2014 NCAA Football Thread

Chicageaux

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, why not just continue the old BCS ranking system? At least they'd've RANKED Marshall. (and would've had FSU as the clear #1)

SHUT UP ABOUT MARSHALL

Christ. I don't they've played anyone ranked higher than 80 in the national efficiency ratings.

If they win out they'll get their big bowl bid. And get pawned by the 3rd place team in the SEC West in said big bowl game, because they aren't that good.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Playoff Commitee top 4:

1. Alabama

2. Oregon

3. FSU

4. Mississippi State

5. TCU

6. Ohio St.

7. Baylor

8. Ole Miss

9. UCLA

10. UGA

Surprised Bama jumped Oregon for the #1 spot. Extremely happy Mississippi State got the #4 spot.

They honestly deserved it. Everyone else has one loss, and they lost to the number one team on the road by five points, that's about as good of a loss as you could have. They had every right to be ahead of TCU (Struggled against Kansas, should be behind Baylor), Ohio State (Was dominated by a 5-5 VA Tech team at home), and Baylor (bad loss to West Virginia that wasn't close). Hell, if you're going to let Alabama and Oregon ahead of FSU, there could probably be a case for Mississippi State as well.

Also, the committee still won't flip TCU and Baylor, and everyone's favorite UCLA Bruins are back in the Top 10.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

10329054_869496983094599_729049764573193

----

Everything is pretty much where I expected it to be. No real complaints.

I've already made my arguments against UCLA, but again, based on the shuffling, I guess that's where they have to be right now. Nice to see USC and Missouri back in the rankings, but I didn't think USC would jump that far back in. I'm also a little surprised that Clemson didn't fall out.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I would give my complaints...but they all fall on deaf ears. As long as people keep drinking the "strength of schedule" Kool-aid, it'll be like this.

This will be my VERY last statement on this issue:

missmeyetbcs_zps36e0a218.png

bYhYmxh.png

Seriously, why are you so concerned that Marshall isn't ranked? As long as they finish undefeated, they'll be picked as the Group of 5 representative and play in the Fiesta/Cotton/Peach/Orange Bowl on New Year's.

They aren't ranked because they have played NO ONE. When Boise State and TCU and Utah were busting the BCS, they were still playing teams with some level of quality. And even with the BCS, Marshall wouldn't have been in National Championship contention this year.

The endgame would still be the same for Marshall this year, with or without the Playoff or BCS. It just won't have a little number next to its name.

Seriously, why are you so concerned that Marshall isn't ranked? As long as they finish undefeated, they'll be picked as the Group of 5 representative and play in the Fiesta/Cotton/Peach/Orange Bowl on New Year's.

Honestly, that's debatable. The committee has clearly demonstrated that SOS matters even more than your record, and the two MWC teams in the access bowl picture have played much tougher schedules than Marshall.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I'm also a little surprised that Clemson didn't fall out.

I have no clue why they are in there. My only guess is that the Watson injury allowing him to play again this season keeps them a top team. I'm not complaining, but if he was going to be out the whole year, Clemson would not be in the rankings.

Or maybe Dan Radakovich is bribing everyone in there, one or the other.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Honestly, that's debatable. The committee has clearly demonstrated that SOS matters even more than your record, and the two MWC teams in the access bowl picture have played much tougher schedules than Marshall.

Agreed. Boise State and CSU are better than Marshall. Speaking of CSU, I'd really like to see Jim McElwain in Gainesville next season but I think for not being a big hire, his buyout is too much for a non sure thing. But if you've seen what he's done with Grayson at CSU, the man can coach.

IUe6Hvh.png

This will be my VERY last statement on this issue:

And I'm going to hold you to it. Please, stop beating the dead horse.

If the BCS was still around, they'd be in that barren wasteland that Northern Illinois was in and a few other MAC schools have been a win away from — get highly-ranked to play the worst power-five team that's there in a game that nobody cares about. Yawn.

Marshall should've known it was going to be good. And begged every school in the preseason top 10 or 15 to play them. Tell Ohio State or Ole Miss that you'll play them for free. Give yourself a chance.

6fQjS3M.png

Marshall should've known it was going to be good. And begged every school in the preseason top 10 or 15 to play them. Tell Ohio State or Ole Miss that you'll play them for free. Give yourself a chance.

When do you think Marshall should have known it was going to be good?

-Baylor should be ahead of TCU

-Marshall's strength of schedule is ridiculously bad. There are FCS teams with tougher schedules.

-I think the rankings are pretty good. I just hope that Mississippi State loses another game so the SEC doesn't get two teams in. Hopefully that happens and a Baylor win over K-State has them jump up to #4. Ohio State better not sneak into the playoffs. I don't want to see the Big Ten get embarrassed in the playoffs this year.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

-Marshall's strength of schedule is ridiculously bad. There are FCS teams with tougher schedules.

-I think the rankings are pretty good. I just hope that Mississippi State loses another game so the SEC doesn't get two teams in. Hopefully that happens and a Baylor win over K-State has them jump up to #4. Ohio State better not sneak into the playoffs. I don't want to see the Big Ten get embarrassed in the playoffs this year.

Honestly I want OSU to make the Playoffs. I think they'd do better than people think. I'm sure by now, we all know that loss to VT was a fluke, and now they have the potential to blow them out by 30 or more. But I DO have to agree with you about not wanting two SEC teams in it.

Sorry to do it, but here is my projected Playoff:

1. Alabama

2. Oregon

3. Florida State

4. Baylor

5. Ohio State

6. TCU

SIDE NOTE: Just imagine the uniform match-up of an Oregon vs Baylor championship game. :shocked:

What the :censored: is "game control" and why is it being used as a playoff metric?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Even though it is head-to-head, a one game sample size to determine who is better is what the Committee is trying to get away from.

The Texas team who Baylor defeated is not a good as the Texas team which TCU will play next week. And the Committee could end up with WVU team being equal to the VT team which tOSU lost too in terms of record, as both teams could end at 7-5.

As far as the teams playing the best today, Buckeye is playing better than both Big XII teams.

What the :censored: is "game control" and why is it being used as a playoff metric?

FWIW...

"As with going from basic W-L to Strength of Record, each teams average in-game win probability gets translated to Game Control based on how hard it would be for a top team to achieve it, given the schedule. Game Control also ends up on a 0-to-100 scale, measuring how well a team controlled games from start to finish, accounting for the difficulty of the games it has played to date."

Basically, the committee asked for metrics and ESPN developed them.

"Game control - Reflects chance that an average Top 25 team would control games from start to end the way this team did, given the schedule."

Archived