crashcarson15

2018 FIFA World Cup

Recommended Posts

After that performance by Saudi Arabia, it’s clear that what the World Cup needs is 16 more teams. 

 

(stolen from twitter)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp, it was a better start for Saudi Arabia than their last world cup appearance.....

 

but yeah, no way in hell the field should be expanded but the powers that be will ruin anything to make a quick buck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the English language PA guy sounded familiar to you during today's game, it was Vikings/Rapids/Avalanche (and former Broncos) PA announcer Alan Roach.

Roach does the Super Bowl PA and will be PA for both Moscow stadiums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A day late, but here are my picks, with some mild upsets included. 

Group A: 

Uruguay (9 pts) 

Egypt (4 pts) 

Russia (4 pts) 

Saudi Arabia (0 pts) 

 

Group B: 

Spain (9 pts) 

Portugal (6 pts) 

Morocco (1 pt) 

Iran (1 pt) 

 

Group C

France (7 pts) 

Denmark (5 pts) 

Peru (4 pts) 

Australia (0 pts) 

 

Group D

Croatia (5 pts) 

Argentina (5 pts) 

Iceland (2 pts) 

Nigeria (2 pts) 

 

Group E: 

Brazil (9 pts) 

Serbia (4 pts) 

Switzerland (2 pts) 

Costa Rica (1 pt) 

 

Group F: 

Germany (7 pts) 

Mexico (6 pts) 

Sweden (2 pts) 

South Korea (1 pt) 

 

Group G: 

Belgium (9 pts) 

England (4 pts) 

Panama (2 pts) 

Tunisia (1 pt) 

 

Group H: 

Poland (5 pts) 

Senegal (4 pts) 

Colombia (4 pts) 

Japan (1 pt) 

 

Knockout Rounds: 

Uruguay over Portugal (2-1) 

France over Argentina (4-2) 

Brazil over Mexico (3-0) 

Senegal over Belgium (3-2, AET) 

Spain over Egypt (3-0) 

Croatia over Denmark (2-1) 

Germany over Serbia (2-0) 

Poland over England (1–1, 4-2 PEN) 

 

Quarterfinals: 

France over Uruguay (1-0, AET) 

Brazil over Senegal (3-1) 

Spain over Croatia (2-1, AET) 

Germany over Poland (0-0, 5-3 PEN) 

 

Semifinals: 

Brazil over France (2–1, AET) 

Germany over Spain (1-0) 

 

Third Place: 

France over Spain (3-2) 

 

Final: 

Germany over Brazil (1-0 AET, Goretzka with a winner in the 108th minute) 

 

Golden Ball: Coutinho (BRA) 

Golden Boot: Thomas Müller (GER) 

Golden Glove: David de Gea (ESP) 

Best Young Player: Kylian Mbappe (FRA) 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

After that performance by Saudi Arabia, it’s clear that what the World Cup needs is 16 more teams. 

 

(stolen from twitter)

Can't wait to see a second place Oceania nation be defeated by Germany or France 15-0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

Can't wait to see a second place Oceania nation be defeated by Germany or France 15-0.

 

OFC is only guaranteed the one spot in the expanded field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rams80 said:

 

OFC is only guaranteed the one spot in the expanded field.

 

Which is more then likely New Zealand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, rams80 said:

 

OFC is only guaranteed the one spot in the expanded field.

I was using a bit of hyperbole. My point is that nation #48 will get beat up pretty bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been wondering if there's a way to salvage the group stage in a 48 team field. Play-in games a la the NCAA tournament might work, but no one will go for dragging a small bubble nation to a World Cup for maybe just one game. Maybe you could have varsity-level groups that get 2 knockout spots, and junior varsity-level groups that get 1 knockout spot. Or better yet, maybe a second group stage, like the Champions League used to have. You could just ignore the garbage first group stage perhaps. A second draw would be great for drama and narrative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Digby said:

I've been wondering if there's a way to salvage the group stage in a 48 team field. Play-in games a la the NCAA tournament might work, but no one will go for dragging a small bubble nation to a World Cup for maybe just one game. Maybe you could have varsity-level groups that get 2 knockout spots, and junior varsity-level groups that get 1 knockout spot. Or better yet, maybe a second group stage, like the Champions League used to have. You could just ignore the garbage first group stage perhaps. A second draw would be great for drama and narrative.

FIFA wanted to have a 60 team tournament with a play-in round. I believe they are looking at three team groups instead of four. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

FIFA wanted to have a 60 team tournament with a play-in round. I believe they are looking at three team groups instead of four. 

and with 16 3 team groups, the expansion to 64 would be a quite easy transition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

and with 16 3 team groups, the expansion to 64 would be a quite easy transition.

The issue becomes how long will the tournament take and how much can you condense the timeline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh Morocco you didn't just do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Wings said:

Oh Morocco you didn't just do that.

It's just been a bad week for those guys all around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

It's just been a bad week for those guys all around. 

It’s not like either of them had much of a chance beating Spain or Portugal... 

 

Speaking of, hopefully the aforementioned matchup makes up for all the lackluster contests so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decent match, this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The RTP (Portugal) broadcaster just had an orgasm.

 

Edit: Here's the Nuno Matos  radio call ( Go to the 12:00 mark)

 

Edited by dfwabel
audio added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I had recorded this. That game was beautiful. De Gea had a Karius moment though, pretty sure he won't be up for Golden Glove now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now