NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could be wrong, but wasn't the reason that the Rams moved because they didn't like the conditions of their stadium?

Georgia Frontiere wanted her team to be in St. Louis. Everything else was a fabrication and construct to subsequently justify the move.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I could be wrong, but wasn't the reason that the Rams moved because they didn't like the conditions of their stadium?

Georgia Frontiere wanted her team to be in St. Louis. Everything else was a fabrication and construct to subsequently justify the move.

Didn't she originally try to move the team to Baltimore, though? Or was that another ownership?

Regardless, I don't think any of this should affect whether or not the Rams move back to LA.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I don't know about that.

I think she was pleased to end up there, but she always seemed more mercenary than you suggest. Had Anaheim, LA or another Southern California community been willing to agree to her conditions, then I doubt that they'd ever have left.

Nope. Angelinos can assure you, she left because she wanted to be in St. Louis, her hometown. The moment she took the Rams to Anaheim many, but not all, Rams fans started following another team or quit the NFL all together. It was only a matter of a time before she made the Rams leave SoCal for good.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I was an Angelino at the time. That's not my recollection.

Besides, she didn't move the team to Angel Stadium. Rosenbloom did, he just died before it was complete.

The Rams moved to Anaheim a decade and a half before they left LA. Sports fans didn't see that as the first step out of town, but a logical progression. Nobody thought that the Angels were trying to leave LA when they did the exact same thing.

Didn't she originally try to move the team to Baltimore, though? Or was that another ownership?

Regardless, I don't think any of this should affect whether or not the Rams move back to LA.

It was neither. It was another team. Among those who considered Baltimore once the Colts left included Bidwill (who took the Cardinals to Arizona), Orthwein (who allegedly was going to move the Patriots until Kraft got involved), and then a whole slate of teams once word got out in the NFL's inner circles that Fart Modell was talking with them.

nav-logo.png

However the condition of their stadium was probably her best justification. Pre-97 renovation Anaheim Stadium was not as bad as Candlestick Park is today but it did share a lot of the same deficiencies when it came to football. It was first and foremost a baseball stadium that had a football gridiron shoehorned into it. As a result sightlines sucked, there were no boxes over an sideline which is prime wasted real estate, no club seats for football, etc... And to add insult to injury the scoreboard collapsed into the stadium shortly before they decided to leave after the Northridge Earthquake.

ana08950main.jpg

Basically everything that made Anaheim Stadium good for baseball before they renovated it for football, and everything that makes Angel Stadium still good for baseball today, worked against it being a football venue.

Let's say the scenario of the Rams and Chargers relocating to LA actually happens (sharing the same stadium). Wouldn't it seem odd for two teams sharing the same stadium to have similar colors schemes?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Let's say the scenario of the Rams and Chargers relocating to LA actually happens (sharing the same stadium). Wouldn't it seem odd for two teams sharing the same stadium to have similar colors schemes?

Hell if anything it would solve a lot of the problems like they had at Giants Stadium that led to that grey monstrosity they built in the Meadowlands a few years ago. They could build a stadium with a yellow and blue theme and it would work for both.

Hell if anything it would solve a lot of the problems like they had at Giants Stadium that led to that grey monstrosity they built in the Meadowlands a few years ago. They could build a stadium with a yellow and blue theme and it would work for both.

It'd please those who like for "cities" to have their colors more than for "teams" to have their colors (note I'm not one of those people.) Not to start anything, but I'd effing LOVE for the Rams to go with purple and yellow, not just to tie in with the Lakers and vintage Kings, but I think it'd be a great scheme for their helmets and uniforms.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It'd please those who like for "cities" to have their colors more than for "teams" to have their colors (note I'm not one of those people.) Not to start anything, but I'd effing LOVE for the Rams to go with purple and yellow, not just to tie in with the Lakers and vintage Kings, but I think it'd be a great scheme for their helmets and uniforms.

I don't see either team switching to purple and yellow if they relocated to LA. I honestly think they'd be more likely to switch back to their "classic" colors upon relocation.

Rams: royal blue and yellow. Chargers: poweder blue, white, and yellow.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

The following linked article certainly features an optimistic town from a Rams fan perspective. The last half of the article is little more than an extremely optimistic proclamation. Feel free to dismiss a lot of it as nothing more than that, even I do. (Plus, it's bleacher report.)

But there's actually a lot of good quotes and facts in here (specifically the first half), too. As always, we won't know until we know. But for those who feel like it's nearly a done deal that the Rams are moving to LA, read this and you might see why there's plenty in St. Louis who see it as reasonably likely that the Rams stick around for quite some time.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1011910-st-louis-rams-the-latest-on-the-lease-from-the-rams-perspective

The one thing I wish I knew more about was the deadlines and the Missouri legislature. As we discussed earlier, as part of a bill that was mostly about something else, the Missouri legislature had worked on implementing funds that would go towards attracting athletic events to the state. That bill ultimately died, but almost certainly because of the other major aspects to it not the sports part. This article mentions that that aspect will be brought back to the table. But when? And when is too late? Talks apparently start on Feb. 1. There's some sort of initial proposal due sometime later in the month (I think). But I believe there's all kinds of little check points before any sort of decision is final. Timing of these things could be key.

This is my own optimistic speculation, but I really do believe Stan Kroenke's intention is to keep the Rams in St. Louis. I really, really do. The question will be what sacrifices he's willing to make (that contractually he doesn't have to) to do so. My gut still says they work it out, but that's worth little more than my own personal peace of mind.

The problem is that any replacement stadium will have to be exclusively privately financed at this point.

Missouri facing $500 million shortfall in upcoming budget.

The Governor last month even floated an idea to have the state universities "loan" the state money out of their university funds. That appears to be off the table for now, but, um, yeah things are kind of desperate. And if St. Louis the city is going to be losing state aid, well, um, that kind of diverts funds from stadia now doesn't it?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The problem is that any replacement stadium will have to be exclusively privately financed at this point.

Missouri facing $500 million shortfall in upcoming budget.

The Governor last month even floated an idea to have the state universities "loan" the state money out of their university funds. That appears to be off the table for now, but, um, yeah things are kind of desperate. And if St. Louis the city is going to be losing state aid, well, um, that kind of diverts funds from stadia now doesn't it?

Seems to be a re-occurring theme the last few weeks. First the Raiders (in Oakland) and Chargers lose a big chunk of their either direct or ancillary funding via redevelopment when California does away with redevelopment. Then Ramsey County kills the leading Vikings stadium plan. And now it looks like St. Louis really is SOL.

Money is needed regardless, but the Rams don't necessarily sound overly eager to demand a new stadium. If there's any value to the quotes in that article, then one of the prominent themes was the discussion of the Edward Jones Dome as the Rams home now and in the future.

But as I said, either way there's going to have to be money put into a project, so your point is still valid. It's going to have to be something more creative than the municipality straight paying for a bunch of upgrades. But there are ways to make things work. I can only hope they do.

That's what happens when you let rural citizens vote on the budgets of cities.

I don't have a good sense either way on whether the Rams would prefer to stay or leave, but I just don't see how St. Louis will pay for even the vague renovations the Rams have called for.

All a municipality really has in its quiver is money. Either straight cash or indirect funds like tax breaks. But even tax breaks need to be made up in the budget somewhere, so they'll be a tough sell in a city and state currently trying to figure out if they'd rather gut schools or heath care.

They have assets, too Goth. We've talked before about the possibility of giving Kroenke, a developer, land. Specifically land adjacent to the dome that would allow him to add to the experience surrounding a game and other events.

Again, there's creative ways to handle this if they work hard and are truly working together on a solution.

True, but you're still talking about tax liabilities that Kroenke would either have to accept, on a gift like real estate, or that the city would have to write off (which seems a non-starter).

And would that really satisfy the provisions in the lease? There's also the question of who actually gets the benefit of such a gift I also wonder if giving land to a company owned by the owner, but not the team, would be acceptable to the NFL.

There is definitely a possibility that they might be able to work something out, but they better already be pretty far down that road. Just over a month before the city has to show its hand...

Archived