NBA 2017-18: A Tale of Two Conferences

buzzcut

17 minutes ago, Kaz said:

It's quite impressive how the Spurs have managed to still be good this season with Kawaii Leonard missing most of the season and Tony Parker looking a lot like his age.

LMA was pretty crap last season. He and Pop deserve a lot of credit for turning it around this season. If Leonard is able to come back at a high level, they could be a real wild card.

I miss Lonzo. Also, Alex Caruso needs to let it go. And if Draymond ever lost it, I bet Julius Randle could fill that role pretty quickly, though without the three-point shooting (that Green doesn't really have either).

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a shame PG13, Lou Williams and Chris Paul got snubbed in the ASG. But, what do you expect from a STACKED Western Conference?

I hope if they continue this no Conference game next year that they select the team by the Top-24 best players regardless of conference.

It's hard to justify Al Horford, Kyle Lowry and Kevin Love over the previously mentioned three.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

14 minutes ago, kimball said:

It's a shame PG13, Lou Williams and Chris Paul got snubbed in the ASG. But, what do you expect from a STACKED Western Conference?

I hope if they continue this no Conference game next year that they select the team by the Top-24 best players regardless of conference.

It's hard to justify Al Horford, Kyle Lowry and Kevin Love over the previously mentioned three.

I hate this format.  Team "Player" vs. Team "Player" just makes no sense.  I don't go into the game knowing who is on which team.  For the first time Since KG and Wally, the Wolves have two all-stars and there's a 50/50 shot they'll be playing against each other?  I know nobody really gets excited about "Go Western Conference!" but "Go Team Steph!"  Really?

But given that this is the way they're doing it, I tend to agree that they may as well ignore conference when choosing the 24 All Stars.  However, I wonder whether there are CBA implications.  Players get bonuses, I suspect for making the team and I wonder whether there'd be a problem with changing that balance in the middle of the CBA.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'm a little surprised to see the love for Coach Kidd. I get that Giannis likes him, but beyond that it seems like not a great sign when your coach torches front-office relationships dramatically twice in four seasons. I'm not sure he was bad enough to warrant an in-season firing, but it also seems like the Bucks' growth curve has flattened out somewhat surprisingly. I don't think Kidd is an X's and O's guy. Would love to see Fizdale get that gig.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

4 hours ago, Digby said:

I'm a little surprised to see the love for Coach Kidd. I get that Giannis likes him, but beyond that it seems like not a great sign when your coach torches front-office relationships dramatically twice in four seasons. I'm not sure he was bad enough to warrant an in-season firing, but it also seems like the Bucks' growth curve has flattened out somewhat surprisingly. I don't think Kidd is an X's and O's guy. Would love to see Fizdale get that gig.

Windhorst and Lowe wrote about the power struggle with the Bucks last year, which Kidd really wasn't involved. The three hedge fund owners thought that a 2-1 vote would always be how they'd make decisions until one of the three, Wes Edens, pulled the, "I've got the seat on the Board of Governors" card.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/presents-19767339/zach-lowe-brian-windhorst-milwaukee-bucks-ownership-giannis-antetokounmpo-nba

I don't see how Fizdale would work well with a second year, 36 year old GM.

18 hours ago, kimball said:

Paul's missed quite a few games (17 of 46)..... The Clippers have been good as of late, but started out kinda murky.... and well, actually I can't think of any reason Paul George shouldn't be an All Star. 

The 3 guys who you picked out though:

Kyle Lowry: Averaging more rebounds & the same number of assists this season while playing less minutes, is active on defense & plays for the 2nd best team in the East. Got off to a slow start, but has rebounded nicely & the Raptors are winning. He's taken on a lesser load and is still efficient as ever. 

Al Horford: In terms of points and rebounds, guys not up there.... until you look into advanced metrics, particularly on the defensive end. Horford has a defensive win share of 2.6, his defensive rating is a 101 & he's 9th overall in defensive box plus-minus Not to mention that once again, his team is a winner: 1st in the East. 

Now, I haven't watched a lot of Cavs games.... so I can't vouch for Love. Maybe a cavs fan can show up and help me out here. But people forget that the reserves are voted on by coaches. Coaches value winning & defense as much as offense, even if the All Star Game is essentially a free for all where nobody plays D. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

The starters make me laugh. Four forwards and a guard vs three guards, a freak and a center. It's like a literal past vs future.

LeBron did well with politics, though I'd have like to see him pick Draymond. Otherwise, looks like a fun experiment.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

8 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

I can't believe Dan Gilbert did it again.

The Cavs really have no choice but to blow it up. IT has had a couple of good games, but it doesn't seem to be working. And if not him, Crowder's got to go. The team doesn't really have a future with or without LeBron, so if it were me, I'd dump Shump, that pick and maybe TT to pick up a guy like DJ. And if you could add IT to that and get back Lou Williams, all the better.

On 1/24/2018 at 12:12 PM, kimball said:

Do you think the NBA will ever scrap the conferences but maybe keep the divisions? The competitive balance between the two conferences is staggeringly uneven and I think fans would want the best teams in and not a sub-.500 7 or 8 seed in the East. They have done it now with the ASG so is it feasible?

50 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

Do you think the NBA will ever scrap the conferences but maybe keep the divisions? The competitive balance between the two conferences is staggeringly uneven and I think fans would want the best teams in and not a sub-.500 7 or 8 seed in the East. They have done it now with the ASG so is it feasible?

That's less true now than it's been in the past. Currently both 8 seeds are at least 2 games over .500. Last year, both 8 seeds were .500.  And in 15/16, the 8 seeded Rockets were .500 and the 8 seeded Pistons were 6 games over.

The quality of the league is way better, even with super teams. Some teams like the Cavs are hot garbage, but if you watch the Suns or Nets or even sometimes the Magic, there's a much higher level of play than back in, say, 2005. Basically every team is seven seconds or less now.

23 minutes ago, Kaz said:

giphy.gif

Ha. I was coming to post the same. Kevin Love DGAF.

I can't tell if this is him being a dick too: https://streamable.com/my000

But probably.

Offseason will have an "Officials/Players Summit"

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/01/26/nba-announces-program-address-referee-player-relationship-official-release

Recently appointed NBA Senior Vice President, Head of Referee Operations Michelle Johnson and former top-rated referee Monty McCutchen, who was named NBA Vice President, Head of Referee Development and Training in December, will oversee the program, which is detailed below:

1. Johnson, McCutchen and their staffs will conduct meetings with all 30 teams to discuss rules interpretations, on-court conduct and the expectations of NBA referees. These meetings will begin before the NBA All-Star break.

2. The league will re-emphasize its “Respect for the Game” rules with referees, coaches and players to ensure consistent enforcement of those violations.

3. The NBA Referee Operations department will expand its overall rules education initiative for coaches, players and team personnel to ensure clarity of the game’s rules and their proper interpretations.

4. Johnson and McCutchen will conduct enhanced training for the referees on conflict resolution. In addition, they will more closely monitor the on-court interactions of coaches, players and referees to ensure referee decorum meets league standards.

5. Through the NBA’s Officiating Advisory Council, the league will create opportunities for engagement with all key stakeholders to find common ground between all parties.

I'm confused on which one the NBA thinks this is...

Or...

Archived