Teams that could use some BFBS

WavePunter

I think the Cleveland Indians could look better by using black in place of their navy. If they had a more unique color scheme, I would say leave it alone. But MLB can afford to spare a red/white/blue team, and I think the Indians are a good candidate to do so, especially if and when they finally ditch Wahoo.

In some other thread, people were talking about how the Indians alts this year looked almost black. When I pictured the jerseys actually being black, I think they looked better.

By the way, I am not taking "tradition" into account when saying something like this, so don't get all "but they've always done it that way" on me.

I realize your disclaimer at the end but that’s still… weak. It’s like saying, “Yeah, Wisconsin should start wearing black because there are a lotta red college teams.”

The Indians have worn blue for every year of their 115-season existence.

If you want to “sacrifice” a team, I’d suggest finding someone… else.

Nah. I'm not just saying that they should start wearing black just because there are too many other navy teams. I am also saying they should wear black because it would actually look good for them. They would also be the only red/white/black team in the AL.

The fact is that too many AL teams are some form of red white blue. NYY, BOS, TOR, CLE, MIN, TEX, LAA. All of these teams, at least in their primary logo, emphasize red/white/blue. That is nearly half the league. They are simply the first MLB team that came to mind when considering a team that could use a change.

I did not take the Indian's "tradition" into account when deciding that they might look better with black instead of navy. But if you want to bring tradition into this ... despite their longevity, the Indians are a forgettable enough (to the average baseball fan, not to people who live in Ohio) franchise that a switch from navy to black (which is not a drastic change) isn't something most baseball fans would see as sacrilege. We're talking about the Indians here, not the Yankees or Red Sox. I had no idea that they were even 115 years old, or that they had worn blue their entire existence If you had told me they had only been around since the 50s or 60s, and that their original color scheme was black and red, I would have believed you. That's how irrelevant their history is to the average baseball fan.

Also, as a mod, you really shouldn't be telling someone else that their opinion on a team's color scheme is "weak." That's something you would tell a non-mod they shouldn't do ... so you shouldn't do it either. In other words, try to lead by example.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, as a mod, you really shouldn't be telling someone else that their opinion on a team's color scheme is "weak." That's something you would tell a non-mod they shouldn't do ... so you shouldn't do it either. In other words, try to lead by example.

Mods are allowed to have an opinion, and are allowed to disagree with you. If you put your opinion out there in public? People can, and will, disagree with it. Mod or not.

And that's fine. It would just be preferable if you could disagree with someone without insulting them in a backhanded manner.

The con to that is if it is forced badly without depth to the style (SF new black atrocious uni..no white or gold outline). That's why most of these BFBS sucks.

Example good
Los-Angeles-Lakers-8-Kobe-Bryant-Black-T
kobetrophies.jpg

Was on the cover of a SLAM magazine and done well. Gold black and purple. Compliment each other well.

Suns new black...all bad...Rockets new black uniform...all good (but a little yellow would have been perfect)

shado_logo.gif

The Lightning's look is so good, I'm hesitant to mess with it at all.

I don't care if it resembles another club. The White Sox look fantastic as well regardless of how closely their uniforms approximate the Yankees' iconic look.

What's good about it? Every aspect of the identity screams "bland," from the derivative colour scheme & striping to the embarrassingly simplistic logos. The most unforgivable aspect of the identity however, is how they finally got their logo right with the previous rebrand. All they needed to do was put it on a version of inaugural set, with blue replacing black as the primary colour, and they'd have a perfect look that honoured their cup winning past.

I don't care if it resembles another club. The White Sox look fantastic as well regardless of how closely their uniforms approximate the Yankees' iconic look.

What's good about it? Every aspect of the identity screams "bland," from the derivative colour scheme & striping to the embarrassingly simplistic logos. The most unforgivable aspect of the identity however, is how they finally got their logo right with the previous rebrand. All they needed to do was put it on a version of inaugural set, with blue replacing black as the primary colour, and they'd have a perfect look that honoured their cup winning past.

It's good because it derives from two of the nicest jerseys in the sport. Derivative? Sure. Bland? No. Good looking? Hell yeah.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

It's not bland? They took the Red Wings striping, applied the Maple Leafs colour scheme and slapped on a logo, any amateur "designer" could create in the span of a minute. I suppose the true genius of the rebrand lies in the secondary logo, where they made the mind blowing decision to outline said bland logo (albeit stretched) with "Tampa Bay Lightning Hockey Club..." :rolleyes:, I suppose in a vacuum it could look good but when you've already won a championship in a distinctive identity, whose only problem was the primary logo, it comes off as lazy. Especially, when the previous, 2007, update rectified these aforementioned shortcomings.

Agreed, besides i've seen a million different concepts and none look as good as what they have now. And their 2007 logo was atrocious.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Canucks bring back the 94 era black jersey as a retro alt. Time to let the Millionaires jerseys die.

I have good news for you, the Canucks are wearing that jersey again for one game this coming season against the Leafs to celebrate 20 years at Rogers Arena. As for the Millionaires jersey, I hope they keep wearing it once a year until we win a game in it. After that, then I would be happy to see it go, especially if either the 94' jersey or 40th Anniversary jersey take its place.

Two thoughts:

1. If a team can actually use black in their identity, is it really BFBS? The whole point of the "BFBS" term is that you're shoehorning into an identity where it doesn't belong at all.

2. Re: Indians going to black instead of navy. Besides having navy in their identity for 100+ years, red-white-black is already the color scheme of the other MLB team in the state of Ohio. No way the Indians take on the Reds' colors.

I said earlier...ANY team that has a white uniform (every one does)...can easily have a black one. It's not BFBS it's just an opposite color. Just like all primary baseball team Road uniforms are grey!!

People need to snap out of it. Black is beautiful as well as a neutral color.

It works for everyone.

shado_logo.gif

I said earlier...ANY team that has a white uniform (every one does)...can easily have a black one. It's not BFBS it's just an opposite color. Just like all primary baseball team Road uniforms are grey!!

It works for everyone.

No. Black is absolutely not a neutral color. It clashes with navy and brown, for one. White goes with everything except cream. And while you occasionally have issues of yellow outlines disappearing against white jerseys, with black you either have: 1) illegible numbers like the 49ers alts; or 2) jerseys which omit or marginalize the team's actual primary color because it doesn't pair well with black, like Stanford's black alts.

The Calgary Flames have looked good with black at various points. The NY Jets looked great in Kelly green and black. The Arizona Cardinals look like crap, but black is the least of their worries. Literally every other addition of black from the last 25 years has been to the detriment of the look. The Lions don't need it. The 49ers didn't need it. The Mets' black alternates were total garbage - ugly on their own and inappropriate for the Mets.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

It works for everyone.

Everyone? We just saw the prime example of it NOT working.

gettyimages-4882613221.jpg

Gold would have been better.

5177304842_a101855242_o.jpg

87Redskins.png

It works for everyone.

It may have been better (slightly), but it still wouldn't have been good. Personally I never think matte gold looks good (see Philadelphia Union uniforms).

It works for everyone.

It may have been better (slightly), but it still wouldn't have been good. Personally I never think matte gold looks good (see Philadelphia Union uniforms).

Agreed, still ugly but at least readable, and using actual team colors.

87Redskins.png

Archived