHL...

If that were true than why is the NHL trying to get in on the Beijing games? If the Olympics mean nothing re: NHL growth then surely the Beijing Winter Olympics wouldn't mean anything re: their growth in China.

Mike, you can't use logic. The NHL's intentions and how they view the two markets are crystal clear even if they refuse to admit or even refute them. 

They see Korea as providing virtually nil while China has the largest population in the world and chief rival, the KHL, is already making inroads. The nation as a whole has a hunger for sports and is getting more and more into western/team sports. It has very little established hockey culture and the NHL basically want to indoctrinate them.

6 minutes ago, webdav said:

They came really close to getting the Penguins once upon a time. And rumor has it they almost got the Coyotes in 2013. I would love to see teams in both of those cities.

Heh. Hockey in Arizona has become an unmitigated disaster. 

On 4/19/2017 at 4:56 PM, Ice_Cap said:

Heh. Hockey in Arizona has become an unmitigated disaster. 

While I would say the Coyotes are a complete mess. I wouldn't say hockey in Arizona is a complete disaster. Between the fact that Auston Matthews became a star in Arizona, ASU becoming a pretty good hockey program in the NCAA and former National Champion of the lower rung of college hockey, and high school hockey is becoming a big deal. I would say that Arizona has become a growing state for hockey. Granted the Arizona Coyotes is useless, doesn't mean that Arizona is a disaster. I would say that it is growing up as a state that appreciates hockey. Definitely a lot different from 20 years ago when it was non existent. 

Arizona Hockey in General > Arizona Coyotes 

Not really anything we didn't know, but Bettman confirms the Isles are going to put in a bid for the Belmont site