2014 NCAA Football Thread

Chicageaux

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the season isn't over yet, but I'll just get it out now so I can watch my team lose to their arch-rival and end a 20-year bowl streak in person. Spoilered for length and the fact that no one probably cares.

Michael Brewer flat-out sucks. He's a poor man's Tony Romo. He misses several throws akin to that of a Logan Thomas. He often causes turnovers trying to make the big plays for the offense, but you really can't blame him because somebody's gotta make a play. And he also does this weird crap where he can escape some sacks and pickup 5 yards, or lose 20 trying. Not counting those 3-5 god-awful decisions he makes on a surprising per-game basis. He was awesome in the Ohio State game, he made plays to win the game, that's what he should be doing now. Instead he's dragging our team down in the Coastal cellar (a surprisingly hard position to maintain) with him. Yet the coaching staff is too enamored with him to ever consider changing to a fifth-year senior who knows the playbook? A dynamic sophomore that was impressive in the spring and is a very effective runner? Nope.

The running game flat-out sucks. But it's not the backs' fault. It doesn't help that they're all injured, but we still have talented guys in the backfield. It's the freaking Line. The Line sucks, can't protect the QB when it counts, can't get the backs holes to run through. Barry Sanders in his heyday would have a hell of a time running behind this line. Part of it may be the lack of experience, but these guys just simply aren't that good. They're the same bunch that took the field against William & Mary. They haven't improved at all, they commit stupid penalties all the damn time. And nothing changes. You'd expect them to be better-coached, and improve as the season goes along. No such can be found here.

The receivers are promising, but who's going to get them the football? Isaiah Ford broke most of our freshman receiving record despite having a surprisingly average season, 6 TD's really isn't that special, but you have to worship that stat up here. The defense is awesome. Bud Foster is an awesome coach, one of the few guys left here who knows how to still coach. How he hasn't left this :censored:hole yet is beyond me. And for once, the special teams is ok, we can rely on our kicker (even though he blew us the game, but that wasn't his fault, if Brewer could learn to take a sack and learn to not lose 10 more yards trying to make a play). And A.J. Hughes is a pretty solid punter because, well, he's had a lot of practice.

It's mainly the coaching though. This team continues to play up (or down) to the level of their opponents, which is pretty good when you're playing Ohio State. I'd argue Miami and UNC are probably about on the same talent level as us, but then again, we played UNC long before they figured everything out (and they still gave us a game) and were completely dominated by Miami at home. Against everyone else we've had the superior talent, yet every game is closer than it needs to be, why is this team hanging around with Wake Forest? It wasn't just a Florida State-style first-quarter slump, it was the whole damn game our team couldn't do a thing. Every other game has been close, but we've found a way to blow it late, except with Duke. Which was practically a miracle anyway since All-ACC kicker Ross Martin missed 2 field goals to give us the one point-win. It's not like this has just started happening this year, it's really been a prevalent thing the past 4-5 years, it's just the severity of it that has changed. We used to find a way to win these games, should've played better, but at least we were winning games. Now, you can't even beat a 2-8 Wake Forest squad, it's not worth noting that was a road game because it wasn't, the stadium had a lot Tech fans in it.

I appreciate what Frank Beamer has done for this program, he took a 2-3 win team to a ACC powerhouse, and a team that's made a bowl game a norm for 2 decades. But the team has consistently played worse over the past few years, but the talent level is still about the same (but don't expect it to stay the same for long though). yet we're getting worse and worse. At some point you have to point the finger at the coaching staff for not getting these guys to play up to their talent. Frank Beamer shouldn't be on the hot seat for a lot of reasons, but he should be for a few others, and it's not just him either. Bryan Stinespring was an awful offensive coordinator, even though he's not calling the plays anymore, he still doesn't deserve a job. No Tech quarterback since Michael Vick has ever played up to their potential, 5-star QB Tyrod Taylor was a 6th-round draft pick despite playing all four years. Logan Thomas was rated as one of the top quarterbacks for the draft and Heisman after his successful sophomore season, yet he regressed significantly in his final two years. Shane Beamer may have great coaching blood, but that's about it. The running game has been anemic (I'm not even sure if it's been that) since he's become the backs coach. I really hope Frank Beamer doesn't turn into a Joe Paterno and becoming oblivious to realizing that he probably shouldn't be coaching. He should probably consider hanging it up sometime soon, as it's become painfully obvious that he's not the coach he once was.

Transitive Property: Wake can beat Ohio State.

Yep, how embarrassing it must be for an Buckeye fan. And it's not like Tech let Wake hang around and they ended up winning, Wake Forest should have won a lot earlier had it not been for three missed field goals.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Well Melvin Gordon's record of rushing yards in a game lasted a week. Broken by Samaje Perine, a freshman from OU. Who did he break it against? Only against a crappy KU team that played well against TCU for some reason.

Yes...that was fun while it lasted

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Why is Golson still playing?

FUN FACT: Yesterday I received two free tickets from a season-ticket-holder to today's ND-Louisville game, and decided not to go. It'd be a long day, it's wet, and it will likely end in disappointment. Offered other people the tickets, and nobody took them. So now there's two fancy plastic tickets sitting on the table, and they're probably just as glad as I am that they aren't sitting through such a crappy performance.

spacer.png

Well, I guess that was fun watching Illinois suck less than Penn State. Rivalry game next week for bowl eligibility. I'm kind of conflicted about what I want to happen. I think it's better long-term if they lose so they can fire Beckman. But it's impossible to cheer for a loss, especially against that directional school.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Morgan State molly-whopps Delaware State 69-7. (Yes, you're reading that correctly!)

South Carolina State helped us clinch the MEAC AQ tiebreaker win by beating Norfolk State 30-20.

Coach Hull left Maryland last year as a Defensive Coordinator to be our head ball coach. This would not have been possible without him and his staff.

Not North Carolina A&T, Not Bethune-Cookman, Not SC State, We proved everybody wrong.

We won the MEAC baby!!!

Now, we wait tomorrow for the FCS brackets to come out.

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

I understand why they probably have to be in the top four... but Florida State is not one of the four best teams in the country. No way.

They're still undefeated, so they deserve Top 4, but I'm with you. This FSU team just isn't as good as last season's edition. I've been waiting for them to get a dominant win and really show us something all season, but it just doesn't look like it's coming. Maybe against Florida?

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

I understand why they probably have to be in the top four... but Florida State is not one of the four best teams in the country. No way.

They should probably fall to #4 this week.

I'm not on the Committee, but I do think that a on-campus shooting in the library 36 hours ago, counts as a "distraction" which may impact performance.

There was apparently some dumb trick play BC tried on their last drive. I barely had a chance to watch these games and will catch up later on.

Pre-emptively, I'll blame Steve Addazio for whatever nonsense happened because it's been years since Gator fans have been able to blame Steve Addazio for something, and I miss being able to do that.

I'm not on the Committee, but I do think that a on-campus shooting in the library 36 hours ago, counts as a "distraction" which may impact performance.

Unfortunately, different system duly noted, the Oklahoma State plane crash in 2011 the day before they lost their only game on the road to Iowa State wasn't enough to prevent us from having an entirely unprecedented regular season rematch for the NCG, even with Okie State crushing Oklahoma on a day where Alabama didn't play because they didn't win their division.

spacer.png

There was apparently some dumb trick play BC tried on their last drive. I barely had a chance to watch these games and will catch up later on.

Pre-emptively, I'll blame Steve Addazio for whatever nonsense happened because it's been years since Gator fans have been able to blame Steve Addazio for something, and I miss being able to do that.

Unfortunately, different system duly noted, the Oklahoma State plane crash in 2011 the day before they lost their only game on the road to Iowa State wasn't enough to prevent us from having an entirely unprecedented regular season rematch for the NCG, even with Okie State crushing Oklahoma on a day where Alabama didn't play because they didn't win their division.

I was going to mention that as well but opted not to since it was under a different system. I will say, though, that I would not hold their performance today against them if it was an anomaly. As it is, though, scraping by bad and mediocre teams is what they do every single week.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived