2015/16 International Football

Crabcake

News breaking that the FA Council have voted down the latest attempt to rename Hull City as 'Hull Tigers' - 70% voted against the proposal, apparently.

Splendid news for those of us of a black and amber persuasion. :)

Great news for you guys!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit bummed about the Schweinsteiger move, a player I love going to a team I hate...

Anyway, that's good news about Hull City. Hopefully you guys can put that nonsense behind you now.

Ditto and ditto. A really talented guy and a great leader. Huge respect for him, but it seems he will not be joining my FIFA 16 ultimate team.

spacer.png

I've always loved his name (Bastian Schweinsteiger... How much more German can you get?) and I've come to love his play, now I can come to love him on my team.

Welcome to the squad!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

United looking better as Darmian completes his move. I'd like them to hold on to Chicharito but he's probably still going to move. Orlando City rumored to give him a salary of $10 million. That'd be tops in MLS by a little bit if true.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I also posted this in the North american soccer thread as it was being debated in that also.

The trouble with including friendlies in the rankings is that not all the top teams use their best team line ups and use these games to experiment with players who are on the fringe of making the national team. That means you might be beating a top nation by name but not beating the top team at full strength. Friendlies are called just that for a reason and to experiment.

In Europe soon less friendlies will be played due to the European nations league set up. It is divided into groups of the top teams and has divisions going down to the lesser nations giving a more competitive match up. This means you will see more matches between say England, Spain, Germany etc than them playing against Gibraltar, Faroe Islands etc. Those lesser nations will be playing more against their level. This cuts out the meaningless friendlies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E2%80%9319_UEFA_Nations_League

And pretty much :censored:s over the rest of the world when it comes to getting games against competitive teams, but hey, it’s whatever.

6fQjS3M.png

In other stadium news, AC Milan got approval to build their new stadium near their new headquarters, Casa Milan, which opened last year. It's supposed to open in 2018.

http://www.espnfc.com/ac-milan/story/2515877/ac-milan-awarded-right-to-build-new-urban-stadium

As a Milan fan, I love it. The San Siro is pretty old, and they obviously have difficulty filling it nowadays. Now hopefully I can go to a match there in the future.

Not even close to being approved, in fact they still have to start the bureaucratic procedure and present the project to the city, they just won the bid to most of the ground where it should be built. Fat chance that it will open in 2018

Besides, MY stadium project is better than yours, so ha! :P

b_K4_BIOU.jpgvillage_1.jpg

curvasud.png

07Giants.pngnyy.png

I also posted this in the North american soccer thread as it was being debated in that also.

The trouble with including friendlies in the rankings is that not all the top teams use their best team line ups and use these games to experiment with players who are on the fringe of making the national team. That means you might be beating a top nation by name but not beating the top team at full strength. Friendlies are called just that for a reason and to experiment.

In Europe soon less friendlies will be played due to the European nations league set up. It is divided into groups of the top teams and has divisions going down to the lesser nations giving a more competitive match up. This means you will see more matches between say England, Spain, Germany etc than them playing against Gibraltar, Faroe Islands etc. Those lesser nations will be playing more against their level. This cuts out the meaningless friendlies.

And pretty much :censored:s over the rest of the world when it comes to getting games against competitive teams, but hey, it’s whatever.

But say Germany play Gibraltar and win 10-0 in a meaningless friendly does not do any justice to either team. It does not help Gibraltar in any way apart from destroying confidence and for Germany they would prefer a much tighter match for players at their level. So it does not :censored: over the rest of the world like you think it does. It is making it a level playing field for everyone.

glory10.png

But say Germany play Gibraltar and win 10-0 in a meaningless friendly does not do any justice to either team. It does not help Gibraltar in any way apart from destroying confidence and for Germany they would prefer a much tighter match for players at their level. So it does not :censored: over the rest of the world like you think it does. It is making it a level playing field for everyone.

Germany and Gibraltar don’t play friendlies against each other in the first place. It’s one hell of a red herring argument.

And if it doesn’t :censored: over the rest of the world, answer this:

If UEFA teams are no longer available for opposition, who, outside of CONMEBOL, should Brazil schedule for their upcoming friendly in order to get a world-class opponent?

6fQjS3M.png

Germany and Gibraltar don’t play friendlies against each other in the first place. It’s one hell of a red herring argument.

If UEFA teams are no longer available for opposition, who, outside of CONMEBOL, should Brazil schedule for their upcoming friendly in order to get a world-class opponent?

They will still play friendlies against the USA and the top South American teams. They will do this towards build up for tournaments. All they are doing is stopping the friendlies that mean nothing in europe. Now please stop jumping to conclusions.

glory10.png

They will still play friendlies against the USA and the top South American teams. They will do this towards build up for tournaments. All they are doing is stopping the friendlies that mean nothing in europe. Now please stop jumping to conclusions.

Hooray for us! We get limited to, like, four shots every two years at playing a UEFA side.

What conclusions am I jumping to? Starting next summer, UEFA teams will either be qualifying for a major tournament, or partaking in the Nations League in virtually every matchday on the international calendar.

The only international matchdays in which qualifying, a major competition or the Nations League will not be taking place are…

- March 2018

- Pre-WC friendlies

- Pre-EURO friendlies

That’s it.

So… unless we want to settle for whichever countries are drawn into five-team qualifying groups — and remember, England, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the Netherlands all must be drawn into six-team groups — we’re not getting significant time against UEFA sides.

But that’s okay, it’s not necessary to think of the rest of the world.

6fQjS3M.png

Hooray for us! We get limited to, like, four shots every two years at playing a UEFA side.

What conclusions am I jumping to? Starting next summer, UEFA teams will either be qualifying for a major tournament, or partaking in the Nations League in virtually every matchday on the international calendar.

The only international matchdays in which qualifying, a major competition or the Nations League will not be taking place are…

- March 2018

- Pre-WC friendlies

- Pre-EURO friendlies

That’s it.

So… unless we want to settle for whichever countries are drawn into five-team qualifying groups — and remember, England, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the Netherlands all must be drawn into six-team groups — we’re not getting significant time against UEFA sides.

To make this a little easier to understand about the Uefa Nations League.

Take one top group consisting of England, Italy, Germany for example. On the day England play Italy that leaves Germany to play an international friendly against someone else. So when Italy play Germany that then leaves England free. This will happen within all the groups in the Uefa Nations League. So there will be dates amongst that competition where teams wont be playing in the nations league and will leave them to play other nations including the U.S.A or South American sides. It's not very hard to understand.

You are making such a meal of this it's getting silly on your behalf. You really have not grasped the whole concept of this apart from your brain telling you no-one wants to play the U.S.A anymore from UEFA which is not the case. I am not carrying this on any further as all you are doing is making it America is being hard done by.

glory10.png

- March 2018

- Pre-WC friendlies

- Pre-EURO friendlies

That’s it.

I really don't understand why this would be a problem. UEFA is not obligated to consider FA that are not members. They plan and decide according to what they think is best for their constituent members, no reason why they should try to improve rival federations, in fact that would be against their mission statement of promoting and improving European football.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

He's gone. He's finally, actually gone. After treating his club and his manager with disrespect I thought wasn't possible in a 20 year old, Raheem Sterling is off to Man City on a £49 million deal (£44 million up front). The way I see it, we'll look back in 5, 10, 15 years and say one of two things:

1. "Wow. I can't believe Man City only paid £50 million for the kid! What a steal!"

2. "Man, can you believe Man City actually PAID Liverpool £50 million for Sterling!? Bust city!"

spacer.png

- March 2018

- Pre-WC friendlies

- Pre-EURO friendlies

That’s it.

I really don't understand why this would be a problem. UEFA is not obligated to consider FA that are not members. They plan and decide according to what they think is best for their constituent members, no reason why they should try to improve rival federations, in fact that would be against their mission statement of promoting and improving European football.

Oh, I’m not saying it’s not within UEFA’s rights. I’m saying I dislike them for it. There’s two different things there.

6fQjS3M.png

To make this a little easier to understand about the Uefa Nations League.

Take one top group consisting of England, Italy, Germany for example. On the day England play Italy that leaves Germany to play an international friendly against someone else. So when Italy play Germany that then leaves England free. This will happen within all the groups in the Uefa Nations League. So there will be dates amongst that competition where teams wont be playing in the nations league and will leave them to play other nations including the U.S.A or South American sides. It's not very hard to understand.

You are making such a meal of this it's getting silly on your behalf. You really have not grasped the whole concept of this apart from your brain telling you no-one wants to play the U.S.A anymore from UEFA which is not the case. I am not carrying this on any further as all you are doing is making it America is being hard done by.

Oh, I wholeheartedly understand the Nations League. I also understand there are four teams worth a damn available each “match day,” and that there will be more than four teams from the rest of the world looking to schedule friendlies against those teams.

Plus, if the Nations League will be taken as seriously as you claim it will be, they won’t want to schedule competitive friendlies in those match days, instead opening up a chance to rotate their squads.

Regardless, there will be significantly fewer opportunities for non-European teams to play top UEFA sides moving forward. If you can’t see why that’s frustrating, well, that’s not my problem.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived