2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

I don't understand why they had to butcher their perfect road uniform when a much better option is staring them in the face. Make a black and white fauxback based off their first uniform. Doesn't matter if other teams use that scheme right now, since it'd just be a one off.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone legitimately heard "the city of big shoulders" before? Because I haven't.

Read some Carl Sandburg, maybe?

Not much for poetry. Still have never heard someone use it.

Read anything, maybe?

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

Has anyone legitimately heard "the city of big shoulders" before? Because I haven't.

Read anything, maybe?
I would consider myself well-read and I've never heard of that nickname either.

It just sounds like Nike-esque speak, from Reebok or the team, to justify the fact that shoulder yokes have been getting bigger on newer templates.

Read anything, maybe?

Almost exclusively historical nonfiction. You have an example where this is used?

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Read anything, maybe?

It just sounds like Nike-esque speak, from Reebok or the team, to justify the fact that shoulder yokes have been getting bigger on newer templates.

I tend to agree. I think what frustrates me is aren't the shoulder yokes on the Blackhawks the same size as Minnesota? Seems like a cop out to a poor design where the Wild have, at the very least, a very similar sized yoke that fits the design they are going for.

SEAsig.png

Read anything, maybe?

The only time I've ever heard it before was from that Guardian Project thing, where they used it to justify the Blackhawk character's giant shoulder pads.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Detroit - The only thing nice about the jersey is the logo. The sash seems out of place and the arms are so ugly.

Chicago - Not terrible, but too much black imo. The stars on the collar is a nice touch. Not much else you can do with a team that's had 34 outdoor games.

Minnesota - Nicest one out of the 3 released recently. The one thing I hate is them using off-white instead of just plain white, but I guess you can use the argument that in a stadium it contrasts better against the ice and (possibly) snow.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

The "big shoulders" thing would have been clever if their opponent didn't have the same shoulder yoke.

Or if the yoke actually looked good or had a historical context for the team. Just sounds like they are trying to come up with a flimsy way of justifying the design element so the uniform can be consistent with their opponent.

"City of big shoulders" is a common thing. I don't know that anybody has ever boasted of it or used it pridefully, but they utter it on every other populist commercial for the Bears or GMC or whatever talking about Chicago's toughness and working class spirit.

Growing up in Milwaukee, and visiting Chicago a fair amount, I have long been familiar with it. Can't remember from where, it's just part of my consciousness like "Windy City".

Minnesota - Nicest one out of the 3 released recently. The one thing I hate is them using off-white instead of just plain white, but I guess you can use the argument that in a stadium it contrasts better against the ice and (possibly) snow.

Wheat is one of our colors.

why they put back numbers on the sleeves of that red wings jersey ? :wow:

So the numbers are easier to read for fans in the stadium. Stadiums have far different sight lines than arenas.
Correct me if I'm wrong but do the majority of baseball teams not have at least 4" smaller numbers on there jerseys than what is on the back of current hockey jersey set? And I know baseball they are just standing there and much slower sport, but football has about the same size shoulder numbers as on a current sleeve of a hockey jersey.

why they put back numbers on the sleeves of that red wings jersey ? :wow:

So the numbers are easier to read for fans in the stadium. Stadiums have far different sight lines than arenas.
Correct me if I'm wrong but do the majority of baseball teams not have at least 4" smaller numbers on there jerseys than what is on the back of current hockey jersey set? And I know baseball they are just standing there and much slower sport, but football has about the same size shoulder numbers as on a current sleeve of a hockey jersey.

Baseball also moves a lot slower than hockey, and you are less dependent on seeing the number to know who the player is.

As an announcer, I'm a big fan of the bigger sleeve numbers. They might look goofy, but they're totally functional. It really sets these apart.

Sleeve numbers are actually why I got glasses- I couldn't distinguish the 6, 8. and 9 of a Hurricanes font from the press box. I still only use them for announcing.

Is it just me, or would Chicago's jersey look way better without the shoulder yoke? I think the sleeves would look a lot less crowded if the shoulders were bare.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

As an announcer, I'm a big fan of the bigger sleeve numbers. They might look goofy, but they're totally functional. It really sets these apart.

Sleeve numbers are actually why I got glasses- I couldn't distinguish the 6, 8. and 9 of a Hurricanes font from the press box. I still only use them for announcing.

Is it just me, or would Chicago's jersey look way better without the shoulder yoke? I think the sleeves would look a lot less crowded if the shoulders were bare.

Hey Hey Whaddaya Say!

Chicago - Not terrible, but too much black imo.

The Chicago Police Department has no opinion on this sentence.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived