2017/18 Soccer Kits

UnclearInitial

16 minutes ago, Nyk33 said:

Leaked 2017 NYCFC Primary

Embedded image

I think replacing the white with navy blue was a good move as well as adding the orange to create some separation from Sporting KC. 

That's pretty nice, although it does look a bit simplistic. This might be the replica version, though, so if that's the case then hopefully there will be some more details on the authentic version. It'll also be interesting to see the color of the shorts and socks. I personally would like to see white shorts and orange socks as a subtle homage to the city flag but I know that's likely a pipe dream. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

That's pretty nice, although it does look a bit simplistic. This might be the replica version, though, so if that's the case then hopefully there will be some more details on the authentic version. It'll also be interesting to see the color of the shorts and socks. I personally would like to see white shorts and orange socks as a subtle homage to the city flag but I know that's likely a pipe dream. 

I'm predicting an Adidas version of Man City because that's what NYCFC has gotten so far when it comes to the primary. I believe the orange and the five boroughs on the back of the collar is about as far as the we're going to get in the "local homage" category. 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Eh, I don't get the "Man City" complaints.  They like a classic home shirt in sky blue, that's always going to look like something Man City wore once upon a time.  It's not like the detailing has ever been coordinated.    

They can't exactly coordinate between Man City, NYCFC, & Melbourne City for a two reasons. 

1. NYCFC has to go with Adidas.  

2. Melbourne City can't have a sky blue primary since Sydney FC complained about it to the A-League. However Melbourne City & Man City's primaries have the same template. 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

I like this on its own merits though I agree with the earlier complaint that the orange stripe ought to be on the neckline too. However I'm curious how this will look different than SKC, who've used navy detailing since their rebrand -- NYC using white detailing was a nice differentiator.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

6 hours ago, Digby said:

I like this on its own merits though I agree with the earlier complaint that the orange stripe ought to be on the neckline too. However I'm curious how this will look different than SKC, who've used navy detailing since their rebrand -- NYC using white detailing was a nice differentiator.

Kansas City's blue is much more slate than sky.  

IMG_0025.JPG

And as long as New York City uses even a touch of orange, I think that'll be enough to set them apart. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2016 at 4:10 PM, Nyk33 said:

Leaked 2017 NYCFC Primary

Embedded image

I think replacing the white with navy blue was a good move as well as adding the orange to create some separation from Sporting KC. 

I don't like the navy blue instead of white stripes. Have always thought the Sounders looked much better with white instead of blue stripes (although I can do without the blue side panels). Kind of the same deal here. 

ADI_40280_A.jpeg

The Timbers' new primary kit for 2017 has already been teased by Merritt Paulson but the shot he provided did not give us a good look at the intricacies and details of the kit. Today the club's twitter account posted this image which seems to give us an idea of what some of those details will look like:

IMG_2673.JPG

As you can see, there appears to be some subtle horizontal striping (possibly even some diagonal striping if you look to the bottom right of the crest) woven into the fabric and the crest appears to have a spiraling effect which I would guess is meant to evoke the rings on the wood slabs that Timber Joey cuts off for goals and shutouts. Regardless, all signs are pointing to an absolutely beautiful new primary kit and I couldn't be happier as an  avid fan of the club. And as a refresher, here's the original teaser provided by MP:

IMG_2601.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

7 hours ago, twi said:

Those are nice. The only issue (and it's a small one) is the yellow on the sleeve shields don't match the jersey. Very possible that gets fixed though. 

Good catch.  They darkened the yellow to hold in the badge, should do the same for the league logos.  

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Good catch.  They darkened the yellow to hold in the badge, should do the same for the league logos.  

Unless they end up fixing that I'm wondering if there's some sort of league mandate where teams must use their team-colored MLS badge on the primary kit. That would be ridiculously stupid but it's the only explanation I can think of. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Unless they end up fixing that I'm wondering if there's some sort of league mandate where teams must use their team-colored MLS badge on the primary kit. That would be ridiculously stupid but it's the only explanation I can think of. 

Obviously that wouldn't apply to keeper shirts.  But even if that is a rule, we don't have any reason to believe that MLS would prevent the Timbers from changing their official colors.  We've seen this happen once already.  

In 2015, the Red Bulls wore an MLS shield with red background and blue outline:

_First_Team_News_815x390.jpg

After one season, they flipped the colors:

622255864.jpg

No other changes to the uniforms.   We don't know why the Red Bulls made that change, but they did.

MLS isn't terribly strict about its uniform rules. They would prefer teams not have third jerseys, but only discourage the practice instead of banning it altogether, which would be easy enough to do.  That makes me tend to believe that the problem doesn't lie with any MLS uniform regulations.

7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Obviously that wouldn't apply to keeper shirts.  But even if that is a rule, we don't have any reason to believe that MLS would prevent the Timbers from changing their official colors.  We've seen this happen once already.  

In 2015, the Red Bulls wore an MLS shield with red background and blue outline:

_First_Team_News_815x390.jpg

After one season, they flipped the colors:

622255864.jpg

No other changes to the uniforms.   We don't know why the Red Bulls made that change, but they did.

MLS isn't terribly strict about its uniform rules. They would prefer teams not have third jerseys, but only discourage the practice instead of banning it altogether, which would be easy enough to do.  That makes me tend to believe that the problem doesn't lie with any MLS uniform regulations.

I believe the Red Bulls changed their MLS shield so it wasn't the same colors as the official league badge. The other instance of a club changing the colors of their league badge is the Galaxy and the reasoning is unclear. Having said that, since the Timbers have not changed their official colors to the darker green and gold, it wouldn't surprise me if they're still required to wear the league badge in their official colors on the primary kit. Otherwise I can't really see the club approving the kit without having the league badges match the color scheme of the rest of the kit like it did on the 2014/15 third kit:

IMG_2678.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Just now, upperV03 said:

I believe the Red Bulls changed their MLS shield so it wasn't the same colors as the official league badge. The other instance of a club changing the colors of their league badge is the Galaxy and the reasoning is unclear. Having said that, since the Timbers have not changed their official colors to the darker green and gold, it wouldn't surprise me if they're still required to wear the league badge in their official colors on the primary kit. Otherwise I can't really see the club approving the kit without having the league badges match the color scheme of the rest of the kit like it did on the 2014/15 third kit:

Surely somebody along the line noticed that the Red Bulls and MLS had the same color alignment before it was unveiled.  

I forgot about the Galaxy, who in the same span went from this:

87218e900ca580725b681f4bd5c46076.jpg

to this:

IMG_0879.JPG

Although that was part of a general overhaul.

Still, the change indicates that the Red Bulls' change wasn't some sort of special exemption based on a previously-unnoticed resemblance to the official league version.

Archived