Sports statistics that should be done away with

johnnysama

CCSLC goal, his third of the year, scored at 12:48 by #658, Gothamite, assisted by #54, Mockba, and #57869, Tigers6884.

Gothamite from Mockba and Tigers6884 at 12:48.

I just wanted to quote this because, as a hockey PA announcer, I appreciate this for its simplicity.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be cool with +/- being done away with in hockey. Useless stat.

I hate that stat while playing the NHL video game. It sucks being a created player in Live the Life mode. Sometimes right when I get on the ice for a line change the other team scores. Then it counts as a minus for me.

CCSLC goal, his third of the year, scored at 12:48 by #658, Gothamite, assisted by #54, Mockba, and #57869, Tigers6884.

Gothamite from Mockba and Tigers6884 at 12:48.

I just wanted to quote this because, as a hockey PA announcer, I appreciate this for its simplicity.

You really notice a PA guy in hockey who is goofy or unorganized when you grow up with one of the best (Tom Calhoun, hasn't missed a Blues game since 87.)

I went to a minor league game once where the PA guy started every announcement with the word, "Fans..."...it was obnoxious.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Deciding games by carnival games should never really be a thing, but there's no way you can base standings on straight-up W-L when you include the shootout.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Deciding games by carnival games should never really be a thing, but there's no way you can base standings on straight-up W-L when you include the shootout.

I agree. I feel the opposite of "The shootout is what makes the loser point superfluous." I think if the shootout is going to count (which it should not IMO), then the gap between "winner" and "loser" ought to be narrowed. Really, the team that loses the shootout played just as well as the winner. Both teams scored the same number of goals over 65 minutes and one was victorious in a mini-All Star Skills Competition. That (combined with the impracticality of never-ending OT in the regular season) is why I am OK with ties.

I would prefer the shootout be dumped. But it's probably not going anywhere.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I would welcome back ties to the NHL, but on two conditions:

1. Game goes 60 minutes only. No overtimes.

2. Award one point for tie games, but give winners three points. Make ties only worth a third of a win instead of worth half a win.

I would think the strategy at the end of games would change. Teams would go for the win...even if that means pulling the goalie in a tie game...and get the extra two points than sitting back and cherishing the one point, since it would take three ties to equal one win instead of the current two ties (well, OT/shootout losses).

2. Award one point for tie games, but give winners three points. Make ties only worth a third of a win instead of worth half a win.

I would think the strategy at the end of games would change. Teams would go for the win...even if that means pulling the goalie in a tie game...and get the extra two points than sitting back and cherishing the one point, since it would take three ties to equal one win instead of the current two ties (well, OT/shootout losses).

It should have always been done the way soccer does it. I agree with this fully.

I wish coaches hated the shootout as much as you do. Maybe then there wouldn't be so damn many.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The AHL is working on it, with about 40-50 shootouts compared to 110 in the NHL (as of the last time I counted)

Is 3-on-3 really any better than a shootout? It's still a bastardized version of the normal game.

I worked with a baseball official scorer who couldn't stand the sacrifice fly. He said it was giving a batter a free out (sac flies don't count as an at-bat and therefore don't affect your batting average) even though he wasn't giving himself up like on a sac bunt.

Why not just do straight wins?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I worked with a baseball official scorer who couldn't stand the sacrifice fly. He said it was giving a batter a free out (sac flies don't count as an at-bat and therefore don't affect your batting average) even though he wasn't giving himself up like on a sac bunt.

Sometimes they are giving themselves up, since a hitter can change his strategy to just launch a ball in to the outfield. It's not like he's trying to get out, but he's not trying to hit a grounder up the middle or work a walk either.

I think sometimes SAC flies are just luck, and rewarding the batter for said luck, but often times that's not the case. When a runner is on third and you're not one of the special players who just always does their thing, your job is to score him even at your own expense - so you should be rewarded for putting the ball in play in a way that gets that job done.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

True. But if he were alive today, he would point out that if someone's up with a runner on 2nd and the batter hits one to the right side and moves the runner up, that batter is charged with an out even though he was doing his job.

Anyways, I used to root for them just so I could hear him announce "sacrifice fly" with sarcasm.

A sac fly is a great example of imperfection in stats. You have three choices: call it an AB/out; call it an unofficial appearance (as we do); or make a judgement as to whether the hitter was actually trying to sacrifice. I suppose the way we do it is best.

I don't follow SABR/analytics very closely but I am sure they've rectified this plenty.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived