McCarthy's NHL

Sport

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oilers_zpshfkzi4ov.png

This one might get me in trouble because I used the hated phantom yoke, but this could be the one case where it works. You’ll notice the white uniforms are essentially the exact same (save for the shoulder patch. More on that later). It’s the blue jersey that got the major overhaul.

When the Oilers ditched their navy and copper 90’s uniforms for the 2007 EDGE changeover and later reverting back to the Gretzky uniforms I think they threw out the baby with the bathwater by dropping their awesome secondary logo. That’s returned in new orange and blue colors.

The blue jersey’s biggest problem and the thing that makes it look so dated is its overuse of orange. Orange yoke, orange cuffs up to the sleeve stripes, orange numbers with offset white outline is entirely too much of that color. It's a lot to look at all at once. Also, I enjoy consistency when it makes sense to employ it and now the two jerseys are direct inverse of one another home to road. The yoke is now blue with an orange outline on both jerseys, the orange sleeve cuff is gone on the blues, and the numbers are a more visually pleasing and more legible white with offset orange outline.

This is a modern way to solve the Oilers’ uniforms problems without completely distancing themselves from their visual history in the way the navy, copper, and red did in the 90’s.

Can we get a close up of the shoulder patches?

Oilalt_zpsxyacvhp6.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

blue-jackets_zpsfhcayxa4.png

The Blue Jackets 2004 alternates broke a major design rule when they paired black and navy blue together, but in doing so they created a stellar uniform that somehow worked. It deserved primary status in 2007 with the EDGE takeover, but instead we got a stripped down version. I like the Blue Jackets current uniforms, but I think this concept sets them apart from the other blue and red teams in the league and gives the Jackets their very own unique look. It brings back the black, plus a few additional stars, and pairs it with a white version.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Holy crap that Oilers patch is amazing!!

It's only a recolour of an existing logo. It's still stellar, but it's not his creation.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Holy crap that Oilers patch is amazing!!

It's only a recolour of an existing logo. It's still stellar, but it's not his creation.

yeah I can't take responsibility for that other than changing the colors. It was pretty easy actually.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Sabres_zpskmorfkoy.png

A lot of people want the Sabres to go back to royal blue and yellow. I'm not one of those people. I like their navy and yellow look and think their template has strong potential to be a cool, striking visual. I threw some white into the stripes on the blues, dropped the ill-advised piping and pit stains, tinkered with the striping dimensions, and returned the killer B patch they wore up until the end of the Buffaslug jerseys to the shoulders.

The primary logo has also changed. The old crest is a fine logo, but adding silver outlines to it and calling it a day is not a good solution. This new primary takes elements from their classic crest and pairs it with the swords from the early 2000's red alternate. I also simplified the number of outlines on the circle backer and flipped the Buffalo so he's moving left to right, which implies forward movement.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Everything you posted up since I last saw this has been excellent.

The Beej concept reminds me of one I did, but your's is much more planned out.

The Shawks are perfect, except I'd add a lil more orange.

Oilers don't need the phantom yoke, but I like it here. Minny is another team I could see using the Phantom yoke.

Panthers and Ducks are perfect.

jets_zpswvi9fadk.png

So I really like what the Jets did with their uniforms when they relocated from Atlanta. I think they're sharp, and the colors work together, and they're a modern take on the old club. The only change I'd make would be to standardize the hem stripe, and I switched the sleeve and sock striping on the home jersey to royal blue. This clears up the consistency issues and infuses some more color into the home look.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I love your concepts so far, but I am not a big fan of the Sabres logo. I think that just having the swords and the circle would be perfect and complete the uniforms. The buffalo looks crammed in their, and compared to the more modern swords, it looks very old and outdated.

Keep up the good work!

• 4 weeks later...

The Blue Jackets look great. The one problem is to me that the black is to dark to go with navy. Maybe you a charcoal grey instead. Other than that, it looks great.

One would think that. I would've thought that if I hadn't seen these beauties with my own two eyes

fedorovb.jpg

18s41sdlcrhe2jpg.jpg

something about it just works. Also I'm not putting charcoal gray, the color of the Confederate uniforms, on the Blue Jackets.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• 8 months later...

Archived