MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/18/2017 at 1:01 PM, daveindc said:

I never understood why they went with purple to begin with when a team in their own division already wears it. It wasn't unique at all. It just looked like they just lazily threw two trending colors together. The Sedona red and teal makes them unique and they totally own both colors at the moment. I wish people would just forget about the purple.

750px-Flag_of_Phoenix,_Arizona.svg.png 0312-13.1L.jpg?19

Not that sedona doesn't fit too.  Honestly, I love that color scheme too.  I find it hard to decide which scheme is better.  I wish they would have gone with Sedona Red/Purple/Turquoise instead of the current Scarlet/Black/Soap.

On 1/19/2017 at 3:43 PM, LMU said:

IMG_1962.JPG

"Hit... ME!!!  Hit... ME!!!"

On 1/19/2017 at 5:39 PM, phutmasterflex said:

The easier way to do this is to take out your brother from the sentence to see which is the correct word to use. "I got myself the light blue Rays caps..." is the correct way to say it. "I got I the light blue Rays caps..." is incorrect. By this, you know myself (or if you want to use me) is the correct word to use. When you do this, you can tell which is the correct word to use. 

"We got some friggin' caps."

On 1/19/2017 at 8:14 PM, LMU said:

Bagwell looks like Kevin Millar's twin in that picture.

I thought he looked like a bulkier Tyler Clippard.

Arizona+Diamondbacks+Photo+Day+OsEJR7hNt

On 1/19/2017 at 0:32 AM, Scoo8b said:

Don't the Blue Jays usually wear red on Canada Day? Maybe it's an unpopular opinion but I always liked those.

On 1/20/2017 at 8:45 AM, jp1409 said:

Monochrome logo? Holy :censored:. These would be ugly for a one off, now imagine every Sunday...

blue_jays_alternate_jersey.jpg

On 1/20/2017 at 0:53 PM, 8BW14 said:

It's s one thing to wear predominately black uniforms with blue accents as the BLUE JAYS, but the red jerseys and hats with a red bird on them are just silly.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new red jerseys and hats are mothballed after this season.

The Blue Jays have been switching up their Canada Day jerseys almost every year, much like the Stars and Stripes.  

Toronto-Blue-Jays-Canada-Day-Uniform-201B-9cKeKVEAA3pTI.jpg

blue_jays-2.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=6

RA-Dickey-Toronto-Blue-Jays-Canada-Day-J

I'm unsure why people are hitting this so hard.  It's nothing new.  There are plenty of issues, but when you make changes every year just to have something unique, everything is going to eventually change.  I personally find the white with red lettering to be my favorite version, and wish they went with it this year, but they didn't.  They probably want to really hit the Canadianness because of the anniversary.

The monochrome bird looks fairly bad in that picture, but I don't think that's an actual photograph of an actual uniform.  I don't know if it's a photoshop or a prototype, but the logo on the uniform is three-dimensional, whereas that one is flat and looks like it was screen-printed on a t-shirt.  It will look better with the differences in shade that the three-dimensional qualities of it bring.

As for doing it at all, I think this anniversary is important enough to the country's culture for the team to do something drastic like this to celebrate it.  It's a one-year thing.  The team's kind of in special territory, being the sole representative of their nation in the league.  And if the Expos still existed, I wouldn't expect it to be any different, Montreal doing its own version with possibly more of a blue tint to things.  As for Toronto focusing on Canadian imagery despite there being so much more to the country, this is a common thing.  Toronto is almost always the first Canadian city to enter a league, and therefore tend to hit their identity as the only Canadian team hard.  Look at Toronto F.C., who are now one of three Canadian MLS teams.  Even if there are two, the second is usually Montreal, who lean on the Fleur De Lys as opposed to the Maple Leaf.

I'm not sure the veracity of this, although I'd definitely love to see someone with more knowledge confirm if this is true or not.

On 1/21/2017 at 11:12 PM, 2001mark said:

I think there was a fad with the black caps, yet that faded quickly thank gawd.

Ugh.  Someone tell the Marlins, Rockies, and Diamondbacks.

15 hours ago, jp1409 said:

Holy :censored:. How many goddamn hats do these guys need? They're exactly like the Jays, a top 5 set watered down with useless and ugly alts... I have no problem with the blue home jersey (I even own one) but the classic hat shouldn't be messed with.

I hope beyond all hope they distill the hats for the blue alt into this and ditch the silver.

38 minutes ago, TVIXX said:

image.jpg

Why is it that the team whose primary logo is the perfect chest logo and doesn't feature as such on any of their in-game uniforms is the team that decided to go with the script across the chest instead?  If anyone should have gone script instead of logo, it should have been St. Louis or Chicago (with the SOX stripe instead of the batterman).  Also, what's with the double Cleveland unis?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Regarding the red jersey, my issue with it is that it is a regular alternate uniform, not a one-off special uniform. It's not being worn only on Canada Day or other holidays. If they wanted a red jersey, fine but at least use a freaking blue jay not red. Also it would have been less bad but still not good if they would have used the blue hat with the red maple leaf with this uniform. 

I just think it was poorly designed, but I understand the reasoning behind the uniform itself.

One thing I do like about the Canada jerseys no matter what else is said about its faults... I love the red undershirts. The pics posted above of them using red jerseys with their regular blue undershirts batting gloves and other accessories are such a clash. It looks like a mistake. I can deal with the blue caps but not the blue undershirts. 

2 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

Regarding the red jersey, my issue with it is that it is a regular alternate uniform, not a one-off special uniform. It's not being worn only on Canada Day or other holidays. If they wanted a red jersey, fine but at least use a freaking blue jay not red. Also it would have been less bad but still not good if they would have used the blue hat with the red maple leaf with this uniform. 

I just think it was poorly designed, but I understand the reasoning behind the uniform itself.

That's what happens when you write a long post with occasional breaks.  You go back and don't quite remember what you were saying, leaving things out.  The reason I'd originally brought up the annual change (which I'd forgotten by the time I finished writing it), was that the red bird is just another change they made to mix things up.  It just so happens that this year they tried a red bird.  When you've got only so many things to switch each year, you eventually hit everything.  It just so happens Canada turns 150 on the red bird year.  Again, it's not my favorite version, but we'll see how it looks.

I wonder if there would have been this much kerfuffle if it was just a Canada Day jersey.

spacer.png

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Ugh.  Someone tell the Marlins, Rockies, and Diamondbacks.

Really?  I was literally pointing the fact out for the Toronto Blue Jays' black caps.  Plain & simply, they were stupid.  They're a blue & white branded team.  Period.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

42 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I wonder if there would have been this much kerfuffle if it was just a Canada Day jersey.

I highly doubt it, given that the Canada Day jersey barely makes a splash outside of the Jays' fanbase (and probably even within it). But the standards become much higher when you're dealing with an alternate that is going to be in the team's regular rotation.

If they wanted to sell more red jerseys while commemorating the 150th anniversary, they could've just added a "Canada 150" patch to the existing red jerseys, and announced they'd be worn every Sunday at home. I would bet that those jerseys would've sold just as well, given their newfound status as permanent alts, and given the special patch. Changing the bird to red isn't going to drive any sales, I don't think.

2 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

Really?  I was literally pointing the fact out for the Toronto Blue Jays' black caps.  Plain & simply, they were stupid.  They're a blue & white branded team.  Period.

Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with you in any way.  I was decrying those three teams continuing to employ black.  The Orioles, White Sox, Giants, and Pirates are teams which (despite people often commenting on the Orioles beign an orange-first team) are in my mind black-first teams.  The Rockies, Marlins, and Diamondbacks have turned in colorful caps and identities for a lot of black in efforts to look cooler or "more respectable".  I wish someone would give them the memo that it's not hip anymore.

Although I do disagree on your last point.  I think red is a tertiary color for them.

Just now, kroywen said:

If they wanted to sell more red jerseys while commemorating the 150th anniversary, they could've just added a "Canada 150" patch to the existing red jerseys, and announced they'd be worn every Sunday at home. I would bet that those jerseys would've sold just as well, given their newfound status as permanent alts, and given the special patch. Changing the bird to red isn't going to drive any sales, I don't think.

That's the thing, though.  That's what they did.  The Canada Day jersey changes every year, so if this was year 149, it's more than likely that they'd just come out wearing these same jerseys for that one day.  It's not like they were going to keep the last jersey.  They haven't kept it in the last decade at least.

spacer.png

spacer.png

49 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

That's the thing, though.  That's what they did.  The Canada Day jersey changes every year, so if this was year 149, it's more than likely that they'd just come out wearing these same jerseys for that one day.  It's not like they were going to keep the last jersey.  They haven't kept it in the last decade at least.

But if they're going to make it a full-time alternate, unlike in years past, there is a certain expectation that it will be in line with the Blue Jays' usual identity and color scheme. This jersey is not.

The majority of the Canada Day jerseys have been fairly ugly. Most people haven't cared all that much, since they're just single-day one-off jerseys that will never be worn again. When it becomes a full-time alternate though, you can't just say "well, this would've been the next throwaway one-off design in line" and call it a day.

1 hour ago, kroywen said:

But if they're going to make it a full-time alternate, unlike in years past, there is a certain expectation that it will be in line with the Blue Jays' usual identity and color scheme. This jersey is not.

The majority of the Canada Day jerseys have been fairly ugly. Most people haven't cared all that much, since they're just single-day one-off jerseys that will never be worn again. When it becomes a full-time alternate though, you can't just say "well, this would've been the next throwaway one-off design in line" and call it a day.

Now that's something I can agree to.  Not the ugly part.  I actually like a number of the one-offs.  But the fact that they should have added a little something.

spacer.png

spacer.png

19 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

So, armpit panels are still a thing?

Not for the Giants, apparently.

I do know that a lot of players instead of wearing full-on jerseys have been wearing the sweaters the league makes, with the small logo under the neck in a stitched shape similar to a home plate.  Could this be a replacement for those?

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Padres owner did a local podcast in San Diego, ostensibly to talk about the team's plans in a post-Chargers world but the uniforms came up and he made two interesting comments: that the team gets more requests for the RWB PCL jerseys than they do for brown (which is a claim that the last ownership group made as well) and he seemed to imply that they're going to look again once the team's rebuild is over. The latter comment was pretty vague but it's at least possible to infer that he's saying that the current jerseys are just placeholder.

So classic Padres management but at least we have another chance to be disappointed in a couple of years.

6 minutes ago, VikWings said:

Mets dropping the orange brim makes that hat complete pointless. Who's gonna buy that one just for the white outline? Should have just dropped the hat entirely.

I also hate the unnecessary grey logo/font hat/alt.

The same kind of people who buy the stupid Pirates alt hat...

Archived