Best alternate jersey in MLB

damnyoutuesday

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm shocked at the love the Braves' fauxback gets. It's only the recent trend of pointless road alts (Giants, Cubs, Dodgers) that bumped it from the worst spot. It's an absolutely terrible jersey. It omits the triple striping the Braves have long worn and their iconic tomahawk. I literally cannot think of a single way to make them worse. Wait - put "Tha ATL" on the front. That's the only way to make them worse. And due to these horrific alts, the graciously departed red jersey and the crappy road alts, the Braves took a classic look that symbolized a powerhouse team and bastardized it to the point of befitting Dan Uggla and BJ Upton.

I can understand if you think it is inferior to the standard home and away sets, but it's not terrible by any means. In no way is it a fauxback, either. It is a 95% authentic throwback (aside from the sleeve patch). It has great balance of color and is historically accurate. What more could you want from a throwback?

tc.jpg

Craig+Kimbrel+Pittsburgh+Pirates+v+Atlan

I'm shocked at the love the Braves' fauxback gets. It's only the recent trend of pointless road alts (Giants, Cubs, Dodgers) that bumped it from the worst spot. It's an absolutely terrible jersey. It omits the triple striping the Braves have long worn and their iconic tomahawk. I literally cannot think of a single way to make them worse. Wait - put "Tha ATL" on the front. That's the only way to make them worse. And due to these horrific alts, the graciously departed red jersey and the crappy road alts, the Braves took a classic look that symbolized a powerhouse team and bastardized it to the point of befitting Dan Uggla and BJ Upton.

I can understand if you think it is inferior to the standard home and away sets, but it's not terrible by any means. In no way is it a fauxback, either. It is a 95% authentic throwback (aside from the sleeve patch). It has great balance of color and is historically accurate. What more could you want from a throwback?

I stand corrected. I thought there were more differences from the early Hank Aaron set. Either way, I think there's nothing at all inspiring about it. Going to cream at home is dumb, first off. It's their home jersey, except stripped down, including removing the iconic tomahawk. It provides literally nothing the home jersey doesn't (outside of plainness, I suppose). But the biggest thing that makes it awful is that it's worn regularly, for every weekend game, I believe. If it was worn a handful of times a year, I'd say "Oh. That's a pretty pointless alt, but whatever." But them using the pointless throwback so much that the Braves only look like the Braves on Mondays through Thursdays at home makes is inexcusable. If the Braves want an alt, they should have exactly one - their '90s BP jersey, except with triple piping. They also need exactly one hat. To me, this throwback symbolizes all the failures of the organization over the last decade.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

tc.jpg

Craig+Kimbrel+Pittsburgh+Pirates+v+Atlan

You're right, but it's still inferior to the regular uniforms. Which was, I think, what he was saying. They're pointless, adding nothing unique to the uniform set and only displacing superior primary uniforms.

I stand corrected. I thought there were more differences from the early Hank Aaron set. Either way, I think there's nothing at all inspiring about it. Going to cream at home is dumb, first off. It's their home jersey, except stripped down, including removing the iconic tomahawk. It provides literally nothing the home jersey doesn't (outside of plainness, I suppose). But the biggest thing that makes it awful is that it's worn regularly, for every weekend game, I believe. If it was worn a handful of times a year, I'd say "Oh. That's a pretty pointless alt, but whatever." But them using the pointless throwback so much that the Braves only look like the Braves on Mondays through Thursdays at home makes is inexcusable. If the Braves want an alt, they should have exactly one - their '90s BP jersey, except with triple piping. They also need exactly one hat. To me, this throwback symbolizes all the failures of the organization over the last decade.

Yeah outside of them just wanting another jersey to sell I don't get it. It's worse than their regular uniforms in every single way and every time they wear it it means one fewer game they wear their beautiful regular home uniforms.

Also, don't get me started on the all navy hat or the sans red blue jerseys*. Both are stupid and stupid looking.

The Braves were one of those teams who worked just fine with only two uniforms and one cap. I could live with the red alternate as long as its usage is kept in check, but that tomahawk A they wear with it is unnecessary. Also, I preferred their vertically arched NOBs. I miss those as well.

*EDIT: I forgot they introduced special red-absent gray pants to be worn with the blue jersey! Another terrible idea. And they're moving out of a 20 year old stadium in two years. Between the decade and a half of dominating the NL, the 1995 NLCS, and the recent uniform and stadium decisions the Braves are one of the teams that frustrates me most.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Vertically arched lettering might be the most dearly departed aspect of the powerhouse Braves set. The Braves' current uniforms (even home and road) look so incomplete with normal radial arch letters. Growing up, I used to see those Braves and think how great they looked, while also wishing they had a blue alt. Getting older, I still think the right blue alt would be good, but I also think the Braves current (former) home and road set are so great that they don't need an alternate at all. But going back just 11 seasons, the Braves had only two jerseys and one hat, and were one of the best dressed teams in baseball. Since then, they've:

added red alternate jersey and awful tomahawk cap

dropped vertical arch lettering for radial like everyone else

added an awful navy/white road alt with a navy/white cap that soon became the road cap

added pointless navy-piped road pants after realizing the red-less alt clashed with the pants

decided to wear the navy jerseys for 75% of their road games

added a throwback and decided to wear it for every day game

changed the tolerable-but-bad red alt for an awful stared one (which is at least worn rarely)

Each one of those things is a huge downgrade for their entire look. The road uniform isn't the same due to the all-navy cap. They wear alternates most of the time at home. The only time the Braves actually look like the Braves is weeknight home games. That's a shame.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Rockies Purple.

20130827_ajl_aq2_182.0.jpg

As a Rox fan, I'd disagree. The jersey in itself isn't great. The Colorado script is one of the worst in the league because of oh how small it is, not to mention the whole COLOORADO thing that happens a lot. That and the lack of piping on the whole thing. Really doesn't match aesthetically.

spacer.png

Rockies Purple.

As a Rox fan, I'd disagree. The jersey in itself isn't great. The Colorado script is one of the worst in the league because of oh how small it is, not to mention the whole COLOORADO thing that happens a lot. That and the lack of piping on the whole thing. Really doesn't match aesthetically.

Don't forget the whole "black-on-purple" aspect. Talk about illegible.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Rockies Purple.

I agree it could be better, but I just love that shade or purple.

Rockies Purple.

Wait, what can't you read?

The pictured jersey. From any distance it's illegible, particularly the wordmark. The inline wordmark the Rockies use is decent in theory but it never works. And I don't know how they could fix it while using purple and black together. Make the white outline comically large? Make everything white with a black outline? Then the black outline would get lost against the purple. Maybe they could do silver numbers with a black outline and a white outer-outline. It would be a little cluttered, but at least you'd be able to read it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The pictured jersey. From any distance it's illegible, particularly the wordmark. The inline wordmark the Rockies use is decent in theory but it never works. And I don't know how they could fix it while using purple and black together. Make the white outline comically large? Make everything white with a black outline? Then the black outline would get lost against the purple. Maybe they could do silver numbers with a black outline and a white outer-outline. It would be a little cluttered, but at least you'd be able to read it.

I think the jersey is legible enough. But from a distance, it almost looks like purple letter/number (with outline) on purple jersey. Your comment on white numbers outlined in black illustrates why I think black and purple is one of the worst color combos in sports. There's just not enough contrast. It's part of why I hate the Ravens look...the Ravens have mitigated the issue somewhat with the gold. The below photo highlights what I hate. There's not enough contrast for the helmet stripes to have any value. The purple drop shadow is probably necessary to not lead to questions of "are they black and gold or black and purple?" But it's not particularly visible from a distance. Admittedly, their purple jersey is not quite as bad, but the contrast is still not adequate. The black drop shadow still gets lost on the purple jersey and the gold is still needed to buffer it. But black and purple seems pretty well-liked. Northwestern and TCU both add black to their purple; I think both looked better at times where they did not have it. But I am in the minority.

To me, the Ravens and the Rockies are going to always struggle to create really nice uniforms.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived