NBA Changes 2017-18

On 5/29/2018 at 4:06 PM, pepis21 said:

The NBA now collaborating with Nike and Clipart

29 minutes ago, Cujo said:

The NBA now collaborating with Nike and Clipart

Oh.. That's why it looks like :censored:

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 5:43 PM, kimball said:

At least it will only be 4-5 games.

This is the only time I'll ever wish for the Finals to switch to single elimination or best-of-3.

22 hours ago, VikWings said:

Anyone see the draft hats? They’re awful. Random patches all over them for no reason. Reminds me of the jackets/hats from the early 2000s that had every teams logo on it.

Yikes on bikes

https://www.lids.com/nba-draft

hwl?set=sku%5B20989452%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B4hwl?set=sku%5B20989440%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B4hwl?set=sku%5B20989451%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B4hwl?set=sku%5B20989446%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B4

2 hours ago, TaylorMade said:

Yikes on bikes

hwl?set=sku%5B20989452%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B4hwl?set=sku%5B20989440%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B4hwl?set=sku%5B20989451%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B4hwl?set=sku%5B20989446%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B4

Corny now, corny then.

920x920.jpg

Also, short sleeve hoodies look terrible. I can only assume this will be the template for 18-19. Better than the hooded vests that were pushed in college football, I suppose.

In addition to the special Finals warmups, both teams are wearing new gold-accented socks:

elite-quick-finals-nba-crew-socks-SwfMfdelite-quick-finals-nba-crew-socks-SwfMfd

9 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

The Finals logo is back on the court, the one time where I really didn't want it on the court.

At least it’s on the sidelines, though, and not opposite the arena logos.

5 hours ago, TaylorMade said:

Yikes on bikes

Those things are ugly. So glad I don't have to sell the Cavs one anymore...

14 hours ago, TaylorMade said:

Yikes on bikes

oh good, a reason to highlight how awful some state and city flags are.

This is also remarkably inconsistent. Minnesota has its state flag, but Indiana has Indianapolis' flag? The Kings, Clippers, and Lakers all use California's flag?  Toronto is using the Canadian flag? If you're gonna do fun theming like that, at least be consistent!!!  if it's a city name, use the municipal flag.  if it's the state, use the state. This irks me in too many ways

Edit: So two hats are missing (MEM, DEN) so this isn't a complete listing of what's wrong, but 8 of the 28 teams with hats are using an incorrect flag

- Indiana and Utah are both using the city flags instead of their state flags

- Both Los Angeles teams, OKC, Phoenix, and Sacramento are using their state flags in lieu of the city flags

- As mentioned, Toronto is using the Canadian flag.

Some further research stumbled upon "City Flag" hats and the Nuggets do use Denver's flag, but Memphis uses Tennessee's flag. So likely that number is 9 of 30, or 30% of the hats are using a mismatched flag.

This is PHX or eHX?

w7zAHSD.jpg

The same problem is with Portland and Philadelphia.

Anyway, these caps are ugly, Reminds me of Punk culture, they're wearing random patches all over their clothes.

1 hour ago, Pharos04 said:

oh good, a reason to highlight how awful some state and city flags are.

This is also remarkably inconsistent. Minnesota has its state flag, but Indiana has Indianapolis' flag? The Kings, Clippers, and Lakers all use California's flag?  Toronto is using the Canadian flag? If you're gonna do fun theming like that, at least be consistent!!!  if it's a city name, use the municipal flag.  if it's the state, use the state. This irks me in too many ways

Edit: So two hats are missing (MEM, DEN) so this isn't a complete listing of what's wrong, but 8 of the 28 teams with hats are using an incorrect flag

- Indiana and Utah are both using the city flags instead of their state flags

- Both Los Angeles teams, OKC, Phoenix, and Sacramento are using their state flags in lieu of the city flags

- As mentioned, Toronto is using the Canadian flag.

Some further research stumbled upon "City Flag" hats and the Nuggets do use Denver's flag, but Memphis uses Tennessee's flag. So likely that number is 9 of 30, or 30% of the hats are using a mismatched flag.

My first thought was that they were using the flag associated with the area that is most widely-known or appreciated, which is why all the California teams use California's awesome flag. But that doesn't make sense for Indiana, because the state flag is a classic design (Indiana University uses it on a set of their football helmets), whereas Indianapolis's flag is relatively obscure. Likewise, for the Cavs, the Ohio state flag is relatively well-known, whereas the city of Cleveland's flag isn't, although at least in that case the team is named after the city.

So I'm left with the guess that the designers put very little effort into these and just slapped on whichever flag they found first on Google. At least that theory would fit with the designs of past draft hats...

51 minutes ago, whitedawg22 said:

My first thought was that they were using the flag associated with the area that is most widely-known or appreciated, which is why all the California teams use California's awesome flag. But that doesn't make sense for Indiana, because the state flag is a classic design (Indiana University uses it on a set of their football helmets), whereas Indianapolis's flag is relatively obscure. Likewise, for the Cavs, the Ohio state flag is relatively well-known, whereas the city of Cleveland's flag isn't, although at least in that case the team is named after the city.

So I'm left with the guess that the designers put very little effort into these and just slapped on whichever flag they found first on Google. At least that theory would fit with the designs of past draft hats...

You’re free to assume that, but a more realistic assumption is that the designer(s) set it up just as you thought, using the best flags or the flags most associated with the complete fan base, and the league or teams had them change it. There are also legal issues with using some flags on merchandise. Some of you guys act like designers are dimwits who know nothing about the things they design, and don’t do any research to complement. ?

I think the Indy flag works for the Pacers (It’s also more well known that you think and routinely makes the top ten in vexillology reviews). There are a lot of Bulls fans in NW Indiana and a lot of Celtics fans in the rural areas (though many of them are also Pacers fans given Larry Bird’s long association with the team).

Minnesota makes sense because using the Minneapolis flag wouldn’t have been fair to St. Paul.

LA has an interesting flag, but I think the California flag is more iconic, so I’m okay with that one.

the Cavs one absolutely should be the Ohio flag.

16 hours ago, TaylorMade said:

Yikes on bikes

Today's reminder that Milwaukee's city flag is so, so terrible.

2000px-Flag_of_Milwaukee,_Wisconsin.svg.

MKE, please make the People's Flag official already.

fndmhi0x5oc01.png

The Knicks have the NYC flag on their hat while the Nets have the Brooklyn borough flag. I do like that detail but that's the only praise I'm giving these hats.

They all look awful. Just too much going on. 

2 hours ago, insert name said:

The Knicks have the NYC flag on their hat while the Nets have the Brooklyn borough flag. I do like that detail...

[Tries to resist going off on another rant about why that SUCKS!!  Directs those who care about such things to another thread.]

I wonder if any players will take the pins off and put them on their lapel.

5 hours ago, TaylorMade said:

I wonder if any players will take the pins off and put them on their lapel.

They probably won’t be removable. Lids had a few hats out with these similar “pins”, and they’re all pop riveted onto the cap.