MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would imagine this will make a lot of people here very happy. The Padres will wear brown pinstripe throwbacks for 5 Wednesday home games this season.

https://twitter.com/Padres/status/560560525122105344

B8eC02jCAAAGK7_.jpg

I'd take it BUT I prefer yellow to the orange. Orange and dark brown are too similar to the rival Giants.
Some of the early brown and golds look great, but these were such a guilty pleasure for me in 1985 (really guilty, thanks to what they did to the 1984 Cubs). Too bad the road pinstripes won't make an appearance. Loved the simplified cap, too.

This could be a great first step toward bringing back the brown.

You mean you're in phone.

seriously. What the hell does "on my phone" even mean?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Since this is the first time Ichiro switched leagues:

Would his permission grated to him by the AL president to wear his name as Ichiro at the beginning of his career carry over to the National League?

if not, who would be the one now, with the dissolution of the offices(besides the honourific ones) be the one to grant permission?

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Since this is the first time Ichiro switched leagues:

Would his permission grated to him by the AL president to wear his name as Ichiro at the beginning of his career carry over to the National League?

if not, who would be the one now, with the dissolution of the offices(besides the honourific ones) be the one to grant permission?

I don't know who granted permission, but it does say "ICHIRO".

B8fdXSMCAAAQVrt.jpg

p9HZTCk.jpg

Best indians cap ever. Unpopular opinion though. The cursive I looks so good.

Maybe it's just me, but I can see where that "I" looks like a "J"...and I hate it.

I have always heard that but every person I know who says that it looks like a "J" never learned cursive. It never looked like a "J" to me since that's not how it is written in cursive.

Go A's!

The League Presidents have been honorary positions for about twenty years, and they wouldn't get to make any actual decisions. So yes, Selig or someone under him decided back then that Ichiro could wear his first name, and he didn't need to seek re-approval now.

I honestly thought Ichiro had started play before the 2000 season, when the AL and NL had real presidents with power, but I am wrong(he started 2 years after, in 2001) so it wouldnt matter

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I browsed over to the minorleagues.com website, which is newly redesigned and looks a lot better than the old site, and noticed it has "New Era 5050 Diamond Era Low Crown". It is first time I've heard a Diamond Era hat called a 5050, and it may be a slight error, since 9 and 0 are right next to each other.

Not sure what that means for game hats.

It's the first time I've seen on-field Diamond Era hats marked with low-crown designation. No pictures are available yet.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Padres brown and yellow > Padres brown and orange

Also, I don't like when teams use Monograms on the road. Road uniforms should pretty much always feature the name of the city. It seems odd to provide the fans you're visiting with less information.

And the only team I liked in road pinstripes was the Twins. The Rockies, Reds from 1993-1998, this iteration of the Padres, and probably some others I'm forgetting didn't look as good. Especially the Reds who thought red pinstripes on gray was a good idea.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I browsed over to the minorleagues.com website, which is newly redesigned and looks a lot better than the old site, and noticed it has "New Era 5050 Diamond Era Low Crown". It is first time I've heard a Diamond Era hat called a 5050, and it may be a slight error, since 9 and 0 are right next to each other.

It's the first time I've seen on-field Diamond Era hats marked with low-crown designation. No pictures are available yet.

When you click on it, the title of the next page says 5950, so its just an typo

Padres brown and yellow > Padres brown and orange

Also, I don't like when teams use Monograms on the road. Road uniforms should pretty much always feature the name of the city. It seems odd to provide the fans you're visiting with less information.

And the only team I liked in road pinstripes was the Twins. The Rockies, Reds from 1993-1998, this iteration of the Padres, and probably some others I'm forgetting didn't look as good. Especially the Reds who thought red pinstripes on gray was a good idea.

I agree with everything about this post. I HATE monograms on the road (or at home). The jersey front is a wide space to expand upon your identity. Teams should make better use of it than just slapping the cap logo there. The Yankees and Tigers are exempt, and I guess the White Sox too, but every other team putting a cap logo on the jersey is half-assing it. Arizona picked a crappy name which almost necessitates putting the cap logo on the chest, but I still think it would be better for them to use the inaugural home wordmark and own their silly name, rather than just using the cap logo. No, the current "D-backs" wordmark is not a good solution.

I liked all of those road sets (the Padres one least of all), and I also really liked the short-lived Pirates pinstriped roads. I realize that they didn't fit into the Pirates' identity and were completely wrong for them, but they looked good, at least. Plus, DAT GRAY HAT (which didn't match the pinstriped jersey but whatever.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I mostly agree but don't mind a few deviations. Where do you stand on the Cubs and Reds? Those aren't cap logos, per se, but are similar. I don't like it as a lazy alternate: the old Marlins, Rockies, Twins, the Giants' road alternates (which should never happen). I think the Expos' scripts were better than the standalone swirly M.

As usual, I think I'm happy grandfathering in the teams who have been doing it forever, but can't get behind it on new uniforms. The Nationals are a perfect example, abandoning a well-designed identity, albeit one that had been chipped away at from day one, just to keep playing up the Curly W from a failed expansion team.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's especially egregious in the case of the Nationals, because they had this option with their gorgeous new wordmark:

NationalsPrototypeFront.jpg

So much better than the dreck they chose.

tumblr_mlzgti8ryT1rge74zo1_500.jpg

Interestingly, the script on that prototype is not the same wordmark that they use now.

v2jxordr9a9ku4grq0dj3zy2o.gif

Notice changes in the "o" and "s", especially. The prototype is actually much more consistent with the road wordmark.

When you click on it, the title of the next page says 5950, so its just an typo

It says spring 2015. It's coming soon.

Archived