Samford Bulldogs unveiled new logos

Luke_Groundrunner

The Samford Bulldogs unveiled new logos on Friday Nov 11th.

Old Primary logo

h69853uj8967.png

New Primary logo

Sam_01.png

New Secondary logo

Sam_02 764.png

New Alternate (FB helmet) logo

Sam_03.png

The new logos have been added to the team's page on the mothership: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/824/Samford_Bulldogs/

I feel like the logo was originally head-only, and then the university decided they wanted the full body the day before the reveal. The rest of the body doesn't seem like it was handled with the same care that the head was IMO.

I've never been a fan of schools intentionally shortening their name - like Alabama to Bama. Seems derogatory to me. So I don't like the SAM or U-SAM logos, for that reason. I think the bulldog looks good, but it isn't nearly as "competitively distinctive" as the school claimed.

The university did put out an awesome 10-min video on the development of it all. Certainly worth your time to watch

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

12 hours ago, andycumbee19 said:

I wonder if this means the SU logo on the current helmets is bound for the dumpster.  

They wore the U Sam logo on Satuday.

Photo published for #18 Football Returns To Practice For ETSU

Edit: Holy :censored: I didn't realize how bad the sheer side panels on those pants were. I never want to see a guy's underwear (I know, compression shorts) on an athletic field

ojNNazQ.jpg

15 hours ago, Clintau24 said:

Edit: Holy :censored: I didn't realize how bad the sheer side panels on those pants were. I never want to see a guy's underwear (I know, compression shorts) on an athletic field

I know.  Absolutely horrible.  Saw em in Charleston 2 weeks ago.  Could not believe somebody actually signed off on those. 

As far as the decals go...  Is that a permanent switch?  This would be 3 different decal designs in 3 seasons. Pretty hefty number for a SoCon school 

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

Seeing the U Sam helmet, reminds me of UMass' helmet...

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

On 11/16/2016 at 7:33 PM, Cosmic said:

I feel like the logo was originally head-only, and then the university decided they wanted the full body the day before the reveal. The rest of the body doesn't seem like it was handled with the same care that the head was IMO.

By the time it gets to the feet, looks like a complete give up.   Those are terrible.  

The full body looks like it has a clean break area if they ever want to make a head only logo.  

I don't love "SAM" but I prefer the change overall.  The old logo was pretty standard "mean animal atop a wordmark."  Those are a dime a dozen (and I'm not a fan).

I actually like the new full-body logo.  I am not versed enough to talk about the angles, etc. but, though a couple of the feet look almost "abstract" to me...like they were designed by whoever designed the original Coyotes logo.  I like it in general, though the concept's better than the execution.

The still on the video does show that against a blue background, the dog's underside blends in with the background, which is an issue.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

21 hours ago, Clintau24 said:

The 2004 Charlotte Bobcats rumor mill has finally come true! CCSLC was 12 years ahead of its time...

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

42 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

The still on the video does show that against a blue background, the dog's underside blends in with the background, which is an issue.

It doesn't help that the school used low quality images for that still, and when they originally tweeted it out. Pixilated like crazy.

ojNNazQ.jpg

On 11/16/2016 at 7:33 PM, Cosmic said:

The head does look removable.

This is a really good logo for being created in MS Paint.

All kidding aside, the bulldog is fine, even if it is a little rough around the edges for my tastes. But whoever was responsible for layout and typography should be fired... there are two legs that are hardly balanced on letters beneath them. That's extremely poor design if you're going to do an "animal standing on wordmark" logo. 

I really like the proud pose of the bulldog as well as the heavy shading on the belly, but to me the whole thing is pretty rough around the edges as GFB said. The varying widths of blue around the tiny claws look sloppy, especially at a small scale. The white highlights look inconsistent to me because at times the white makes contact with the blue while in other places it leaves a useless thin sliver of gray between the blue and white, making the whole logo inconsistent.

I hate being a critic sometimes because this logo is so close and still a big improvement over what they had, but I don't get why the designer(s) didn't just spend another 20 minutes cleaning up the roughness before sending this off.

Archived