2014 Bowl Game Logo Changes & New Bowls

GeauxColonels

I'm sorry, but I'm probably still gonna call the Peach Bowl the Chick-fil-A bowl. It's mainly because, ever since I started watching college football, that's been the name. I will probably call it by its proper name down the road, though. Just gonna take some time to get used to it.

It was only the Chick-fil-a bowl for 8 years. I'm guessing the Citrus Bowl will forever be the Capital One Bowl for you too? I'm glad these wrongs have been corrected. Now if we could only get the Gator Bowl back.

Yeah the Gator Bowl being called the Taxslayer Bowl is beyond ridiculous.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, we've got three reversions over this past season:

1. The Advocare V100 Bowl is the Independence Bowl again after AV100 dropped their sponsorship (moved to the Texas Bowl) and Duck Commander bought the naming rights-the Robertsons being such sticklers for American tradition, they decided to bring the name back themselves.
2. The Chick-fil-A Bowl is the Peach Bowl again because of them joining the College Football Playoff rotation.
3. Ditto for the CapitalOne Bowl being the Citrus Bowl again, with CapitalOne switching sponsorship to the Orange Bowl and the organizers wanting to get in the CFP rotation someday.
4. Depending on how ambitious Jacksonville feels, it may only be a matter of time...

bYhYmxh.png

So, we've got three reversions over this past season:

1. The Advocare V100 Bowl is the Independence Bowl again after AV100 dropped their sponsorship (moved to the Texas Bowl) and Duck Commander bought the naming rights-the Robertsons being such sticklers for American tradition, they decided to bring the name back themselves.

2. The Chick-fil-A Bowl is the Peach Bowl again because of them joining the College Football Playoff rotation.

3. Ditto for the CapitalOne Bowl being the Citrus Bowl again, with CapitalOne switching sponsorship to the Orange Bowl and the organizers wanting to get in the CFP rotation someday.

4. Depending on how ambitious Jacksonville feels, it may only be a matter of time...

5-10 years ago as a sponsor you could make the argument that you wanted to showcase your brand above all else so pay to have the entire bowl name to yourself. Unfortunately give the transient nature of the sponsorship $$$ among the 2nd tier bowls it became an easy target for media mockery and overall malaise. From a fan perspective I think it also created a lack of enthusiasm and inetest, to watch your team play in a helicopter bowl or random.com bowl. Having a consistent name gives at least some illusion of consistent tradition and prestige. Obviously the big bowls and the now wanna-be playoff sites are getting in on that action by either bringing back solid traditional bowl names or adopting them. It gives off a more established image.

These sponsorships are changing too damn fast...didn't they just have the rose bowl for 2-3 years? I think it was att before that. Now apparently northwestern mutual has the rb. If it's going to be rotating this frequently the sponsors have to be left off the bowl names and logos but I doubt that will actually happen.

Sugar Bowl (Allstate) is the only "New Year's Six" bowl to keep it's name the same from last year to this year.

Peach Bowl went from Chick-fil-a Bowl to Chick-fil-a Peach Bowl.

Cotton Bowl went from AT&T to Goodyear.

Rose Bowl went from Vizio to Northwestern Mutual.

Fiesta Bowl went from Tostitos to Vizio.

Orange Bowl went from Discover to Capital One.

These sponsorships are changing too damn fast...didn't they just have the rose bowl for 2-3 years? I think it was att before that. Now apparently northwestern mutual has the rb. If it's going to be rotating this frequently the sponsors have to be left off the bowl names and logos but I doubt that will actually happen.

What's more, how do you end your sponsorship of the Grandaddy of 'em All for the CFP game most likely to lose its certification...I suppose the former wanted too much money.

bYhYmxh.png

• 2 weeks later...

Someday we will have ALL normal sounding bowls like Copper Bowl, etc. The 'Corporation XYZ' Bowls are horrible.

No we won't. Too much money at stake.

It was really wishful thinking. But I just don't like the bowls that are solely named after the sponsor. I don't mind the Taxslayer Gator Bowl as much as I mind the Taxslayer Bowl.

• 4 weeks later...

Someday we will have ALL normal sounding bowls like Copper Bowl, etc. The 'Corporation XYZ' Bowls are horrible.

That day has come and gone, sadly. In a world where nearly 40 Bowl Games exist and the NCAA mandates a minimum payout of $1.5 million by their organizing committees just to ensure two qualifying teams show up and play, gate attendance isn't enough to be self-sustaining. Meanwhile the "big six" need the sponsors so they can lay out the huge money each year, the Rose Bowl being the last among them to really holdout from corporate whoring.

What I'm surprised about is the relatively short length of sponsorship contracts. Except for Outback's sponsorship of the All-American Bowl (yeah, I know) and maybe two or three others, the average sponsorship deal seems to be 2-4 years. I'd think it'd be in the interests of both the bowl organizers and sponsors alike to lock in more long-term arrangements, so as to garner real value from the branding: 10, 15 years.

On the other hand, the Gator Bowl will always be the Gator Bowl to me, and I'll always see the TicketCity Cactus Bowl as the Copper Bowl. So...

nav-logo.png

Archived