the admiral

(NHL Playoffs) Rite of Spring 2017: can't go on, no, I'll go on

30 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

A few years ago: "Winnipeg Jets fans are racists."
No problemo!

Today: "Nashville Predators fans are racists."
HOW DARE YOU, SIR!

I never said "how dare you." I came back with an explanation of why I think the racism allegations are, largely, unfounded. The only fanbase I feel has a racism problem is the Blues. Even then, they're a minority, and the organization has been classy and quick to tell them off, on social media.

...maybe the Bruins, a little, too.

I'll take admiral being a curmudgeon over the thin skin of #Sunbeltfans

"OH NO, THE MEAN MAN ON THE CANADIAN TV MADE A JOKE ABOUT THE LIGHTNING'S TICKET PRICES!"

You wanna bust our balls for being "snobs" and "traditionalists"? Fine. Hell, make fun of how much of a pain in the ass it is to drive around Toronto or Chicago in the winter. I don't know what that accomplishes it, but you do you.

Your teams have their own foibles though. So if you want to make a "losers since '67" joke, fine. Just don't act hurt and put down when I joke about your team banning the other team's jerseys from the club level. Sunbelt hockey fans tend to have this weird inferiority/superiority complex. They want to talk trash about the old, northern fanbases (which, yes, does get underlined with a degree of racist subtext) but act like someone killed their dog when we shoot back.

It was something I noticed years ago, and after moving to Tampa and going to Lightning games? Yeah. Theory proven. Lightning fans are great, but there's definitely a weird vibe when the topic is brought up. The team even has a commercial they air in the arena! About some guy narrating how he grew up in Montreal but the Lightning have been such a big part of his family that he's firmly a Bolts fan now.

Weird is really the best way to describe it. There's definitely some large but fragile egos at work when it comes to southern fanbases as a collective.

As a sunbelt fan, my skin needed a little thickening. Interacting more with traditional market fans helped. In my experience, though, Tampa is one of the thinnest-skinned bunches I've encountered. I do wonder if you're judging all of us, by the worst of us, a bit, but that's not the core of this.

And to the racist Nashville Perds thing? I think admiral's getting at the hockey media's narrative over his trade being full of it. The narrative is "oh isn't it wonderful that Subban got out of Quebec? There's still racism in Quebecois culture, this is good for him!" all while he heads to Tennessee. A state where they enslaved and lynched black people. And a state which, as you yourself admitted, isn't quite over its racial issues.

Ok, but that has nothing to do with Nashville fans. Up until this post season, the hockey media is usually pretty content to pretend like we don't even exist, aside from the obligatory one or two national TV games. Our own NBC affiliate beeded all of ten minutes, to embarrass Nashville hockey coverage. I promise you, we weren't driving that shortbus.

Most Nashville fans laughed at that narrative. Hell, I loved that PK kind of roasted it, during his comedy bit, right after the trade.

So I'm sure you can recognize the ridiculousness in the above narrative, yes?

Overall, the sunbelt vs traditional fan fight is stupid. The league created resentment, towards southern markets, by ripping teams from servicable cities, to create them. This, in turn, made southern fans feel defensive, and created a chip on their collective shoulders. There's ridiculousness, on both sides, it's just lower hanging fruit, in the south.

4 minutes ago, Coast2CoastAM2006 said:

I prefer to just enjoy playoff hockey instead of getting into a male appendage wagging contest over who has the best/worst fans. There's been some stuff during the playoffs that's been enjoyable.

Well I am, frankly, sick of it. It keeps coming up though.

9 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I never said "how dare you." I came back with an explanation of why I think the racism allegations are, largely, unfounded. The only fanbase I feel has a racism problem is the Blues. Even then, they're a minority, and the organization has been classy and quick to tell them off, on social media.

...maybe the Bruins, a little, too.

Well I wasn't clear. It was more of a broad observation not directed at any one poster. A few years ago most people were fine when someone implied that Jets fans were all racists because Winnipeg doesn't have the best track record when it comes to race relations. Then someone says it about Tennessee, and people lose their minds. Never mind the fact that Tennessee's history of racial issues trumps Winnipeg's spotty record easily. I mean do I think Nashville or Winnipeg are full of racists? No. I'm sure each city (and thus fanbases) have a few. I'm just noting that the discrepancies in the reactions.

I mean the Bruins fans are the one who called Subban a n :censored:  on Twitter after he owned them in the playoffs a few years back, so maybe they deserve more of the flack in that area than anyone else? :P

14 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

As a sunbelt fan, my skin needed a little thickening. Interacting more with traditional market fans helped. In my experience, though, Tampa is one of the thinnest-skinned bunches I've encountered. I do wonder if you're judging all of us, by the worst of us, a bit, but that's not the core of this.

The first point ties into the last point below, so I'll hold off on it for now.

Tampa fans are generally pretty knowledgeable. They know the game, and the Lightning fans I've talked to and gone to games with have been pretty good 99% of the time. They can discuss their team with the best of us from other locales (and there was a lot of complaining about management this season, let me tell you :P ).

Maybe this is the worst of the worst. I donno. I honestly can't speak to that. It's a good, passionate fanbase. As I said though. It's weird. Like...I'm pretty sure you could wear a Lightning sweater to a Leafs/Bolts game in the ACC and no one would give you flack aside from a few surprised looks. I show up to a Leafs/Bolts game at Amalie Arena in a Leafs sweater and I get the "what are ya wearing that for?" greeting. I don't know Paul. I'm just from Kitchener. And you know that. What do you think?

26 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Overall, the sunbelt vs traditional fan fight is stupid. The league created resentment, towards southern markets, by ripping teams from servicable cities, to create them. This, in turn, made southern fans feel defensive, and created a chip on their collective shoulders. There's ridiculousness, on both sides, it's just lower hanging fruit, in the south.

That ties back to your first point above.

I agree. I honestly don't think there would be much of a divide if the Hurricanes, Stars, and Coyotes hadn't come at the expense of the Whalers, North Stars, and Jets. Like I said. I honestly am tired of it, but it keeps flaring up.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

And to the racist Nashville Perds thing? I think admiral's getting at the hockey media's narrative over his trade being full of it. The narrative is "oh isn't it wonderful that Subban got out of Quebec? There's still racism in Quebecois culture, this is good for him!" all while he heads to Tennessee. A state where they enslaved and lynched black people. And a state which, as you yourself admitted, isn't quite over its racial issues.

Perhaps those in the hockey media that even brought up race as any sort of reasoning for why the trade was made are the ones you should be questioning about any sort of racist/prejudiced tendencies.  Probably the same ilk that brought up race when the Thrashers acquired Oduya and Byfuglien and drafted Kane within a couple years.  Those that look for any sort of racial angle are generally the same folks that, well, have some sort of prejudice or bigotry in themselves.

It's a little unfair to hang the moniker of "Well, Tennessee once had slaves and lynchings, so they must still hate black people" onto the Predators fan base when slavery was abolished over 130 years before the Predators' existence, and the last recorded lynching being 27 years before the Maple Leafs last won a Cup.  Is Nashville or Tennessee 100% clear of race problems? Nope.  But neither is any American city, nor is every Canadian city clear of any sort of racial stigmas.  (Hell, just look at Boston a couple weeks ago.  European soccer fans still throw bananas and make monkey sounds for black players.)

2 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

It's a little unfair to hang the moniker of "Well, Tennessee once had slaves and lynchings, so they must still hate black people" onto the Predators fan base

Probably, but it seems pretty ass-backwards to claim Tennessee's the land of racial harmony compared to Montreal. If someone's saying that with a straight face then it's pretty G-ddamn laughable.

3 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

But neither is any American city, nor is every Canadian city clear of any sort of racial stigmas. 

I don't believe I ever said or implied "every Canadian city" was "clear" of racial issues. I even previously said that Winnipeg's record is spotty.

No one's said Nashville is the utopian, free-of-race-issues city. 

"Probably"?  Illinois once had slaves and lynchings.  So did California and Ohio and Colorado.  It's pretty ballsy of a Blackhawks fan to call another team's fanbase "racists" when Chicago's got more race issues today than Nashville.

The south has the north beaten in lynchings and length of slavery.  But race issues of today? Northern cities are having just as many issues....if not more.....than their southern counterparts.

31 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

if not more

You actually had me until that part. And yeah, I do believe I pointed Chicago's own troublesome past with race relations to the gentleman who called Jets fans racist a few years back.

I'm still not buying that the South has less racial issues than the North though. There's a Confederate flag flying off of the highway to Brandon. Like...aggressively large.

21 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I'm still not buying that the South has less racial issues than the North though.

That's cool, because that's not what I'm selling.

We need games instead of discussion that borders on political talk.  I think Ottawa will give Pittsburgh more fits than people think.  They've been awfully pesky throughout the playoffs and are playing with House Money now.  I think this one goes the distance.  As for Nashville/Anaheim....Nashville has the better goalie, the more potent offense, and the more reliable defensemen.  This should be a runaway for the Predators, but the Ducks seem to always do just enough to get by.

3 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

29 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Northern cities are having just as many issues....if not more.....than their southern counterparts.

Seems to be ;)

I can appreciate a change of discussion though.

7 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I think Ottawa will give Pittsburgh more fits than people think.

I don't think so. I don't know how much of the Ottawa/Boston series you watched, but those two teams looked awful. And the Rangers needed six games to dispatch a Habs team that wasn't able to find the back of the net. Pittsburgh, however, looks like a buzzsaw. It's always disconcerting when a team's backup goaltender is on fire.

9 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

As for Nashville/Anaheim....Nashville has the better goalie, the more potent offense, and the more reliable defensemen.  This should be a runaway for the Predators, but the Ducks seem to always do just enough to get by.

Until they don't. And this Preds team dispatched them last year. Maybe getting over the game seven hump gave them confidence, but Nashville looks like Pittsburgh. Just on another level.

14 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Seems to be ;)

I could have sworn I caught you mistyping.

I don't know what Ottawa is doing.  Their raw stats say they shouldn't be here.  Minus goal differential for the season, one above in the playoffs...but they just kind of hang around and pull games out of their ass.  If style points mattered, it's Pittsburgh in 3.  But it's just "do what you can to win" now, and somehow or another, Ottawa wins these games they shouldn't be winning.

1 minute ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I could have sworn I caught you mistyping.

So you did. So you did. Sometimes the mind runs faster than the pen. Or the fingertips. 

2 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I don't know what Ottawa is doing.  Their raw stats say they shouldn't be here.  Minus goal differential for the season, one above in the playoffs...but they just kind of hang around and pull games out of their ass.  If style points mattered...

It's not a matter of style points, it's just a matter of the Pens being the better team. Hanging around until you manage to make magic happen isn't going to work against a team as deep and as fine tuned as Pittsburgh. They got by a Rangers team that coasted through most of the season and had trouble with an offence-less Montreal, and beat a pretty bad Bruins team. What they've been doing won't cut it against the Pen's raw talent. 

Maybe Ottawa has a chance if MAF turns into a Pumpkin, but if that was going to happen he would have completed the three game collapse against Washington.

1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

We need games instead of discussion that borders on political talk.  I think Ottawa will give Pittsburgh more fits than people think.  They've been awfully pesky throughout the playoffs and are playing with House Money now.  I think this one goes the distance.  As for Nashville/Anaheim....Nashville has the better goalie, the more potent offense, and the more reliable defensemen.  This should be a runaway for the Predators, but the Ducks seem to always do just enough to get by.

I actually think Anaheim's offense is slightly more potent than Nashville's, but less consistent, in round 2. Null game, IMO. Even if they stymie the JoFA line (still not convinced that I don't hate that name), though, we have a ridiculously productive defense.

Unless Nashville falters, in a major way, or Anaheim hits a higher level of consistency, Nashville in 6.

I think the east is Pittsburgh's to lose. If Ottawa's black sorcery holds up, and the Pens are a little winded, after the first two rounds, maybe they can pull something off. I might feel better about calling this if I could put my finger on how exactly the Sens got to the conference final. I'm inclined to say Pens in 5, but a part of me is thinking (even hoping) Sens in 7.

Stats from the Regular season don't seem to matter in the postseason, (See Washington and Minnesota) so I'll give Ottawa a little more credit, but I agree with Ice_Cap... Pittsburgh is just too good... Pens in 6

I also think the Predators are playing better than the Ducks right now, but Rinne did look a little shaky towards the end of the season, so that series depends on the play of Him... Preds in 7 is what I'm thinking though...

SCF- Preds in 7 

4 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Stats from the Regular season don't seem to matter in the postseason, (See Washington and Minnesota) so I'll give Ottawa a little more credit, but I agree with Ice_Cap... Pittsburgh is just too good... Pens in 6

I also think the Predators are playing better than the Ducks right now, but Rinne did look a little shaky towards the end of the season, so that series depends on the play of Him... Preds in 7 is what I'm thinking though...

SCF- Preds in 7 

Stats from the regular season don't matter, yet how Rinne played a month ago does?

HOLY COW we're getting off track here. Hopefully I didn't star any of this with my being depressed/bitter about Wednesday night. 

4 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Stats from the regular season don't matter, yet how Rinne played a month ago does?

Exactly...

Senators in 7

Predators in 6

Preds have a hot goalie and are the hot pick.  It makes sense.

Pens Vs. Ducks.

Whatever happens this round, we can all sleep soundly knowing that we did get to see a Battle of Alberta in the end. It was Flames vs. Oilers: which team can look worse playing a California team.

And the Flames won that battle! Congrats, Calgary!