NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

I don't see playing a split-schedule as working out that for anyone. They'll piss off their existing fans and won't earn any new ones with such half-hearted measures.

Far more likely is that the Rams move, since they're the only one able to do it on their own, and the Raiders and Chargers have that to hang over their cities' heads, and the loser there ends up with Stan as a landlord.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's already a tough pill to swallow for cities/counties/states to approve public money for a stadium that gets used 10 days a year. Start moving some of those dates to a different area...

I giggled when Stockton said (paraphrase), "Less than a full house here in St. Louis today..."

But they filled up the free-to-attend forum! That counts for far more!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Mayor Kevin Faulconer will get his next and best (and possibly last) chance to convince the NFL to give San Diego another year to keep the Chargers in San Diego.

The Mayor will have the floor for 45 minutes on Nov. 11 at the NFL’s headquarters in New York in front of approximately half of the league’s 32 owners, ostensibly with the mission of convincing them of his genuineness and capability.

“It’s an opportunity to clearly communicate we have a viable plan and (help) the NFL clearly see we are ready to go,” Faulconer said.

Officials from St. Louis and Oakland, the other two cities with NFL teams looking to relocate to Los Angeles, will also make presentations to owners in a joint meeting of the Los Angeles, Finance and Stadium committees. It is expected owners will ask questions after each presentation.

In addition to the 17 members of those three important committees, Chargers chairman Dean Spanos, St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke and Oakland Raiders owner Mark Davis are expected to be present. None of the three are on any those committees.

League sources have increasingly indicated in recent weeks that there is a growing sentiment toward Inglewood as the superior site

There is a deep belief by many in the league that San Diego should remain part of the NFL, but there is reluctance to force Spanos to chance being shut out in either city.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/nov/03/faulconer-nfl-owners-stadium-chargers-los-angeles/

Significant meeting coming next week. I thought it would only involve the 6 owners of the Los Angeles committee but including the teams vying for relocation the majority of the leagues owners will be there.

An interesting "Plan C" idea...

1. Let the Rams return to L.A., but with 7 regular season home dates only. The 8th home date goes to London, Berlin, Mexico City, Timbuktu, wherever).
  2. Let the Chargers play four non-divisional home games in L.A. for three years. Let the Raiders do the same. All divisional games (e.g., Chargers @ Raiders, Raiders @ Chargers) must be played in Oakland/San Diego.
  3. Whichever city (Oakland or San Diego) finalizes a deal first gets to keep their team. The other one gets permission to move to Los Angeles permanently if they wish.

Oh, and for those raising a stink-eye at the regional franchise idea, keep in mind that several NFL teams have played at multiple locations in its history, including the Green Bay Packers, who played two home dates in Milwaukee every year for decades.

nav-logo.png

I'd suggest there's a big difference between spreading the wealth in a region and sticking one foot out the door. What the Packers did is the former, and what you're proposing for the Raiders and the Chargers is the latter.

I would honestly rather be a St. Louis fan than an Oakland or San Diego fan in the scenario you lay out above.

An interesting "Plan C" idea...

• Let the Rams return to L.A., but with 7 regular season home dates only. The 8th home date goes to London, Berlin, Mexico City, Timbuktu, wherever).
  • Let the Chargers play four non-divisional home games in L.A. for three years. Let the Raiders do the same. All divisional games (e.g., Chargers @ Raiders, Raiders @ Chargers) must be played in Oakland/San Diego.
  • Whichever city (Oakland or San Diego) finalizes a deal first gets to keep their team. The other one gets permission to move to Los Angeles permanently if they wish.
Oh, and for those raising a stink-eye at the regional franchise idea, keep in mind that several NFL teams have played at multiple locations in its history, including the Green Bay Packers, who played two home dates in Milwaukee every year for decades.
That's pretty much what I suggested a few pages ago minus the international game, which I think would be a bad thing to do to a team trying to build a new fan base.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think it would all be bad for a team trying to build a fanbase.

The Packers are a terrible comparison because in those days Green Bay couldn't support the team by itself, but because the community owned the team they could spare them for a couple games to make money in the big city without fear. Doesn't apply anywhere else.

If the league is going to move into LA, it can't be half-assed. Do it all the way or don't do it at all.

I'd suggest there's a big difference between spreading the wealth in a region and sticking one foot out the door. What the Packers did is the former, and what you're proposing for the Raiders and the Chargers is the latter.

I would honestly rather be a St. Louis fan than an Oakland or San Diego fan in the scenario you lay out above.

My thoughts exactly, that comparison doesn't make any sense because there are completely different dynamics at play.

So Reggie Bush is reportedly suing the city of St. Louis over the injury he suffered at the dome. I didn't think an athlete could sue over something like that.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

He ran out of bounds and his momentum carried him over to a part of the floor that was not covered by field turf. Slid on the concrete and hurt himself. Don't recall the exact injury at the moment, but I believe Bush is out for the remainder of the season.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I think it might be an MCL for Bush. What's interesting is that after the game Bush said that he wasn't mad about the injury because everyone plays there and nobody else gets hurt.

With that said, Josh McCown actually did hurt his arm or shoulder (not seriously) the week prior failing to stop on the turf and then stumbling on the concrete and slamming into the wall. (it was actually hilarious if you don't feel bad about the injury part).

It will be somewhat interesting to see how this goes. How much responsibility does the RSA (the public agency that owns the Dome) have over something like this vs the team or the NFL who hosts the events and has (or doesn't have) standard for what the environment should be.

• The presentations from the various stadium groups to 17 NFL owners are today. (Perhaps over a couple of days, I'm not really sure.)

• Disney's chairman and chief executive Bob Iger will now oversee the Carson stadium proposal: http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-nfl-carson-bob-iger-disney-20151111-story.html

• The FAA is scrutinizes the Inglewood stadium proposal and will probably require some changes (nothing seems undoable): http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nfl-ingelwood-stadium-20151111-story.html

• And no link because there isn't anything particularly newsworthy about it (I don't think), but the St. Louis Board of Alderman continues to consider the stadium funding bill. The outcome of that remains very unclear.

Archived