Jeff Gordon Unveils Penn State Car

PSUcelticsWON95

Yesterday, Jeff Gordon unveiled a Penn State-themed car that he will race at Pocono. Didn't see this posted anywhere, but sorry if it's a re-post. The only other time I've seen a university (non-UNOH) on a car was probably Jamie McMurray's Auburn car, but that was for a different purpose. I think it's very interesting for Gordon and Axalta to do this.

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/shake-and-bake/jeff-gordon-hendrick-motorsports-penn-state-university-pocono-raceway-paint-scheme-axalta-041415

Yesterday, Jeff Gordon unveiled a Penn State-themed car that he will race at Pocono. Didn't see this posted anywhere, but sorry if it's a re-post. The only other time I've seen a university (non-UNOH) on a car was probably Jamie McMurray's Auburn car, but that was for a different purpose. I think it's very interesting for Gordon and Axalta to do this.

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/shake-and-bake/jeff-gordon-hendrick-motorsports-penn-state-university-pocono-raceway-paint-scheme-axalta-041415

Yeah it's a pretty cool idea. I like it, particularly at the school's "local" tracks. There were a couple others I could think of.

Texas Tech did it this year at TMS:

texas-tech-nascar.jpg

And Texas A&M's school of engineering did one last year at TMS:

NASCAR_TMS_040714_GordonPitStop.jpg

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

It's really not as rare as it may seem. Yea, Aaron's raced a few different schools (Kentucky, Alabama, Auburn, etc), but there's been more. A smaller team in the early 2000s had an entire series

98auburn-side_zpsgn8btoxq.jpg

98cars-top_zpswyzum4ss.jpg

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

See,in 2012 and 13,Clint Boywer drove an Alabama car for their football championships.Brian Vickers ran an Florida State car at the July race at Daytona.

The college paint schemes are becoming as common as the Memorial Day/July 4th paint schemes.

2v1ao9y.jpg

TRhBP9N.png

YO2Xb6F.png

cubsfansig.jpg

This car was the one that started Jayski. It never made it to the track.

LakeSpeed-vi.jpg

1/64 scale cars have never been allowed on the track. :D

Kidding aside, that car was one of the hot collectibles back in the late 90s. I jumped head-first into the NASCAR die cast collecting 1996-2001 but fortunately I liquidated most of it before the bottom dropped out.

The fun of it was ruined for me when they oversaturated the market with FAR too many special paint schemes. It became impossible to keep up, and like so many others, I decided to give up trying and sell out altogether. The baseball card people made the same mistake, I think.

I shake my head when I look on ebay and see die cast cars that once brought over $100 being offered for pennies on the dollar and getting no takers.

It's really not as rare as it may seem. Yea, Aaron's raced a few different schools (Kentucky, Alabama, Auburn, etc), but there's been more.

Yep, this was the car Michael Waltrip ran in celebration of the Evil Empire's 2012 National Championship:

Michael+Waltrip+Kentucky+Speedway+Day+1+

Best car design ever!

spacer.png

Archived