MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mostly agree but don't mind a few deviations. Where do you stand on the Cubs and Reds? Those aren't cap logos, per se, but are similar. I don't like it as a lazy alternate: the old Marlins, Rockies, Twins, the Giants' road alternates (which should never happen). I think the Expos' scripts were better than the standalone swirly M.

As usual, I think I'm happy grandfathering in the teams who have been doing it forever, but can't get behind it on new uniforms. The Nationals are a perfect example, abandoning a well-designed identity, albeit one that had been chipped away at from day one, just to keep playing up the Curly W from a failed expansion team.

In typing that, I thought about the Reds, but the Cubs slipped my mind. I think both logos are acceptable considering they expand on the main identity. Plus, it's kinda hard to put a four-letter team name across the chest. You end up with something awful like the Cubs fauxback road alt of the Reds' BP jerseys.

I've always liked the curly W, but the smushed-together inaugural identity didn't work. I was really excited when they debuted the Washington script wordmark on the roads, but sadly, I think their current uniforms are a bigger mess than the inaugural set. They'd be much, much better if they used the new wordmark. The W logo is awful on the chest. Also, the font is terrible. It worked with the gold bevels, but not without them. It's a very thick, bulky font, which is the worst thing for them considering how thin and whispy the W and the Washington wordmark are. The numbers draw far more attention than what's on the chest. That's before you even get to the mess of the hats, the inconsistent piping, and the crappy red alt and the fact that they wear it half the time. The whole set's a disappointment.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

When will they next redesign the dugout jackets? How often do they make a change? I know it's not annually. thanks

I'm pretty sure it's every 2 or 3 years. Frankly I think the refreshes are getting worse every time and I hate the outer shell material they have been using the last several years.

I browsed over to the minorleagues.com website, which is newly redesigned and looks a lot better than the old site, and noticed it has "New Era 5050 Diamond Era Low Crown". It is first time I've heard a Diamond Era hat called a 5050, and it may be a slight error, since 9 and 0 are right next to each other.

Not sure what that means for game hats.

It's the first time I've seen on-field Diamond Era hats marked with low-crown designation. No pictures are available yet.

Looks like they are up and available for purchase now. I only see one for each team so a lot of the alternates aren't available yet.

On the chest logo vs script/lettering debate, holy crap somebody else remembers that 2003 Marlins alternate?!?!? I wanna think that jersey would've lasted at least a few years longer than it did if it'd been a vest, or they'd done more to differentiate it from the regular home jersey, but what do I know? :P Far as the Giants' road alt, reminds me of when I was little and they had Will Clark, so I'm a fan of it. They should never have added the placket piping to their regular grays too, but that's for another day.

Far as road pinstripes...you see teams who wear pinstripes at home but not on the road all the time. The Mets and Rockies use piping, the White Sox, Yankees and Phillies use cuffs, and the Cubs have both piping and solid gray. The late 90s Pirates are the only team I can think of in recent memory who wore pinstripes on the road, but not at home (bright white).

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On the chest logo vs script/lettering debate, holy crap somebody else remembers that 2003 Marlins alternate?!?!? I wanna think that jersey would've lasted at least a few years longer than it did if it'd been a vest, or they'd done more to differentiate it from the regular home jersey, but what do I know? :P

I remember it as one of the most pointless alts I'd ever seen.

B88R-GBIAAAZ7Ph.jpg

Sportslogos.net confirmed on twitter that it will be black with a new sleeve patch. It will NOT be a color swap of the current orange jerseys; it is more similar to the Bonds-era black, but not exactly the same. It will not be coming with a new cap.

No disrespect to Bergman, but I don't think I've ever seen a utility player get a patch.

9 seasons with the Tigers..member of the 1984 World Series team...and one of the most memorable moments of that season, a walk-off home run against the Blue Jays in June (an at-bat that Sparky Anderson called the greatest at-bat he'd ever seen in his life)...

Patch.

Ok, I'm officially jumping on the "Bring Back the Brown" movement. Those late 80's uniforms are beautiful and I can't wait to see them this season. Just, please, none of that Taco Bell crap.

Perfection!

Agreed. There is just something about how the brown and orange rest against the gray...

I don't know what it is...but that road uniform is great (and I tend to hate road pinstripes). I know if they'd kept the colors, they'd have something else now, but it would still be awesome.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

so with this...all three of MLB's orange & black teams will have a black jersey and an orange jersey. To compare (I don't feel like looking for pics, and I figure most of us know what these look like)

ORANGE

Orioles: black Orioles script with front number, name and number on back, all black with white outline. Mainly worn at home, though IIRC has been worn on road (albeit rarely). Black-orange-black piping around sleeves.

Giants: black Giants script with front number, just number on back, all lettering black with cream (or white, correct me if I'm off here) outline and gold shadow. Worn exclusively at home. Black piping around placket and sleeves.

Marlins: white Marlins wordmark mainly outlined in black, with leaping fish in between L and I, no front number. Black player name, black number outlined in white with that weird teal bright blue shadow. Worn home and away. IIRC, black piping around collar and sleeves

BLACK

Orioles: solid orange Orioles script and front number, solid orange player name and back number. Orange sleeve piping. Worn at home and away.

Marlins: white Miami wordmark mainly outlined in black and white, with leaping marlin over M, no front number. White player name on back with orange numbers, shadowed in black and outlined in white. White collar/sleeve piping IIRC. De facto road jersey.

Kinda hoping the Giants' effort uses cream lettering, or at least bears no resemblance to the Orioles' blacks.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived