Uniforms you are Surprised are Still Around

OnWis97

As is always the case with these kinds of threads: uniformsidontlike.jpg".

Anyway, four pages in & how have these not been brought up??

Bengals_display_image.png

Screen+Shot+2013-03-03+at+11.16.12+AM.pn

Hard to believe these have been around unchanged (save for the Nikelace) for a solid decade now. At the very least, I figured they'd have modified if not outright changed the numbers (or at least eliminated the drop shadow). In any case, even straightening out that pants stripe would do wonders to help this look--but I can't for the life of me understand how this still exists.

(Then again, given what passes for "modern innovation" these days, I suppose these may be somewhat tame by comparison.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just came here to mention the Brewers. Do they not realize how silly it makes them look to have a stadium full of fans wearing different colors than the actual team on most nights? Its not like they've won a pennant with the current look, or even been to the playoffs more times with it than during the BiG era; and even then, the throwback inspired look was part of the team's identity in 2008 and 2011.

I just came here to mention the Brewers. Do they not realize how silly it makes them look to have a stadium full of fans wearing different colors than the actual team on most nights? Its not like they've won a pennant with the current look, or even been to the playoffs more times with it than during the BiG era; and even then, the throwback inspired look was part of the team's identity in 2008 and 2011.

The Brewers have a good look, I believe, but it's clear that the fanbase would prefer the ballglove days to return.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I've long pondered about the viability of some type of mash up between the Brewers' current set with the Motre Bameness of the mid to late '90s. Take the best parts of each--the scripts and barley of the current, something reminiscent of the numbers from the former...With a blue somewhere between the old royal and the current navy--or maybe even a lighter blue, something akin to the old Washington Capitals/Wizards blue, paired with a bronzer gold/tan/tawny type color, almost akin to the shade seen on all the new bridge work going up in and around Milwaukee (which let me say now with as often as I got through there, Milwaukee has done/is doing a helluva nice job dressing the place up infrastructure-wise--really enhances the "artsiness" of Milwaukee not to mention gives motorists something really a esthetically pleasing to look at while driving in/around/through the area; hell even the Greyhound bus station looks better than half the cities I travel through on a routine basis).

Oh and...I'm sure a new BiG logo could be re -purposed for said mash-up as well....

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I grew up in southern ky which is Titan tv territory so I've been exposed to them since their move to TN. I'm sitting here watching them wear their away unis at home against the cowboys and think they look pretty good. The cowboys in blue look better but the titans in white/white/navy look good too. I find their number font kinda nostalgic at this point. I think some tweaks could be made but wholesale changes shouldn't be. You can't establish a history or iconic look if you're always changing. I will say the picture posted and reposted above looks awful. I think the color temperature is a little off in that pic maybe but still probably just a bad combo. Perhaps a return to the McNair era might do the trick with some small tweaks. Leave the unique numbers alone. Btw I'm not a Titan fan.

Whoever said white sox wins the thread. Their whole gimmick was gimmicks, including changing uniforms every two or three years. I remember SI doing a story about it and showing drawings of each of the million uniforms they had (1989 or 1990 I think - whichever baseball preview had Benito Santiago on the cover).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

One uniform that I'm honestly very surprised it's still around is the Boston Bruins' third jersey. It isn't a bad jersey, but, when the Bruins wore their Winter Classic Jerseys, I know that they were extremely popular and rightfully so. I remember hearing a lot of people saying that it should have become the new third jersey and the truth is, I still occasionally hear that and I quite agree with them. Actually, now that I think about it, there's one more team I'm surprised they haven't made a change. That team for me is the Columbus Blue Jackets. After seven years in their current set, (Minus the third jersey.) I'm shocked that they haven't even made a small update to their uniforms. You would think that by now, they would have at least added some waist stripes to them. Their identity has never been anything special to begin with and for that, I'm shocked that they haven't made some attempt to change that by now. I'm even surprised that their third jersey hasn't been replaced with something else. It isn't anything special either.

Carolina Panthers are the only answer to this question. They even survived a logo change.

Especially considering that changed happened during the Nike years, and their name leads to some much potential "creativity" (gimmicks)

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

Hard to believe these have been around unchanged (save for the Nikelace) for a solid decade now. At the very least, I figured they'd have modified if not outright changed the numbers (or at least eliminated the drop shadow). In any case, even straightening out that pants stripe would do wonders to help this look--but I can't for the life of me understand how this still exists.

(Then again, given what passes for "modern innovation" these days, I suppose these may be somewhat tame by comparison.)

Agree 100%. I thought they would have at least ditched the contrasting side panel on the jersey by now as well.

Came into the thread to post these. They're actually in season 11 of this uniform, which means these tiger costumes have gotten more airtime than Friends.

When they debuted in 2004 I hated everything about them. All you to know about the design process for these is that Chad Johnson Ochocinco was involved, which explains why they look the way they do. He's been gone since 2010 and we're still here wearing these silly uniforms. I still don't like them, but I've learned to live with them and accept small victories like that they've started wearing orange socks with the all white look and that they stopped wearing black pants with the orange jerseys.

GROSS

Deltha-O-Neal.jpg

I'm also afraid of what Nike would do them so perhaps it's best to carry on with what they've got. I see what they did to Tampa, even what they did to Seattle and I say no thanks. But if you had asked me in 2004 how long the Bengals would be wearing these uniforms I probably would've said no longer than five or six years.

The real crime is they've worn these four seasons longer than they wore the classically-modern update of the super bowl uniforms.

120197dillon_427x500.jpg

A life cut short by bad decision making. If they had hung on for two more years these uniforms would've experienced the turn-around, and a division championship and who knows they might still be wearing them. I was even okay with the two game black pants look as that was a refreshing update to the set.

p1_johnson_rudi.jpg

I'm just holding out hope now that when they do change they decide to go minimalist and use their past as a point of reference like Minnesota rather than going full Tampa.

PvO6ZWJ.png

A life cut short by bad decision making. If they had hung on for two more years these uniforms would've experienced the turn-around, and a division championship and who knows they might still be wearing them. I was even okay with the two game black pants look as that was a refreshing update to the set.

p1_johnson_rudi.jpg

I'm just holding out hope now that when they do change they decide to go minimalist and use their past as a point of reference rather than going full Tampa.

Damn I love those jerseys. I really like the white outline around the tiger. I can't imagine how anyone could like their current set over these.

90758391980.gif

I liked the earlier iteration of those Bengals uniforms better. The tiger striping was great but I thought adding a tiger to tiger striping was overkill. Nevertheless, it was still top 3 without question.

(I also think that the original striped uniforms had slightly thinner stripes, which I prefer; it allowed for more stripes, which I felt better-showed what they were going for).

In any case, 1981 to 2003 (or whatever) was a great time for the Bengals. I took two things from McCarthy's post. First, I cannot believe that crap has been around for 11 years. Time flies when you are old. Second, they will change some day. And while they cannot go back to a non-proprietary font (that will never happen in sports again), I hope they find a way to go more "VIkings" than "Bucs." It's hard to imagine that they could actually make it worse but who knows.

And I really think they'll keep the helmet intact. Though the NFL could use another cat head logo on a "kewl" helmet.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I wouldn't mind seeing the Eagles go back to Kelly Green either. Also the Brewers should to go back to the 80s colors.

I highly doubt the Brewers will go back to those as they have a good thing going with their current set. Although they mainly use the navy and metallic gold, they also use their royal blue and gold as throwbacks. Not to mention that their team stores sell both current AND past merchandise equally so it's technically a win-win for "modernist" and "traditionalist".

Naw you got it backwards, go with the 80s logo and the modern colors ;)

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

player_was___taylor_by_verasthebrujah-d9

Archived