World Cup Jerseys

fonz

So now that the World Cup has started, what do you guys think of the jerseys? I'm noticing a big asymmetrical trend which I'm not really digging. I am also not a fan of the repeated templates of some teams. It takes away from national individuality on a world stage especially. All in all, I think the jerseys could have been done a lot better...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like England's home kits. A good shirt and the numbers are in the right place. Sweden's numbers are horrible and the kit looks too much like Chelsea and England rolled into the same shirt. TnT would be near perfect if they moved the numbers to the center. The jerseys worn by Germany have a neck line that drops too low. I have the Columbus Crew replica and it dips below my collarbone. And this a size L, the size I've worn for years. But other than that the fit looks pretty good. None of the Nike kits have been shown and the Lotto shirts haven't even been worn in World Cup warm ups so it'll be interesting to see if they've been shelved. Ecuador has had the best uniform so far.

i really like the stripes on the front of the costa rica shirts... not a huge fan of the uniform all together, but the stripes on the kit are wonderful.

is that a joma template? that's available to any team that wears joma?

i can't think of any teams that wear joma, of course i'm not really the most knowledgable person on soccer kit manufacturers... i love the sport, and know a decent amount, but that's the one sport that i barely pay attention to what's being worn... i guess it's because every team changes kits so often, but keeps them generally in the same design.

Sevilla is wearing that Costa Rica design, and Charlton could as well.

As for uniforms:

GER : CRC

GER - Looked good, though I'm not a fan of the number placement

CRC - Nice idea, pink stripes on keeper shirt were interesting

ECU : POL

ECU - Really liked these jersey. Looked better in action than I had anticipated

POL - Boring, though the Puma design was nice. Hate number placement.

ENG : PAR

ENG - Classy, and simple. Liked it.

PAR - Incredibly boring, Puma design was non-existant. See Poland for number placement.

T&T : SWE

T&T - Other than number placement, jersey's looked really nice. Love the black/gold keeper kit.

SWE - Quirky font, but nice jersey nonetheless, I was impressed.

ARG : IVO

ARG - Hated these on FC Dallas, don't like them any better on Argentina.

IVO - Colors are beautiful, but number placement, and the elephant looking like a sweat stain detracted from the kit.

T&T - Other than number placement, jersey's looked really nice. Love the black/gold keeper kit..

Agreed... I'm gonna look into buying one or the other.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I sure wish I could find a Côte D'Ivoire shirt in a size other than XL. I picked them as my "random country" team under the impression that they'd be wearing orange, and they didn't disappoint. Now I want one.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

no kidding the Sweden kits look like Chelsea, they're off of the same Umbro template. the England version, though, you can tell the template had them in mind originally. I like pretty much all of the Nike kits, I'm still really mixed about the Adidas templates - especially the font, it's a throwback but I'm not quite sure I like it - and the Puma ones would look better without sublimation and anything on the backs. And if they weren't seemingly supplying half of the teams.

I'm also staunchly against numbers in the upper-right, ala the England away and the Puma kits. It just looks wrong.

harperdc.gif

I sure wish I could find a Côte D'Ivoire shirt in a size other than XL. I picked them as my "random country" team under the impression that they'd be wearing orange, and they didn't disappoint. Now I want one.

See also: My fruitless search on Friday and Saturday to find somewhere locally that:

1. Stocks the US national team jerseys

2. Stocks them in XXL

Meh.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'm not thrilled with the lowercase names nor the finely detailed numbers on the Puma kits. They don't come across very well on TV.

Some ? namely Paul Lukas ? have dumped on the Lotto kits (Ukraine, Serbia & Montenegro), but I dig them, especially with the Compacta-esque numbers and lettering.

Portugal looks sharp this afternoon, as did the Netherlands this morning. But I did think the Dutch numbers were placed too close together and could maybe use a white outline. And I noticed a wide range of shoe colours amongst the Dutch team as well: orange, blue, white, black. I would have thought they'd try to keep that a little more standard.

some teams - like Germany - must have it in their contracts that all their players wear their official suppliers' shoes (Nike players like Klose and Lehmann wore adidas boots), but I think they're the minority. Soccer doesn't have the same uniform-ness in shoes as American football does, and I think they're all the better for it - when I play Winning Eleven or watch soccer, I somtimes cue players off of their shoe colors and styles. Guess I'm weird like that.

I like the Puma font, it doesn't look too busy IMO.

and the Portugese *need* to have green shorts. Its sacrilige for them to be in all red.

harperdc.gif

slightly off topic but very related:  I am currently working on compiling ALL of this year's world cup kits for the sportslogos site - expect to see them posted in the concepts thread soon (so i can check the accuracy of my shirts)

FAN-tastic. Can't wait.

With that being said, the AJC (Atlanta Journal-Constitution) tried to do the same thing by putting all the kits of the teams competing in the World Cup in the sports page on Friday. Unfortunately, they only had the 2002 kits, not the updated ones. But kudos to them for trying ^_^

And I would kill to get both of Oranje's jerseys. They are amazing, and their white one pleasantly suprised me.

i personally hate the stripe on angolas jersey. My fav. jeresy has to be Japan's

japan1vr.th.jpg

and i agree with walkerws that ecuador has had the best jerseys so far.

Croatia on the other hand......

craotia9lm.th.jpg

croatiaback6na.th.jpg

I call Croatia the red dalmatians

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

One issue I am wondering about the Cup jerseys ...

Is FIFA mandating that all teams display a first initial along with their last names? I noticed that Mexico and Iran all had first initials and last names, no matter how unique the last name is in the team and in the tournament. But Portugal had some non-initialled nameplates (Figo being one of them).

I guess we'll see tomorrow whether our national team will have a C.REYNA, O.ONYEWU, etc. on the backs of the jerseys. And it would really suck if Brazil had to have first initials and last name; I wouldn't like to see. R. DASILVA for Ronaldo or E. ARANTES for Pele.

Does anyone else think that Puma's jerseys really seam to be more sweaty than others. Watching players Like Drogba of the IC and Akwa on Angola those guys looked like they had buckets of water thrown on them. I only really like Angola's jersey so far and I may actually buy it. While the Ivory Coast looked good on TV I can't get over the idea of the underlying drawings on Puma's jerseys when you see them up close.

My fav. jeresy has to be Japan's

japan1vr.th.jpg

What?

For goodness sakes, it makes the Japanese players look like there's odour vapors coming from their crotch into their armpits.

I haven't found a jersey this World cup that I 100% like. USA & Brazil come close though, if it weren't for the meaningless extra outline on the number font.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Archived