NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new wordmarks are lame and generic, but I really dislike the NBA's push to have seemingly every logo include a basketball and/or be within a roundel, so the move away from that is a plus.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

23 hours ago, Shumway said:

Suns vs. Hornets game last night was pretty.

Defense.jpg

This is a gorgeous match up, but it's not era appropriate. That's always bugged me when both teams wear throwbacks. That's one thing I really appreciate that baseball does -- most of the times when the A's march out in the 1970's gold jerseys their opponent wear their 1970s jerseys too. The NBA needs more of that. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 3/11/2018 at 8:53 AM, insert name said:

NBA: National Boring Association. 

"I've got it!  Let's go from a logo, now hear me out, to...a wordmark!"

"Carl, that idea sucks ass."

"But think of it, gentlemen!  We only use 1 color per conference, which saves us roughly 80 cents a shirt/hat/sticker, and with those profits we can - "

"- why we could gild our yachts!"

"YES!  Now you see, gentlemen!"

"My God, Carl.  Think of the quality of prostitutes and cocaine we could procure with all this new income."

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

9 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

Somebody has to have a copy of this logo somewhere, right?

@Conrad covered it back in September.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I don't know where to put this, but I'm watching primetime sports, which is a radio/TV on Sportsnet in Canada.  There were 3 bids and had another group won, they would have been named the Thunder, according to former MLSE CEO Richard Peddie.  Anyone thinks that would have been a better name for the team?

51 minutes ago, M4One said:

I don't know where to put this, but I'm watching primetime sports, which is a radio/TV on Sportsnet in Canada.  There were 3 bids and had another group won, they would have been named the Thunder, according to former MLSE CEO Richard Peddie.  Anyone thinks that would have been a better name for the team?

We're talking about what exactly ... ???

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

54 minutes ago, kimball said:

We're talking about what exactly ... ???

When the NBA expanded to Toronto and Vancouver, there were apparently 3 bids for Toronto.  One was the eventually winner and the Raptors were born.  One of the other bids was headed by Larry Tanaenbaum.  Richard Peddie, worked for Tanaenbaum on the bid.  He was on radio today talking a little about how had their bid won, the team would have been called the Thunder.

Eventually, Tanaenbaum had bought a piece of Maple Leaf Gardens Ltd, which eventually became MLSE when they bought the Raptors and Peddie became the CEO.  

My question, would the Thunder have been a better name for the Raptors.

25 minutes ago, M4One said:

When the NBA expanded to Toronto and Vancouver, there were apparently 3 bids for Toronto.  One was the eventually winner and the Raptors were born.  One of the other bids was headed by Larry Tanaenbaum.  Richard Peddie, worked for Tanaenbaum on the bid.  He was on radio today talking a little about how had their bid won, the team would have been called the Thunder.

Eventually, Tanaenbaum had bought a piece of Maple Leaf Gardens Ltd, which eventually became MLSE when they bought the Raptors and Peddie became the CEO.  

My question, would the Thunder have been a better name for the Raptors.

Oooooooh, gotcha. 

This might be better in another (or new) thread, but short answer IMO ... no. I like the plural sports names #SaysTheJazzFan

kimball banner.png

On 11.3.2018 at 3:53 PM, insert name said:

A missed opportunity to use the NBA logo in single respective color (the way it isn't used anywhere else) along with the wordmarks after the 'Eastern' and 'Western' parts to have a pictorial element of some kind and still stay clean and sharp. Otherwise a needed change, the old ones were dated long ago.

39 minutes ago, truepg said:

A missed opportunity to use the NBA logo in single respective color (the way it isn't used anywhere else) along with the wordmarks after the 'Eastern' and 'Western' parts to have a pictorial element of some kind and still stay clean and sharp. Otherwise a needed change, the old ones were dated long ago.

That would make a lot of sense.
CA52hrm.png
01kjraJ.png

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

1 hour ago, j'villejags said:

That would make a lot of sense.

I would put it in the top row right after each conferences name in that negative patch of space and without the "NBA" wordmark, to not give it too much emphasis. But otherwise, yes.

8 minutes ago, truepg said:

I would put it in the top row right after each conferences name in that negative patch of space and without the "NBA" wordmark, to not give it too much emphasis. But otherwise, yes.

You know what, @j’villejags, I agree with what @truepg just said.

1 hour ago, truepg said:

This way:

g37emRD.png

aWKnQaN.png

Your way works too, though, @j'villejags

But the West Coast is the "left" coast and the East Coast is the "right" coast. Shouldn't the colors be swapped?

I'll see myself out.

Archived