In search of Larry O'Brien: 2015 NBA Playoffs

buzzcut

If LeBron was every bit as good as Jordan... I can't see him losing in 2011 and 2014. He had a championship-worthy cast (even in 2014 with a worn-down Wade). It's going to be hard for him to shake 4 Finals losses, even if 2 weren't entirely his fault. But I do think LeBron and the Cavs have the potential to win 2-3 titles. Kyrie is still quite young, their team will benefit greatly with a full offseason, and with everyone healthy they'll be much better next year. It was a shame to see Kyrie go down and make what looked to be one of the more interesting Finals in recent history into a potentially more one-sided affair.

If LeBron carries the Cavs through this series? Fine. We can say that Jordan didn't quite do that, but that leaves him at .500 in Finals and 2 huge missed opportunities.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Irving out for Finals. Fractured knee; having surgery.

Sweep.

LeBron might be able to carry them to one, but I doubt it gets past that at best.

Really crushing blow, I was looking forward to this "new blood" Finals and this is what we get.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

We just saw LeBron's best fall short, and that was with 4 quarters of Irving. It will the same result in 1-2 fewer games.

Outside of NOLA and OKC, I'm not sure which West teams are supposed to be better next year. Maybe Dallas? We could easily have a GSt-CLE rematch in 2016. It'll be funny to hear "UGH, THE WARRIORS AND CAVS??? AGAIN???"

PJU85JF.png

I'm finding myself feeling bad for Cleveland because they fell for it again. All my friends got roped in again and now social media is quietly anticipating depression.

If Lebron drags this group of body bags to the championship he should get his own personal Larry O'Brien trophy.

PvO6ZWJ.png

2016 just became much more interesting. A shattered kneecap for a point guard is going to take awhile to recover from and I imagine those first few months, with both Love and Irving trying to get back into the groove of things, will be pretty tedious.

Hypothetically, if Love signs a new contract with Cleveland this summer but both him and Irving struggle with injuries and cost them a chance at another Finals...what is LeBron going to do? Obviously he'll get an insane contract if he sticks with Cleveland but the team would have hardly any flexibility since they have two now injury-prone max players. I don't know another team that he would jump ship to but it'll be interesting to watch.

GR30a5H.png

Sweep.

Having watched ABC's three or four different replays of the injury last night, I would have never thought Irving fractured his kneecap. Thought for sure it was some kind of sprain or dislocation.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Sweep.

That's terrible. I feel really bad for Irving. Hopefully, they'll make it back next year and with a healthy team.

This series is a wrap.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Sweep.

That's terrible. I feel really bad for Irving. Hopefully, they'll make it back next year and with a healthy team.

This series is a wrap.

Problem is Kyrie was his healthiest this season.

He has missed nearly 20% of regular season games in his brief career.

Problem is.. he is rarely healthy.

Him winning the ASG MVP kicked in one escalator, and making this years ASG gave him more he won't get full Rose Rule due to agreeing not to, but he will still earn 27.5% of the cap.

Bleh.

One thing is for certain next year... Gotta rest the big 3 if they all return. No more 40 minute games. No more 4 in 5 nights.

Just curious what we here locally should call this. When LeBron left the first time, he had The Elbow which everyone forgets. Now this year, we have The Shoulder and The Knee... So is this The Joints? That might be a poor name considering Love and Kyrie's early season handshake.

In 2007 Lebron carried a crappy team to the Finals when they ran into a buzzsaw. Should we hold it against them that they made it that far?

2007 to me is not so much about that Cavs team not being ready for the Finals spotlight against the superior Spurs, but rather how the hell the Pistons lost to those Cavs in the first place.

Of all the NBA teams that ever blew a 2-0 series lead, there was never a greater gap between teams than THAT. Unlike Bulls-Knicks '93 or Spurs-Thunder 2012, you never felt like Pistons-Cavs should have been a fair fight. All those veteran experienced defense Pistons had a 2-0 lead with homecourt against THAT Cavs team- and choked

I blame the Pistons for the 2007 Finals- we all knew those Cavs were in trouble against the Spurs, so blame Detroit for not doing their part and not giving us at least one more game.

Detroit should have never allowed LeBron to carry those Cavs in the first place.

It's the most underrated chokejob in NBA playoff history.

I guess I'm taking the long view. It'll be sad if in 20 years we look at LeBron like we look at Wilt Chamberlain. He's the best player of his generation, but he might not have the rings he could have had he landed in different situations.

One difference is that LeBron never ran into the same guy over and over again ala Bill Russell

I think LeBron is the more talented player of the two, but Jordan is the better player.

Jordan also never resorted to teaming up with two top-10 players and forming a superteam, either.

Jordan did it in college pairing with Worthy and Perkins.

I think LeBron is the more talented player of the two, but Jordan is the better player.

Jordan also never resorted to teaming up with two top-10 players and forming a superteam, either.

And had a superteam built for him in the NBA by his original team's front office, thereby removing any reason to leave.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

And had a superteam built for him in the NBA by his original team's front office, thereby removing any reason to leave.

exactly. i don't wanna hear people like jordan, magic or bird talking about not leaving their teams to win. gimme a break. those guys were all phenomenal, but so were their teammates. magic played with the best big man of a generation and one of the best wings of that era. jordan played with one of the best small fowards of all time, and during his 2nd three-peat had one of the best rebounders of all time, plus had a legendary coach. bird's celtics (and the celtics franchise in general) is just endlessly stacked with hall-of-fame talent. i think somewhere along the way, these old guys started buying their own hype and believed that they were dragging a group of stiffs to multiple championships when that simply wasn't the case.

michael jordan would not have 6 titles if his best teammates in chicago were bj armstrong, luc longley and horace grant. period.

Archived