In search of Larry O'Brien: 2015 NBA Playoffs

buzzcut

There's a difference between rigging and incompetence. Never seen refs not give the benefit of the doubt to LeBron James quite like this.

And then Curry pulls a Harden, not attempting a shot so much as trying to draw a foul.

I really hate that call. I'm guarding a guy and he jumps into me, but I fouled him somehow. Hate that call.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Warriors would be screwed if this was the 2-3-2 format.

The Cavs would win all 3 games at home? Because the Warriors only win at home?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

One thing I was glad to see with the refs was the lack of superstar calls given. Some players are better than others but fouls should always be fouls rather its James Jones driving to the rim or LeBron driving to the rim the refs should call fouls when it's there and not based on who is in possession. Makes the game fairer.

I mean… yes and no.

LeBron’s unlike pretty much any other player in the league; he’s 6’8”, 270 lbs. and can do… whatever. It’s impossible to properly compare the foul calls he gets to the ones any other player who drives the ball gets.

LeBron gets hacked on pretty much every drive to the basket. It’s just that they don’t look as egregious because he isn’t, say, 6’2”, 200 lbs.

Plus, it’s about the only way to stop him.

6fQjS3M.png

The Cavs needed the perfect storm tonight- Scott Foster (Road teams never lose games he refs), Curry shot badly, all the missed threes, a whistle that was friendly for them- and they STILL almost choked the game away.

If not for Delly, David Blatt would be getting crucified for not putting in Mozgov late, who was a beast tonight.

Thompson is literally rebounds and nothing else.

The Cavs deserved to lose this game. They are SO damn lucky.

If Dellevedova doesn't pull a Jimmy Butler and go 48 minutes each night, they aren't gonna get away with 'Everyone not named LeBron doesn't know a damn thing about ball movement.'

I don't get the "team X deserved ____" thing. it's not like the ref screwed GSW out of a win. the cavs have been the best defensive team in these playoffs. they went on the road in the first two games against the best offensive team in the league, a 67-win team at that, and played two great defensive games, both ending in OT. they won 1 of them. where's the deserve? these two games have yielded the exact results you should expect based on how both teams have played. they've been all but evenly matched so far.

this is gonna be a fun series.

The Cavs needed the perfect storm tonight- Scott Foster (Road teams never lose games he refs), Curry shot badly, all the missed threes, a whistle that was friendly for them- and they STILL almost choked the game away.

If not for Delly, David Blatt would be getting crucified for not putting in Mozgov late, who was a beast tonight.

Thompson is literally rebounds and nothing else.

The Cavs deserved to lose this game. They are SO damn lucky.

If Dellevedova doesn't pull a Jimmy Butler and go 48 minutes each night, they aren't gonna get away with 'Everyone not named LeBron doesn't know a damn thing about ball movement.'

Really? The Cavs to me deserved to win and the Warriors were lucky to have a shot at the end because of the egregious no-calls committed at the end. In fact, I'd say the Cavaliers have outplayed the Warriors so far. The Warriors are lucky the Cavs didn't win that first game otherwise they'd be down 0-2.

The Warriors seem a little too loose though. They have that attitude of "we can shoot ourselves out of any deficit so don't worry" which is a good trait to have, but they can't keep expecting to make runs at the end of the game to get back in it.

And the Cavaliers need to stop "playing not to lose" at the end of games. They stop running their offense at the end of games and it nearly cost them tonight.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Yeah. LeBron settling for mid-range jumpers with three minutes to go in the fourth of every playoff game is distressing.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

One thing I was glad to see with the refs was the lack of superstar calls given. Some players are better than others but fouls should always be fouls rather its James Jones driving to the rim or LeBron driving to the rim the refs should call fouls when it's there and not based on who is in possession. Makes the game fairer.

LeBron’s unlike pretty much any other player in the league; he’s 6’8”, 270 lbs. and can do… whatever. It’s impossible to properly compare the foul calls he gets to the ones any other player who drives the ball gets.

LeBron gets hacked on pretty much every drive to the basket. It’s just that they don’t look as egregious because he isn’t, say, 6’2”, 200 lbs.

Its the Shaq-effect. Shaq suffered from the same treatment. Yes, Shaq and LeBron definitely dish it out and got away with offensive fouls. However, both LeBron and Shaq got fouled on the regular and because they are so much bigger/stronger/faster they can shed the contact easier than say... Steph Curry. That doesn't mean it isn't a foul. It just doesn't look as egregious (as you say).

I typically don't like when referees blow the whistle on game winning drives, however, there needs to be consistency with the calls. If they don't want to call a foul on the LeBron drive (where he was clearly fouled multiple times), then that's fine. But when LeBron gets hacked across his face and both arms up near the elbow, nowhere near the ball, you have to call something... especially when an official was standing 10 feet away.

The NBA has a real problem... since the start of the Boston series, there has been an officiating problem. I don't know what the answer is, but it seems officials are callings fouls based on how much time is on the clock as opposed to what is going on in the game.

As I said before, they are on the biggest stage, with some of the highest ratings, and the officials are $hitting the bed.

Imagine if two captains were to draft two teams from the players still playing in the finals. LeBron would go first. How long until the next Cavs player is picked? At least five Warriors go after LeBron.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Imagine if two captains were to draft two teams from the players still playing in the finals. LeBron would go first. How long until the next Cavs player is picked? At least five Warriors go after LeBron.

I am assuming it would be along the lines of:

1. LeBron
  2. Curry
  3. Klay
  4. Green
  5. Tristian/Mozgov
  6. Iguadala
  7. Mozgov/Tristian

Don't even want to think about if the Cavs had a healthy Irving & Love. Yikes.

Sorry, if you are going to say healthy, you gotta include Anderson Varejao. He was the Cavs' starting Center last year. We could technically be saying 3 of 5 starters missing. Currently, only 1 starter from last year is starting this series - Tristian Thompson.

• LeBron
  • Curry
  • Klay
  • Green
  • Tristian/Mozgov
  • Iguadala
  • Mozgov/Tristian
Big men would go Mozgov-Bogut-Thompson. Thompson is undersized and his game is very limited outside of rebounding. Also, Iguadola over Mozgov.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

• LeBron
  • Curry
  • Klay
  • Green
  • Tristian/Mozgov
  • Iguadala
  • Mozgov/Tristian
Big men would go Mozgov-Bogut-Thompson. Thompson is undersized and his game is very limited outside of rebounding. Also, Iguadola over Mozgov.

I'm not sure I agree. The narrative since the Chicago series has been Tristian has grabbed every rebound, from every shot, and on the offensive end, he grabs multiple rebounds per possession. Now, we all know that's not the case. But I think Tristian would be valued higher than Iguadala, especially after 4 wing players would be drafted before him.

As for Mozgov compared to Tristian... Mozgov hasn't been playing in the second half. Even though he is a good free throw shooter, can defend the paint, and has a limited offensive game - which is significantly more of an offensive game than Tristian - I think perception has Tristian as a better player than Mozgov.

Mozgov is a better player on offense, defense, and is a reliable FT shooter for a big man. He's also 4 inches taller, which helps on defense and with rebounding.

Mozgov is a better player on offense, defense, and is a reliable FT shooter for a big man. He's also 4 inches taller, which helps on defense and with rebounding.

I've watched the guy all year. I know exactly what he is and what he contributes to the team. I was going based on perception. And right now, perception is that Tristian is an unstoppable force on the glass, younger, and more athletic. How many times have we see stories or pieces or sound bites about Tristian as opposed to Timofey? How many times has Tristian been in the post-game press conference these Playoffs compared to Mozgov? Point made.

I've watched the guy all year. I know exactly what he is and what he contributes to the team. I was going based on perception. And right now, perception is that Tristian is an unstoppable force on the glass, younger, and more athletic. How many times have we see stories or pieces or sound bites about Tristian as opposed to Timofey? How many times has Tristian been in the post-game press conference these Playoffs compared to Mozgov? Point made.

Thats cuz the dude can barely speak English man.

sig.png

Speaking English has nothing to do with websites, newpapers, or TV shows writing/talking ABOUT him. Timofey doesn't have to speak English well for Mike Wilbon or Kenny Smith to sing his praises. And that's the point I'm making. He is rarely mentioned. On the other hand, Tristian is brought up regularly. When comparing the two, it isn't even close.

His playing time in the second half, more specifically the 4th quarter, also contributes to his lower "re-draft" order. He plays minimal minutes in the second half. Its been the trend since the mid point of the season. If I'm the average fan... I'm drafting Tristian before Mozgov because I see and hear so much more about TT than Timo.

Speaking English has nothing to do with websites, newpapers, or TV shows writing/talking ABOUT him. Timofey doesn't have to speak English well for Mike Wilbon or Kenny Smith to sing his praises. And that's the point I'm making. He is rarely mentioned. On the other hand, Tristian is brought up regularly. When comparing the two, it isn't even close.

His playing time in the second half, more specifically the 4th quarter, also contributes to his lower "re-draft" order. He plays minimal minutes in the second half. Its been the trend since the mid point of the season. If I'm the average fan... I'm drafting Tristian before Mozgov because I see and hear so much more about TT than Timo.

Being talked about by Kenny Smith more than someone doesn't necessarily mean they're better. I'd rather have Mozgov on the floor because he is more than just a 6'8" rebounder, even though Thompson does do an admirable job.

LeBron, for being considered possibly top 5 of all time, does not get any superstar calls.

Please. Lebron had gotten horribly blatant superstar calls his entire career. I was shocked at the no-call at the end of regulation. But even though it hurts the integrity of the game and all that crap, good. I won't shed a tear for him getting screwed over once after all the benefit of the doubt he's gotten in his career. Most notably in my mind, when he was guarding Derrick Rose in the 2011 ECF, elbowed Rose in the face, and Rose was called for fouling Lebron's elbow with his head (and of course immediately T'ed up upon objection). Lebron can go piss up a rope.

Anyway, I HATE the foul Curry got by leaping into the defender late in the game. That's a total bull :censored: call that the NBA needs to eliminate. If a defender is in mid-air, he should have the right to that "air" and not be called for a foul when a guy hurls himself into him. I think if the offensive player initiates the contact, he committed the foul (if anybody).

As for the series, I agree that the Warriors have played two awful games. Last night they should have won that game ten times over. So many opportunities to win. Dellavedova played a great game, but the majority of Curry's awful shooting was just him having a terrible night. I still think the Warriors will win this series in 6 games tops, but they really need to pull their heads out of their asses.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

LeBron, for being considered possibly top 5 of all time, does not get any superstar calls.

Please. Lebron had gotten horribly blatant superstar calls his entire career. I was shocked at the no-call at the end of regulation. But even though it hurts the integrity of the game and all that crap, good. I won't shed a tear for him getting screwed over once after all the benefit of the doubt he's gotten in his career. Most notably in my mind, when he was guarding Derrick Rose in the 2011 ECF, elbowed Rose in the face, and Rose was called for fouling Lebron's elbow with his head (and of course immediately T'ed up upon objection). Lebron can go piss up a rope.

Anyway, I HATE the foul Curry got by leaping into the defender late in the game. That's a total bull :censored: call that the NBA needs to eliminate. If a defender is in mid-air, he should have the right to that "air" and not be called for a foul when a guy hurls himself into him. I think if the offensive player initiates the contact, he committed the foul (if anybody).

As for the series, I agree that the Warriors have played two awful games. Last night they should have won that game ten times over. So many opportunities to win. Dellavedova played a great game, but the majority of Curry's awful shooting was just him having a terrible night. I still think the Warriors will win this series in 6 games tops, but they really need to pull their heads out of their asses.

Yeah, they need to find a way to stop calling that. The idea that hurling your shoulder into someone and letting go of the ball is "shooting" is comical. This is a much bigger problem than ever needed solving with that under-the-basket arc.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived