NHL ALTERNATE SERIES

Christian Legault

Hi everyone, in this topic I will be creating an alternate jersey for every NHL team. I try and make them bright but clean. Of course credit to Nick Burton for the awesome template!

First up is the Edmonton Oilers. I wanted to give them an orange jersey, with lots of blue. I also couldn't find a logo I like, so I decided to create a word mark!

ChristianL-EDM_zpsphhuhrgp.png

Continuing the west coast teams is the Calgary Flames, this alt. has a throwback feel, but still offers fans something they've never seen before.

ChristianL-CGY_zps1etvxg1l.png

More teams will be up shortly

sig_zpsbkzghgfz.png

Twitter: @lestoplegault - Email: Christiantlegault@gmail.com Blog: http://legaultdesigns.blogspot.ca/

Coyotes: I love it. Two suggestions I have would be to: A. Use the Kachina pattern on the hem and sleeve stripes as well (the beige parts only); B. Use a standard block font for the NOB - the serifed font would be a little illegible with two outlines.

Oilers: I've never been a fan of the idea to give Edmonton an orange third jersey, but if they got one, this wouldn't be a bad place to start. The script is nice, but would benefit from being tilted a bit. As well, while I like the idea of using the negative space in the "O" to make an oil drop, it is currently off-centre/skewed too much to the right. The all-orange logo looks odd, and I've always thought that shoulder patched and yokes together were too much.

Flames: This one is a hot mess. The NASCAR font has never done the Flames any favours. The TV numbers need to be shrunken down, and the side panels should be stitched off and thrown into a bonfire. The pattern you used for the yellow stripes is neat; I think if you translated that into diagonal hem stripes, it would look good.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Thanks everyone. @bigbubba, I agree that side panels are most of the time, ugly as hell, but when they're pulled off i think i gives something really unique. Thats what i tried to do!

Anyways, here is Boston. I KNOW i will get complaints about the vintage white numbers and pants, but common? it looks vintage and really classy in my opinion.

ChristianL-BOS_zpseweg9m7i.png

sig_zpsbkzghgfz.png

Twitter: @lestoplegault - Email: Christiantlegault@gmail.com Blog: http://legaultdesigns.blogspot.ca/

Here is Arizona. Ive made a lot of alternates in the past with the state flag and aztec pattern but they always ended up being to busy, I think this is the best you can do by incorporating those elements.

CHristian%20L%20ARZ_zpsfdvj2fey.png

That. Looks. Fantastic.

Forget about it being the alternate, that's full time material right there! Stellar work.

Whether it was on purpose or not, that Oilers design is very close to their first WHA uniform. I like that the Calgary design has NO BLACK! I am concerned that the red on black for New Jersey would not be enough contrast to be legible from a distance (violates heraldry's 1000 year old no colour on colour rule).

Overall, very good work, with many original ideas!

original.jpg?w=800&h

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

You knocked it out of the park with the Jets. Love the bold striping and how red is now incorporated into the striping. Alternate uniforms are supposed to use a teams palette in different ways to stand out. Your alternate manages to do this while looking bold and classic.

With the Devils I'm afraid you missed the mark. The lack of white really limits the contrast of the design and the front numbers are unnecessary. A black alternate could look good but I'm partial to red, white and green.

Love love love that Oilers wordmark- they should adopt something like that absolutely. These are all technically very good, although the overly black heavy ones are not to my specific taste. Only real criticism is on the Hurricanes- not using the white seems sort of unnecessary? All the other design choices are great, but the lack of white doesn't seem to add anything, especially with the two-toned red.

Archived