Why not just do the Eldora format? And instead of time trialing, line up by practice speeds. Then short heat races for the twin 150's?!?!?

Agreed. The sunday qualifying for Daytona is completely pointless, even under the previous format, as all it does is lock up the front row. Its a waste of resources, especially if they make everyone group up and wreck their cars just to determine starting position for a qualification race that is basically a lottery to begin with.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Earnhardt wins the first duel with Logano making a late push, though Gordon held him off for second. A few smaller teams make it in (McDowell, Annette, Cassill, and Cole Whitt) and put the pressure on some bigger names in the second race (or so they say, I don't know how this crap works. Pretty good racing, overall. I'm very curious to see whether or not Danica gets in. I'm pulling for her.

IUe6Hvh.png

Jimmie wins Duel 2. Danica finished 10 & she was fighting David Ragan near the end. These unexpected drivers & the up & comers getting in like Algaier, Ty Dillon, Ryan Blaney, Mike Wallace, racing like there was no tomorrow. This is why I love the duels.

baltimoreravens.png

Jimmie wins Duel 2. Danica finished 10 & she was fighting David Ragan near the end. These unexpected drivers & the up & comers getting in like Algaier, Ty Dillon, Ryan Blaney, Mike Wallace, racing like there was no tomorrow. This is why I love the duels.

It was a great effort by Danica. Running well enough to make it easy before Hamlin gets her loose and spins her, then she races her way in on a green-white-checker with a great effort. I thought the second duel was relatively boring but made for a great finish!

Jimmy and Jr. have some fast cars. Kenseth was fast... but I don't know if he was as fast when he wasn't out front. Gordon's got a pretty solid car as well.

IUe6Hvh.png

Hendrick power wins again at Daytona...again.

Danica still races not to win at plate tracks as it is when all cars are most even, yet is still labeled by DW as "aggressive". Desani Denny is/was a faster car.

She and Paul Menard are about the same in terms of style.

Good on Reed Sorensen!

Great seeing Mike Wallace make it in.

Alex Bowman, Jeb Burton, Justin Marks, Ron Hornaday, Brian Scott, and Josh Wise miss the field.

Wise's bubble popped pretty much immediately upon starting Duel #2. I'm not sure if this is true but Jeb had the closest shot out of all these guys to get in; he just wasn't fast enough from practice/qualifying to make it.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Keep an eye on Carl Edwards. He's looked good so far in Speedweeks.

Maybe he won't win the 500, but given how drivers that switched manufactuers have won big (Kyle Busch aand Matt Kenseth going to Toyota, Ryan Newman from Ford to Dodge- all combined to win 22 races in those maiden seasons)

Keep an eye on Carl Edwards. He's looked good so far in Speedweeks.

Maybe he won't win the 500, but given how drivers that switched manufactuers have won big (Kyle Busch aand Matt Kenseth going to Toyota, Ryan Newman from Ford to Dodge- all combined to win 22 races in those maiden seasons)

I'll pass since no Toyota engine has won the Daytona 500. They blow up. Only Kyle has won the July race in a Toyota.

Plus, with the new "pit timing system" a Toyota will get hit with speeding like Kyle was in his Duel race.

Ryan Blaney showed nothing last night. He was "stroking" - points racing, not being aggressive - just out there to qualify and not looking to harm the car. He has something left to show, he'll be someone to watch for Sunday.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Kurt Busch has been suspended INDEFINITELY after it was found that he shoved his ex-girlfriend's head against the wall of his trailer after the Dover race in September.

NASCAR is about as fake as the NFL anymore. Danica gets the pole in her first ever 500. Now, Gordon gets it in his last year... oh the drama!

Don't forget Austin Dillon won the pole last year in the 3's first NSCS race at Daytona since 2001.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

NASCAR is about as fake as the NFL anymore. Danica gets the pole in her first ever 500. Now, Gordon gets it in his last year... oh the drama!

The pole doesn't matter at all anyways. Especially at a track like this and in a race this long. I don't think it's fixed, though. I mean, it would be one thing if Gordon won the pole and then had a terrible car the rest of the time... but he was one of the four or five fastest cars in the duels and has been fast in qualifying.

Also, just saw on Fox Sports 1 that Kurt Busch has been suspended indefinitely.

IUe6Hvh.png

Kurt Busch has been suspended INDEFINITELY after it was found that he shoved his ex-girlfriend's head against the wall of his trailer after the Dover race in September.

Don't forget Austin Dillon won the pole last year in the 3's first NSCS race at Daytona since 2001.

You can make conspiracies for any popular well-known NASCAR driver had they won the pole.

If it was Edwards- NASCAR WANTED THEIR OFFSEASON SPLASHY MOVE TO START OFF STRONG

If it was Biffle- NASCAR WANTS ROUSH TO START STRONG

Archived