2014 NCAA Football Thread

Chicageaux

Guys, I have a question...During the Oregon vs Utah game, when the Utah player fumbled the ball and Oregon picked it up and ran it back for a TD, was the right call made on the field? I watched the replay this morning and it occurred to me that the Oregon player that picked up the ball ran out of bounds and I thought the rule stated that a player could run out of bounds, but could not be the first person to touch the ball in play. If that is the rule, then am I right in saying the wrong call was made Saturday night?

spacer.png

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, I have a question...During the Oregon vs Utah game, when the Utah player fumbled the ball and Oregon picked it up and ran it back for a TD, was the right call made on the field? I watched the replay this morning and it occurred to me that the Oregon player that picked up the ball ran out of bounds and I thought the rule stated that a player could run out of bounds, but could not be the first person to touch the ball in play. If that is the rule, then am I right in saying the wrong call was made Saturday night?

It is not true. The play was officiated correctly.

"Illegal Touching" does not apply to any fumble.

Rule 2, Section 2, Article 3b

Wow, Duke has quietly gone 8-1.

Well they do have quiet an easy schedule, they lost to Miami, and their only quality win was against Georgia Tech.

Duke has more wins since the start of the 2012 than Michigan, USC, Texas, and Florida.

If Cutcliffe weren't old, he'd be the biggest candidate for a big-time program.....

Now that the college playoffs are beginning to narrow out and the football season in general is coming to a close, I will be making weekly picks for all top 25 teams and for the CFP, feel free to disagree and say your picks, note that I am using the AP Poll

Virginia Tech over 19.Duke

18.Clemson over 24.Georgia Tech

8.Ohio State over Minnesota

5.TCU over Kansas

22.Wisconsin over 11.Nebraska

17.Arizona over Washington

4.Alabama over 1.Mississippi State

15.Notre Dame over Northwestern

25.Utah over Stanford

9.Auburn over 16.Georgia

12.Michigan State over Maryland

Miami(FL) over 2.Florida State*

20.LSU over Arkansas

7.Arizona State over Oregon State

21.Marshall over Rice

Sugar Bowl

1.Oregon vs. 4.TCU

2.Alabama vs. 3.Baylor

Now that the college playoffs are beginning to narrow out and the football season in general is coming to a close, I will be making weekly picks for all top 25 teams and for the CFP, feel free to disagree and say your picks, note that I am using the AP Poll

5.TCU over Kansas

25.Utah over Stanford

9.Auburn over 16.Georgia

20.LSU over Arkansas

21.Marshall over Rice

Sugar Bowl

1.Oregon vs. 4.TCU

2.Alabama vs. 3.Baylor

There's no reason for this to be its own thread. Merged with the NCAA Football thread.

Just a thought...

3 Oregon played 7 Michigan State, at Autzen Stadium, Eugene, OR

Michigan State ends up losing on the road, after leading late into the 3rd quarter, after Michigan State has 2 unforced turnovers.

14 Ohio State played 8 Michigan State, at Spartan Stadium, East Lansing, MI

Michigan State ends up losing at home, despite forcing 2 turnovers.

Could one make a case that Ohio State could/should be ranked higher that Oregon?

Just a thought...

Michigan State ends up losing on the road, after leading late into the 3rd quarter, after Michigan State has 2 unforced turnovers.

Could one make a case that Ohio State could/should be ranked higher that Oregon?

No, that loss to Virginia Tech really hurt them.

Just a thought...

Sure it does... but the best team in the PAC and best team in the B1G played a common opponent, and the B1G team had arguably a much more impressive win... dominating 3+ quarters opposed to Oregon's 1 quarter of dominance.

That being said, if you want to look at the Virginia Tech game... Ohio State was starting a TRUE freshman, in only his second collegiate game, with less than 2 weeks to prepare (Miller's injury wasn't announced until days before the Navy game), in prime time, in front of 115,000 people, with an offensive line that was completely overhauled from the year before.

Sorry, but I'm not putting my money on Oregon, Utah, Arizona State and Arizona over Ohio State, Michigan State, Nebraska, and Wisconsin.

Just a thought...

Sure it does... but the best team in the PAC and best team in the B1G played a common opponent, and the B1G team had arguably a much more impressive win... dominating 3+ quarters opposed to Oregon's 1 quarter of dominance.

That being said, if you want to look at the Virginia Tech game... Ohio State was starting a TRUE freshman, in only his second collegiate game, with less than 2 weeks to prepare (Miller's injury wasn't announced until days before the Navy game), in prime time, in front of 115,000 people, with an offensive line that was completely overhauled from the year before.

Sorry, but I'm not putting my money on Oregon, Utah, Arizona State and Arizona over Ohio State, Michigan State, Nebraska, and Wisconsin.

The Transitive Property does not apply to sport.

Just a thought...

The Transitive Property does not apply to sport.

Yet its used every week to rank teams...

Just a thought...

Dude, I'd love to defend my team. But that was an awful loss by Ohio State, while Oregon's may still be bad, it was still to a ranked opponent. Those two games were completely different, Oregon let Arizona hang around in the fourth quarter, and ended up losing to a (decent) team. Virginia Tech dominated Ohio State, they lead the entire game. Ohio State had so many possessions in that game where their line couldn't hold up, or Barrett couldn't beat the Tech secondary. This occurred at home in front of a record crowd to a now 4-5 team.

Also, Oregon did basically the same thing to Michigan State that Ohio State did. Oregon's game was close for 3 quarters (Michigan State only lead in the second) and they pulled away in the fourth. Ohio State pulled ahead in the second, and it stayed a two-score game from there. Oregon happened to win by 19, Ohio State won by only 12.

What's Ohio State's best win besides Michigan State? At Maryland? The teams that Ohio State has beaten have a combined record of 30-32, and none of them have been ranked opponents. Oregon has dominated two ranked opponents on the road. The teams that Oregon have beaten have a combined record of 39-38, not great, but better than Ohio State's opponents. Oregon has also played a much tougher schedule, Washington, Stanford, and Cal are equally as good as Maryland, Rutgers, and Penn State. The PAC-12 is also a much better conference from top to bottom than the Big Ten.

Oregon has 2 more wins over ranked opponents, played a tougher schedule, and has a better loss than Ohio State, and played Michigan State on the same level as Ohio State has. Your "little engine that could" Big Ten has no hope for the playoff anymore.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

5.TCU over Kansas

25.Utah over Stanford

9.Auburn over 16.Georgia

20.LSU over Arkansas

21.Marshall over Rice

Sugar Bowl

1.Oregon vs. 4.TCU

2.Alabama vs. 3.Baylor

There's no reason for this to be its own thread. Merged with the NCAA Football thread.

good with me

Not a surprise that Oregon leapfrogged Florida State in the playoff rankings. TCU is surprisingly the 4th spot. I really thought that Alabama would be in that last spot. A little side question, does anyone know what font ESPN uses for the college football graphics?

Angry Husker Fan Whose Upset Because His Team Dropped Even Tough They've Beat Nobody Good Mini-Rant Below.

My huskers are ranked 16th, 1 spot ahead of an LSU team that lost and dropped one spot. Nebraska had a bye and dropped 3 spots. The rest of the poll is a steaming pile of dogcrap. The BCS may have been better than this. Holy :censored:.

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

1002680_865779656799665_4033619652685119

---

Florida State finally dropped a spot and its more than warranted. Reigning national champ, undefeated, etc, but they haven't been nearly as impressive as last year or as some teams this year. That's good with me.

I figured they'd push TCU ahead of Alabama because of margin of victory and they beat an opponent of higher ranking. And it's great that Baylor finally moved up a bit, but if Baylor wins out and is still behind TCU at the end of the year, that's a crime. If Baylor and TCU have the same record and Baylor beat TCU, Baylor is the Big 12 champ. I hope that would push them ahead of TCU, but I don't know how they could justify having a 2nd place team in the playoff when the 1st place team isn't. Nothing against TCU, but that's how this should work.

Arizona State/Ohio State/Auburn all kind of fell where they should be. (Although the Auburn/Ole Miss ranking further backs up my TCU/Baylor argument, but whatever you say, committee)

UCLA is #11? No. Georgia redeemed themselves. Nebraska moving down like that is suspect, but like I said previously, that's probably a more proper ranking for them. I'm amazed at Utah's staying power in the rankings. I like their game, but they continue to stick around despite losses. Welcome back Texas A&M. Minnesota coming into the rankings is another potential notch for Ohio State. That'll help the Buckeyes in their attempt to backdoor into the playoff.

All in all, I like these rankings. They work for me.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I think Baylor would move ahead of TCU if both teams win out and Baylor takes the Big 12 title. Baylor adds another quality win in this scenario (K-State, assuming they don't fall off) and Baylor has performed better against common opponent (Oklahoma). And they would have head-to-head and conference championship, which the committee said is very important. There's no way TCU gets in ahead of Baylor if all that happens. I don't necessarily think Baylor is better than TCU, because they had home-field advantage, and with a scoreline of 61-58, you have to think that Baylor was just the team ahead when the clock hit zero.

It'll all play itself out. Alabama and Florida State fans have no reason to worry, if Mississippi State beats Alabama, then the SEC will likely get one unless all hell breaks lose (it may very well). If Arizona State and Oregon win out and meet in the PAC-12 championship, that's another elimination game. At this point, I think a one-loss conference champion would get in over a one-loss Mississippi State, except for maybe the Big Ten champion. I'm loving this playoff already.

My Playoff Predictions:

1. Mississippi St. (13-0, SEC Champ)

2. Oregon (12-1, PAC-12 Champ)

3. Florida St. (13-0, ACC Champ)

4. Baylor (11-1, Big 12 Champ)

Outside looking In:

5. TCU (11-1)

6. Ohio State (12-1, Big Ten Champ)

"New Year's Day" Bowls

Peach: Auburn (10-2) vs. Ohio State (12-1, Big Ten Champ)

Fiesta: Arizona St. (11-2) vs. Michigan St. (10-2)

Orange: Clemson (10-2) vs. Notre Dame (10-2)

Cotton: TCU (11-1) vs. Marshall (13-0)

EDIT: Fixed. Thanks ESPN.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Archived