Did the New Jersey Nets tease their Brooklyn logo?

TaylorMade

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not think "Brooklyn" when I look at the B. I just think "basketball". The logo just says "Nets Basketball." If this is the real thing, it's horrible. And dare I say it, worse than OKC's logo. Just bleh.

Exactly my thoughts as well. At least it's better than the Raptors logo, though. That one continues to take the cake for being the worst primary logo in the league.

Anyway....I'm glad I'm not the only one who strongly dislikes the new look. When I posted the new logos over on a Timberwolves forum, it seemed like 85% of the posters disagreed with me and actually like them quite a bit. Now that could just be because it's the typical, "I'm on the internet, so I have to disagree with this guy" mentality...but nonetheless, it's good to see other design conscious people also voice their disapproval of this atrocity.

I think the black and white is a pretty cool color scheme to go with, and that might be the main reason certain people are digging the new look; for the colors alone. But let's face it, there is nothing unique about that logo. It is essentially just clipart. I understand wanting to look throwback by going with the basic/classic look, but this wasn't the way to do it.

Years ago when the Pistons wanted to look more retro, they came up with this:

3079.gif

Not the best logo around....but THAT'S essentially the way to do it if you ask me. Basic/classic/retro looking, but still fitting in the modern world.

In the end, I wouldn't have minded the new logo as an alternate, but as the PRIMARY branding image? Yeesh. What about this logo suggest the franchise is moving forward and improving? If anything, it shows they're lazily regressing/moving backwards.

Lastly, weren't the Nets supposed to change their name entirely? For one of my senior college projects last year I almost chose to come up with a completely new brand and design for them. So when I saw these new changes to the same ol' "Nets," I was extremely disappointed. I think EVERY team who moves should change their team name. If not, that's how we end up with teams like "Jazz" in Utah with people going, "What the hell does Jazz have to do with Utah?"

HybridLogos-NBA-Timberwolves.png?t=1336836952

No, they announced a couple months ago that they were keeping the name.

Well yeah...that's pretty obvious at this point. But what I'm saying is that I'm disappointed because they DID announce that they WERE going to change the name at one point.

Well yeah...that's pretty obvious at this point. But what I'm saying is that I'm disappointed because they DID announce that they WERE going to change the name at one point.

I think you're misremembering.

They did announce that they'd have a press conference to unveil the new name. And they did, announcing... the Brooklyn Nets.

New Jersey by itself is not a pro sports market. It's stuck in between two of the countries major markets in NY and Philadelphia. I don't see the Devils going anywhere soon, but they will ALWAYS be the little brother to the NY Rangers no matter how much they win.

I think you're misremembering.

They did announce that they'd have a press conference to unveil the new name. And they did, announcing... the Brooklyn Nets.

Hmmm....touche. To be fair though, now that I'm looking back at these articles announcing the name change, I wasn't the only one speculating that the name was going to go through an overhaul. The owner even hinted/teased that he was going to name the team after his girlfriend.

The fact reamins that I'm still sorely disappointed. It's one of the sillier names in all of sports, if you think about it. AND THEY NEVER INCLUDE AN ACTUAL NET IN THE LOGO! Yes, that would look silly...but that's why the name is silly to begin with! GAH!

So playing in the Meadowlands was responsible for the Nets being unable to sell out Finals games? Those teeming Net fans couldn't take a bloody shuttle bus from the train station? For a Finals game?

Well see, the problem was, since this was in Jersey, the shuttle buses were literally bloody.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

September? I hope they leak before that.

It might not just be a leak before then. When the Wizards came out with their new jerseys, they weren't available for purchase until then, although you could pre-order.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

A question for Andrew Harrington: you had said that pretty much the only idea of yours the Nets had decided to run with was a unique feature about the court. Has that been revealed yet?

Not unveiled yet. Also, I'm not totally positive it was adopted at this point, because I haven't seen the court. All signs point to it getting the green light, but I'll find out for sure when everyone else does, and I'll be hoping until then.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

It might not just be a leak before then. When the Wizards came out with their new jerseys, they weren't available for purchase until then, although you could pre-order.

It's strange to me that they wouldn't have jerseys to show around the time of the draft. I wonder what they'll have their picks hold up instead.

It's strange to me that they wouldn't have jerseys to show around the time of the draft. I wonder what they'll have their picks hold up instead.

Blue Ivy.

Archived