2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

How violently are the Canadians rolling their eyes at our intrastate slap fight? lol

I mean there still the Country of Hockey, but they haven't even won the Cups since 92'...

This argument, really?

Since 1993, only 3 Cup winning teams have had an American captain. And if I'm not mistaken, they're the only American captains to do it, period.

Where the teams are located is irrelevant. 3 of the 7 Canadian team captains are American or European. The majority of the American team captains are Canadian.

sig.png

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Icethetics surprisingly launched its 2016 Jersey Watch early.

According to Chris, it looks as though the Penguins are finally going to replace their home and roads. No further info yet but he seems to think athletic gold will be making a comeback. I hope he's right!

I'm not getting my hopes up. I figured it wouldn't happen until the team was sold and Lemieux became a minority owner.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Hockeytown was fun for those first few years in the 90s. I was in middle school and the NHL was just coming out of the "Coolest Game on Earth" era and so I'll always associate Hockeytown with glow pucks and fighting robots and the most exciting era of Red Wings hockey I've ever seen... However, it's time to for the Wings to put that marketing campaign to bed.

FWIW, most Red Wings fans I encounter these days fall somewhere between "I don't care" and "it's over and done with" when it comes to the Hockeytown marketing. Really, the only reason the Wings still use it is because of the Hockeytown Cafe and Hockeytown Authentics businesses that are tied to it...

Hopefully the Wings will move on from the center ice logo when they make the move to the new arena in 2017.

How violently are the Canadians rolling their eyes at our intrastate slap fight? lol

I mean there still the Country of Hockey, but they haven't even won the Cups since 92'...

This argument, really?

Since 1993, only 3 Cup winning teams have had an American captain. And if I'm not mistaken, they're the only American captains to do it, period.

Where the teams are located is irrelevant. 3 of the 7 Canadian team captains are American or European. The majority of the American team captains are Canadian.

heh. I get what you're saying but I always laugh at how blatantly over the top TSN and other Canadian media outlets are with coverage of the seven Canadian franchises, but then if you dare bring up that they haven't won a cup in 23 years, they'll remind you how it doesn't matter where the team is from.

You mean Canadian broadcasters are interested in primarily covering local (Canadian) teams their viewership would be most interested in? Colour me surprised.

And Islander fans shouldn't be tossing around "lol Cup drought" at anyone.

My point was you can't in one breath have an over-the-top devotion to "our teams" because of where they happen to sit geographically (which you so astutely pointed out isn't unusual or unreasonable) but then in the next breath say where they happen to be located geographically doesn't really matter because "most of the players are from here anyway."

Georgaphy either matters or it doesnt. Not just when it's convenient to apply to an argument.

And I wasn't "lol cup droughting" anyone. It was an indirect reference. Sensitive are we?

Are you saying that Michigan isn't in the same discussion as Minnesota and Massachusetts?

We can't leave Hockey Bay USA out of this argument!

mgmtmt1_1280w.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

This argument, really?

You know what's even less releavant than where a team is located? The nationality of the team captain.

This argument, really?

You know what's even less releavant than where a team is located? The nationality of the team captain.

Not in this argument. Every Cup winning team since 1993 could be comprised completely of Canadian players, while every team in Canada in the meantime has been made up of Americans, while still making the argument that 'A Canadian team hasn't won the Cup since 1993'. I just use the Captain as a cross section. They're a bunch of Canadians playing in a U.S. city and vice-versa.

sig.png

This whole argument is irrelevant. I'd love to get to a point where no one cares, because I sure don't.

---

What is relevant here is jerseys, and I want to know people's thoughts on these. I know they're just fashion jerseys, but I see WAYYYYY too many people actually wearing these damn things. Last year's darker ones AND this year's lighter ones:

CRdejv-VAAAhVqU.jpg1016oilers_244.jpg

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

I like to call the people wearing them "stealth fans". They want to wear the logo, but they don't want anyone to see that logo.

It's fun to ask if they're ashamed to be fans of their team, but don't want to give up on them entirely (it helps that I saw mostly Sabres fans pre-Eichel wearing them). lol

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

My point was you can't in one breath have an over-the-top devotion to "our teams" because of where they happen to sit geographically (which you so astutely pointed out isn't unusual or unreasonable) but then in the next breath say where they happen to be located geographically doesn't really matter because "most of the players are from here anyway."

Georgaphy either matters or it doesnt. Not just when it's convenient to apply to an argument.

I think you're being a bit silly. The CBC, TSN, and Rogers all primarily broadcast to Canadians. Who will, by and large, prefer to see the local teams. So the Canadian networks will show games primarily featuring these teams. It's basic business sense.

NBC does the same thing in the States for whatever it's worth. How often are Canadian teams on NBC? Not often. Probably because they've estimated that American hockey fans want to see American teams. Sure, you get the "NBC Seven" and people complaining for more variety, but even then? I'm guessing NBC makes those choices based off of where the viewership is strongest. So it's no different from the CBC/TSN/Rogers focusing on the Canadian teams. You emphasize the teams your viewership is interested in.

What does that have anything to do with where the players are born? The "Hockeytown" vs "State of Hockey" comparisons have alternated between "we never lost our team to Texas!" (geography) and "we produce the most American NHLers/have the sport engrained in our culture" (cultural importance). I wasn't the one who dragged Canada into this, but if it's going to brought up? Canada being the home of most NHL players is certainly relevant to the latter argument.

And I wasn't "lol cup droughting" anyone. It was an indirect reference. Sensitive are we?

The funny thing is? Most Canadians probably wouldn't care about the nation-wide Cup drought (aside from not seeing their particular team win it all) if Americans didn't bring it up at every opportunity. I never heard anyone say "it's been too long since a Canadian team brought home the Cup" until Calgary made it to the Finals in 2003. The close calls with Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver certainly didn't help (sorry Ottawa, you were never close) but big picture? This country would turn out in droves to watch a Finals between Florida and Nashville because hockey is hockey. It's the "USA! USA!" crowd that irks us.

So yeah, if pointing out all of your best players come from here takes some air out of your tires on that? We'll keep doing it ;)

And say what you will about Canadian fans, teams, or broadcasters. No Canadian team has ever put "Country of Hockey" on a jersey patch, or on centre ice. That's for Detroit and Minnesota.

You mean Canadian broadcasters are interested in primarily covering local (Canadian) teams their viewership would be most interested in? Colour me surprised.

And Islander fans shouldn't be tossing around "lol Cup drought" at anyone.

Fun fact: The last year a Canadian team won the Cup was the last year the Islanders won a playoff series.

I made myself sad.

Still MIGHTY is right, let's come back to the point that brings us all here, Hockey Jerseys, and let's talk about the jerseywatch and the news everyone here have been waiting for ! Pittsburgh might really go back to their Cup look after all ! And i'm hoping to see the Lindros's jersey makie a come back for the Flyers

The funny thing is? Most Canadians probably wouldn't care about the nation-wide Cup drought (aside from not seeing their particular team win it all) if Americans didn't bring it up at every opportunity. I never heard anyone say "it's been too long since a Canadian team brought home the Cup" until Calgary made it to the Finals in 2003. The close calls with Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver certainly didn't help (sorry Ottawa, you were never close) but big picture? This country would turn out in droves to watch a Finals between Florida and Nashville because hockey is hockey. It's the "USA! USA!" crowd that irks us.

So yeah, if pointing out all of your best players come from here takes some air out of your tires on that? We'll keep doing it ;)

And say what you will about Canadian fans, teams, or broadcasters. No Canadian team has ever put "Country of Hockey" on a jersey patch, or on centre ice. That's for Detroit and Minnesota.

2004... But yeah, everything else you said is on point. The close calls with the Western Canadian franchises are still gut wrenching all these years later because if it weren't for some serious bad luck, two out of three could have easily won... Vancouver came closer than they ever had any business being as they were lucky to make it to game 7 (surprised they didn't lose 4 straight after that embarrassing performance in game 3). Flames were literally a goal away from winning it on home ice, or a missed call, depending on who you ask. The Oilers would have likely swept the flukey Hurricanes, had the injury to Roloson not occurred in game one, or at the very least won in 6.

But yes this sentiment of wanting a Canadian team to win it definitely started with the Flames, partly because it was such a feel-good story. Not even the most hardcore Flames fans thought the team would make it past the first round and they ended up knocking off three division winners, on route to the finals. It was a magical time and unlike Vancouver, most of the country was fully behind them. I don't see this sentiment going away until the drought reaches it's conclusion.

And yes, a "Country of Hockey" patch isn't necessary because it's akin to saying water is wet... We invented the game, have the best players and the most fan support. When an American team wins 24 championships, their fans can start ring knocking...

Can we stop with the Marty McSorley thing? It's ridiculous... The "result" of the illegal curve penalty was that the series was tied 1-1. Not even that, because the goal scored on that power play only sent the game to OT; the Kings still had a legit shot even to win that game. Then the Kings lost the next three games in a row because they were emotionally devastated by Marty McSorley's illegal stick curve?

Archived